I’ve heard that Russian and Ukrainian are mutually intelligible, to the point of almost being the same language...

I’ve heard that Russian and Ukrainian are mutually intelligible, to the point of almost being the same language. But when I put the same English sentence into google translate for each language, I get completely different-sounding results. What’s up with that?

Attached: D17CAEDC-4740-4FAF-9D55-3F99634BE364.jpg (500x281, 45.33K)

>I’ve heard that Russian and Ukrainian are mutually intelligible, to the point of almost being the same language
did you happen to hear this from a gentleman called ivan ivanovich?

Maybe the entire "they are the same" story comes from people who never heard the two and don't understand cyrillics?

They are the same story comes from the fact that you speak ukrainian in front of russians, and russian with each other lol, or maybe because your president learnt ukrainian in one month.

I understand about 70% of ukranian despite never learning it. Languages are indeed similar but vocabulary is somewhat different.

the difference in lexical composition between Ukrainian and Russian is 38%, to be exact. The same difference is between French and Portuguese.

>I’ve heard that Russian and Ukrainian are mutually intelligible, to the point of almost being the same language
You've heard wrong.

i can only understand maybe 40% of what they're saying

I understand like 60% of Ukranian
t Russian

how different are they exactly and how many ukrainians speak russian?

what about grammatical and orthographical distance

It's because lots of Ukrainians speak Russian and a lot of Ukrainians speak Surzhyk

Also it's pretty common for people to exaggerate mutual intelligibility
For example you will see lots of Turkish people claim that Turkish and some other Turkic language is mutually intelligible
This is common among speakers of Slavic languages

do they actually say they're mutually intelligible or just say they're the same language? because these are very different things. it just means their sense of language is different or stretched for solidarity. chinese will say all sinitic languages are just chinese and when speaking english insist on calling everything that isn't standard mandarin a 'dialect'.

But it's true. Ukrainians are just peasants that lived so much under polish rule they basically stole the polish vocabulary. 50% of your language is polish, with russian grammar

yes they are. but ukrobros will tell you russian is absolutely not understandable for ukrainians and 100% understandable for tatar-mongols.

they are the same language

thats still intelligible

Easily understandable knowing one or the other although you need to train your ear a bit and sometimes need to look up a word in dictionary.

Almost all Ukrainians can understand Russian without any problem as they either speak as their first language or had exposure to it from an early age, but Russians have difficulties understanding them just as any other Slavic languages. Considering the war situation, Ukrainians won't be speaking Russian in max 20 years or so, and the mutual intelligibility will decline even further.

Attached: russian lad.jpg (604x453, 35.06K)

The anglos of the east.

Russian and "pure" Ukrainian are quite different and pure Ukrainian is more akin to Polish. It's just that most Ukrainians don't actually speak pure Ukrainian, but rather Surzhyk, which is Russian with Ukrainian pronunciation and a few Ukrainian words strewn in here and there.

Really no , they are as close as german is close to dutch

Lmfao its like saying Scottish English is a separate language. Ukrainian and Russian are the same language.