A thread to (continue) discuss(ing) the film The Thing...

A thread to (continue) discuss(ing) the film The Thing, and anything related to it (like perhaps screenings of the movie in theaters).
Who else saw it in theaters tonight? Who is going on the 22nd?

Attached: thething.jpg (800x1200, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=316302
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Since I saw it today, and watched In the Mouth of Madness last night, decided to watch Prince of Darkness right now.

oh projector anons where ar you ?

Also to this guy:
>Also also my experience did have a shitty part, we had seats reserved for the H row on 7 and 8 and someone was already sitting in them when we got there. We didn't want to be assholes so we let them sit there and moved a row down, but I guess we were in someone else's seats, so we had to move again. I was annoyed but we ended up being close to the seats we had reserved and ended up with a good view.
Don't be a cuck, the seats were yours, they're the ones being assholes.
In this thread:

Dunno why they pruned the last one, I was talking a lot of fag shit but the jannies are supposed to be on board with that.

Watched it today in the cinema, shit quality print and fucked up keystone that no one bothered correcting for. The sound was also muffled. I'll stick to watching my Blu-ray at home on an OLED

Yeah I've made that thread multiple times without issue, don't know why they got buttmad about that one. Even if it's the gay shit, just delete the posts, not the whole thread.
Was it a Fathom Events showing at one of the major chains? If it was, that wasn't a print but a satellite stream.

I heard this was going on. Highly disappointing

Yeah, fathom events at AMC. Why was it so bad?

I had a thread up but it got deleted for reasons unknown, But this is what I wrote in the OP:
Hey Any Forums, for anyone who has tickets for or is interested in seeing The Thing on June 22nd, as presented by Fathom Events, you should know that they're going to be showing it via streaming by satellite, which I have confirmed with them by email as well as is confirmed in a press release for the event.
This company, Fathom Events, has a lot of showings like these of older movies among other things, and it seems that how they show them falls into 2 categories: streamed over their "Digital Broadcast Network" (DBN) or by the theater receiving a "Digital Cinema Package" (DCP) wherein they receive actual files to play, in which case the quality is much better than the DBN method of streaming over satellite.
There have been many reports about DBN screenings of films being visibly low quality and otherwise dissatisfying.
Check this thread for more info (especially page 17 onward): forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=316302
I was excited to go see it next week but now I might cancel my tickets. You guys do what you will, hopefully any anons that need to know this info read this post.

Oh and it should be the 19th and 22nd, but I didn't put down the 19th since it was today. I just wrote:
>With all that said, the June 19th showings are/were today. Are there any anons here who saw it today? What was your experience like? Was the quality bad or did they manage to pump through enough bits to make it look decent?

Honestly I thought there would be way less people so I didn't care but about 15 minutes into the movie I realized more people had come to see it than we thought, so yeah, I cucked out and I regret it but I still ended up with decent seats.

Fuck, I wish I had known this. I've been to several fathom events in the past but it never looked this bad. The contrast couldn't have been much beyond 500:1, the geometry was fucked up, a lot of scenes looked more defocused than I remembered them and the sound quality was Garbo. Why couldn't they just use DCP package like every normal screening?

The detail that I noticed was that I couldn't make out the black slivers inside the large white letters during the title sequences. In a good print you should be able to see those.

Yeah I noticed too. It seemed soft and out of focus, plus it was cropped to 16:9.

Well now you won't make the same mistake next time, and you know your Any Forums bros would back you up for standing up for yourself and your god damned seats that belong to you.
I'm sorry user, I made that thread a few times warning people after making 2 threads promoting the event last week before I found this info. I helped some people I think but I guess you slipped through.
An user in that thread was saying it looked like a DVD. Another user had the image cropped to 16:9. Though not so many complaints about the sound, tough break on that one.
Anything else you didn't like? Anything you did like, like the crowd maybe?
You should take a look around your area, a proper screening with a (hopefully) good 35mm reel or even a screening of the 4K release that came out last year (like Alamo Drafthouse is doing in August) might be available to help wash away the disappointment.

The whole scene where MacReady is recording himself talking about how nobody trusts anyone anymore, the whole screen was very blurry with nothing in focus. It was like I was watching The Room

Thanks for your hard work user. I was in Vancouver visiting relatives last week so I didn't go on Any Forums at all during that time. I wish I had, would have saved me some money. I just watched a 4K stream 2 weeks ago and the fact that despite the compression it looked better than the cinema version told me everything I needed to know. I'll wait for an 8K HDR smelloscope release for the 50th anniversary and watch the blu-ray in the meantime.

Yeah everything was way unfocused

It's too bad about the crappy presentation but the important thing is to watch it with a group, that's what I really paid for and I don't regret it.

That is indeed a valid point and one I make when the people who say "35mm or nothing" and "Why pay when I can watch it at home?" show up.
I wonder if enjoyed seeing it with a crowd at least.
>smelloscope
Smelling the thing huh, now that would be something. Anyone been to one of those 4DX screenings of a movie that had smells?