Nuclear ships

nuclear ships

Attached: image_2022-08-22_234439062.png (364x415, 71.57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O4FapFueYnY
lowtechmagazine.com/2021/05/how-to-design-a-sailing-ship-for-the-21st-century.html
usnc.com/space
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

japs had em, many other countries too
japs decommissioned theirs because theyre retarded.

heavy cargo ships should use a mix of fission power and kites

Don't nuclear ships already exist?

we operate one (maybe few)

but commercially no, they don't exist / used

actually efficient ships are ammonia-powered, but its still research mostly

Attached: BV_Future-Fuels-Infographic-optimized.jpg (930x604, 200.58K)

heres the ship
isnt it expensive or something? or is it not used because its too toxic?

Attached: 1641776482258.jpg (800x496, 43.99K)

yes but its far more compact and more powerful that CNG/LNG

another plus is that production is relatively straight forward (and we have pipilene transport for this all over ussr / former ussr)

Attached: 2m0el5.jpg (500x529, 104.63K)

wrong image

Attached: hydrogen-density-graph-update-1-1024x569.png (1024x569, 19.94K)

Attached: 12124964-1954088306.jpg (522x800, 151.06K)

yes
Americans, French, Russians and Chinese have nuclear subs and carriers
Russians have a bunch of nuclear icebreakers a floating powerplant and even had a nuclear battlecruiser but that got scrapped because it was completely pointless
Russians, Japanese, Germans and Americans built experimental cargo ships but they were too expensive to operate and had too much red tape attached

Attached: savannah_800.jpg (800x380, 58.02K)

yes methane is gas in room temp which is a problem
works well for cars, maybe planes. but if you need fucktons of fuel for gigantic ship engines maybe not so much.
kinda sketchy, i wouldnt like this to leak neat my neighborhood.
also we had lebanease terrorists who tried to hit ammonia storage here one time so you gotta protect that shit.

we have this pipe everywhere here

Attached: image_2022-08-23_000057450.png (282x543, 245.61K)

probably not *that* toxic

we have a word's only operational commercial nuclear ship now
but its not saying much since it was built in ussr

maybe media here exaggerate it's toxicity for ratings or something but they always talk about it being bad here.
i do remember this shit
youtube.com/watch?v=O4FapFueYnY
ammonia fuelled cars

still i dont think it's good for large ships, they could try it on aircraft like they did with that russian plane which had a jet engine that could switch from regular fuel to methane.
as for large cargo ships i think a uranium mixture is the best fuel. a fuel load can last for very long and uranium powered engines tend to be very big so big ships are idea for such applications.

I thought it got scrapped or converted to diesel like the others
pretty cool
ammonia is pretty toxic
not exactly nerve gas, but it's corrosive to lungs in higher concentrations

Attached: Sevmorput.jpg (1360x765, 314.63K)

How about instead of nuclear meme we just use sails
>inb4 b-but that would be so slow
That doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is saving fuel. Companies need this to reduce costs and the environment needs this to reduce pollution.

lowtechmagazine.com/2021/05/how-to-design-a-sailing-ship-for-the-21st-century.html

seems to me that nuclear propulsion would make perfect sense for huge container ships an tankers, maybe cruise ships too

Attached: 176736820.0.jpg (3000x2002, 672.04K)

Cruise ships had too much trouble entering seaports, most bases just banned them and the ones that did let them in required months of negotiations.

there is currently a nuclear research & development revolution that is very quietly flying under the radar in the US.

for the first time since like the 1970s, there is renewed serious interest in small, portable and very safe nuclear reactors. the Department of Defense, NASA, universities and the private sector all have projects to implement this technology in various ways.

my favorite company that is getting into it is USNC usnc.com/space

they plan on flying a nuclear reactor into orbit within a couple of years.