Was season 1 a fluke?

Im still astounded to this day how well made season 1 is, and I think its a combination of Fukunaga and Pizzolatto's production, which according to reports from crewmembers were very heated and frictional, even the actors took sides on how they want the scene done by (either Pizzolatto or Fukunaga's direction)

You can see this in the dynamic of Marty and Rust, where Rust says some shit and Marty looks at Rust incredulously. In Season 2 where Nic had the most control over the series, the main characters just say Rust-like platitudes with a straight face and surrounding characters just stare out the window of the car taking it in seriously, without a hint of irony.

I did like Season 2 but it feels constrained. Either it should've just focused on Velcoro + Frank (or another detective) or it should've had twice the episodes it did (it only had like 6 episodes)

Season 3 was the anti-season 1. Everything from the plot to the setting is a callback but they make sure to point out in a very meta way, through the reporter played by Sara Gadon (and other nudges and winks along the season) that its not about pedophile cults or anything exciting - its literally just about the main character's relationship with his friends and family. The case is just adjacent.

Season 3 had multiple directors, but was originally slated for Jeremy Saulnier to helm and replace Fukunaga in the role of director. However he was fired for not being able to keep up with TV production schedules (atleast according to the official story, in my opinion Pizzolatto probably got him fired). Saulnier only directed the first two episodes and they were the most well produced episodes in the season.

Was it a fluke? Is Pizzolatto a legit retard that needs to be leashed by a capable director?

They're making a season 4 now without him and its looking promising

cinemablend.com/television/hbos-true-detective-season-4-reveals-a-first-star-and-more-details

Attached: true detectives.jpg (400x400, 96.83K)

Dano in S4

Attached: classic.jpg (2361x1080, 1.38M)

i watched 1 episode of season 2 and gave up. never watched 3 and definitely won't watch 4. it's an anthology series so why not just start over with a different name?

it's simple, talented people make good stuff. Season 2 is good but it's about the expected dip in quality when you remove Fukunaga, and the main actors

Season 1 is giga kino, I've watched it a dozen times and always discover new things. Season 2 was so bad I didn't even bother with S3, there's no way it goes back to being as high quality as it once was

>season 4 looks promising
lol no it doesnt. lesbian detectives and more niggers? written by a bunch of lesbians and nigger women? sounds like absolute garbage to me aside from the plot. pizzarino is a great writer, fukunaga obviously was very inspired by the material, as his other attempts at direction fucking suck. season 1 wasnt a fluke, it was just the only great season. season 2 would have been fine if it was called "Vinci Noir" instead of true detective.

Season 1 sucked and I'm tired of pretending it didn't

>pizzarino is a great writer, fukunaga obviously was very inspired by the material, as his other attempts at direction fucking suck.

Other way around. Literally all of Pizzolatto's other work outside of True Detective has been utter mediocrity. Watch Galveston, the magnificent seven, the guilty etc all mediocre shit affairs

Meanwhile look at Fukunaga's movies outside of true detective and you'll see he has some grade A material under his portfolio.

I think fukunaga is a better director than pizzolatto is a writer, but IMO HBO should bring them back together for 'one last job'

A 'True' Detective season where the old partners who hate each other have to work together to solve a case.

galveston was a shit movie directed by a woman and pizzarino had his name removed from the script due to how different it was from his. magnificent seven was never going to be good and he was forced to do that. read the novel galveston, its one of the most moving and depressing pieces of literature ive ever read, that is, if you can read (judging by the reddit spacing and format of your post im going to assume you cant). fukunaga has directed beasts of no nation (garbage) and no time to die (hot garbage) since true detective.

The Wire was the same way. David Simon and Ed Burns had heated fights during the show's process, but that conflict is what made the show so great. When Simon has full control like his new show We Own This City, it's just mediocre. He's too much of a writer, too focused on his big picture ideas. He needed Ed to ground him more in the characters

>When Simon has full control like his new show We Own This City, it's just mediocre.

I turned it off after 20 mins, Marlo and Poot already appeared and some woman was talking about Lake Trout, seemed like a shitty Wire knock off

biggest redpill is that mcconaughey is involved in real life pizzagate

>its one of the most moving and depressing pieces of literature ive ever read, that is, if you can read
i've read it.

Its an average crime thriller with a sad ending. Its utterly mediocre. His short stories collection was good but also just average. Pizzolatto by all accounts is just an average-tier writer with season 1 under his belt.

I get that you're in Any Forums so you obviously have to be super neurotic and point out paragraph spacing as some kind of reddit phenomenon, and of course you also have to be contrarian and say that actual good movies are garbage, but the reality is, pizzolatto has been removed by HBO for being painfully average at writing, while fukunaga has made some excellent movies.

You can blahblahblah all you want but thats the reality.

real coincidence about his elementary school being involved in a shooting shortly after he talks about getting into politics

woody harrelsons dad was a hitman for the dallas mob and the west coast syndicates. he was one of the JFK shooters and one of the "three tramps" caught and photographed trying to leave dallas that day by boxcar train.

I was really looking forward to season 3 when Saulnier was supposed to helm the whole thing. Shame it didn't work out.

Yes it was a fluke.
Pizza has some talent but clearly Cary Joji was the real powerhouse. For proof just look at Maniac, where Cary again teamed up with a gifted writer and two stars with proven chemistry, which easily moggs season 2 and 3 where Pizza tried to run every aspect by himself, hiring toady directors and a bunch of stars but making sure they have no say.

you missed out. It got really good right after that. It was only 7 or 8 episodes...how can you not just finish it? lol. Anyways I agree with OP. It is amazing just how good S1 is. That build up for the first 4 eps followed by the pay off of the last 2 is just phenomenal. I'd say you should give it another shot.

>maniac
total garbage, just like literally everything else fukunaga has done since true detective

So... like... you mean... True True Detective?

Attached: 8088d937d1005cbfedd7c565b9d46809.gif (498x371, 2.27M)

>spend a decade writing a tv show
>execs tell you they need the second season they already paid you for the next year

>tfw everyone on Any Forums would rather be racist than accept season 3 is good

>sometimes kids just go missing and die lol
>the people who rule this world totally arent child fucking devil worshipers
fuck season 3. and fuck niggers

Yes
If you watch the director's commentary they verbatim say it's lightning in a bottle that can never be recreated

Attached: 1614833589643.gif (250x250, 221.61K)