/lang/ Language Learning General

another tanzania edition edition
>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Any Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

[UPDATED] Totally not a virus but rather lots of free books on languages:
Newer version: mega.nz/folder/INlRkAQC#CthKI9-_kmDNyrOx12Ojbw
Older version: mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Lots of books on linguistics of various kinds, as well as language courses:
mega.nz/#F!Ad8DkLoI!jj_mdUDX_ay-8D9l3-DbnQ

Check this Pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrentz with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
web.archive.org/web/20200316222401/https://yuki.la/t/796928

List of trackers for most language learning packs:
files.catbox.moe/nmrn8x.txt

Ukrainianon's list of commercial courses from rutracker.org:
pastebin.com/3EWMhSPN

Russianon's list of comprehensïble input resources:
docs.google.com/document/d/1wXd0V32TjCFsr1-F_en_lA4MI-i7JtyYf26cWLtPRec

Pastebin that archives challenges:
pastebin.com/u/jopiepoliste/1/dMvKSQMw?sort=-name

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki.
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
Yes. Do it.
>What is the most useful language?
Indonesian.
>What language should I learn?
Swahili.

Old thread: Old challenge:

Attached: delete.png (1200x840, 242.74K)

Has anyone here actually fallen for the meme and fully completed a duolingo course? How much of your TL did you understand after that? I want to try one language but i'm not ready to really commit, so i decided to dabble in it a bit and duolingo seems like a fitting solution, but i'm not sure how much i will actually learn.

>aз cъм
It's crazy how much Bulgarian reads like stereotypical ancient Russian.

Attached: download.jpg (241x209, 7.44K)

It takes too much time. You could complete a C2 textbook in the time it would take for one uno-lingo animation to pass by.

true

Yeah, but how much do you actually learn from it?

I tried the indonesian course and didn't complete it, it's shit. The chinese one is below my level, but I completed it once. Not much to write home about
overall, I can't recommend if you want to know more about the language you're learning other than "memorise this"

Depends on the language since only a few courses are actually extensive enough.
For the popular langauges the courses are probably fine but the usefulnes of Duolingo declines with how far you advance in my opinion.
Going until the first checkpoint is good to get a feel for the language with pronunciation and common phrases but beyond that the difficulty increase and introduction of new vocabulary and concepts is too slow.
It is great for pushing you to keep a routine but at some point other methods become more effective.

New challenge: childhood edition.

>Easy
Babies are cute.
Sit down, students!
My favorite book was The Cat in the Hat.

>Medium
I wish I had had more brothers and sisters to play with.
As a child, I used to hate apples, but now I eat one every day.
Children's Day is celebrated on June 1st in many communist and ex-communist countries.

>Hard
My father has told me that, during his childhood, it was common for classmates to share the same given name, but today that is less of a problem due to the wider diversity of names given to children born in the 21st century.
In societies ruled by monarchies, it is not uncommon for a ruler to die while his or her heir is too young to rule, and in such cases, an older family member or trusted advisor takes the young heir's place until the latter is old enough to rule.
Some people believe that married couples with underage children should not be allowed to divorce except in the case of spousal abuse, because the process and results of divorce can have a major negative effect on children; however, one could argue that an unhappy marriage also hurts children.

Attached: children.png (1470x1600, 608.35K)

Los bebés son bonitos.
¡Siéntense, escolares!
Mi libro favorito era El gato en el sombrero.

Deseo que hubiera tenido más hermanos para jugar.
De niño solía odiar las manzanas, pero ahora como una todos los días.
El día de niños es celebrado en el primero del junio en muchos países comunistas y excomunistas.

>169727770
'P

Nows about a good time to learn High Valyrian. They speak it in the new GOT prequel

>Fácil
Bebés son lindos.
Siéntense, alumnos.
Mi libro favorito fue "El gato en el sombrero".

>Medio
Deseo tuviera más hermanos y más hermanas para jugar con.
Cuando fui un niño, odié las manzanas, pero ahora como un todos los días.
Diá de los niños es celebrado en la prima de Junio en muchos países comunistos y ex-comunistos.

>Difícil
Mi padre me dijo eso, durante su tiempo de niño, fue común para compratir el mismo nombre dado, pero hoy eso es menos de un problema debido a l más amplio diversidad del nombres dado a niños nacieron en el 21 siglio.
En sociedades gobernado para autoridades reales, es no extraño por un líder para morir durante su heredero o su heredera es demasiado joven para gobernar, y en esos casos, un miembro de familia más viejo o un confiando tutor toma la posición hasta el heredero es viejo suficiente para gobernar.
Algunas personas creen que parejas casadas con niños menores de edad deben no ser permitando para divorciar salvo en el caso de abuso de esposo, pero el proceso y resultados de divorcio puede tener un major efecto negativo sobre niños; sin embargo, uno puede discutir que un matrimonio sin felicidad tambien daña ninños.

>ep 1 is already in hq on the indonesian pirate site I use for input
do you also win in your cunts lads

Attached: 1629902585000.jpg (640x645, 93.13K)

bumping

>Easy
Los bebés son lindos.
¡Siéntense, estudiantes!
Mi libro favorito era El gato en el sombrero.

>Medium
Deseo tener más hermanos y hermanas para jugar.
De niño, odiaba las manzanas, pero ahora como una cada día.
El Día del Niño se celebra el 1 de junio en muchos países comunistas y ex-comunistas.

According to studies, not that much. You might acquire an okay amount of vocabulary but since (at least in the languages I've tried) the studying itself is fairly unstructured/random, you're not building a solid foundation from the ground up. It's more like a rickety Jenga tower with weird protrusions in this and that direction. Like, you might become highly proficient at talking to someone about the weather or something retarded and specialized like that. But it will not leave with a general, well-rounded ability to speak the language nor really much of an advantage once you decided to become fluent because you'll end up having to learn/relearn basic concepts all over again. And that's with reading all the hints for each lesson and gilding every one of them. I don't even wanna imagine the deficits if you rely on the level 1 lessons alone (which is all you need to do to unlock new ones).

I can only say the following with certainty in regards to their French course since I learned it for a couple of years in school previously but they do a terrible/non-existent job of really explaining things like verb conjugations to you. It's all fairly sporadic, teaching you just the minimal amount to read and understand the few examples sentences that they repeatedly throw at you. Where they do teach general rules they usually mention only a subset of exceptions (the ones they're gonna use in example sentence) and also often do such a bad job that if you encounter new verbs you probably cannot apply what you learned to them.

cont.

All in all Duolingo is potentially better than nothing at all but definitely worse than serious self-study. I say potentially because some of the languages, for example, have voice lines so atrocious that you might actually harm your language acquisition because it'll teach you to memorize and, worse still, form habits of the wrong things. Like, going to the gym is generally better than sitting on the couch all day but if someone there teaches you the wrong form you might still end up doing more damage to yourself than just sitting on that couch, outside maybe of extreme morbid obesity.

My advice? Just use it to test the waters and see if the language still interests you after learning a bit about it and playing around with it for a while. After finding out that yes, you wanna learn your TL, don't actually attempt to stick with Duolingo and try to complete a full course unless there's literally no other readily available resources. Instead find a decent grammar guide to learn the basic underlying structure of the language, use Anki or something to learn the 1000 most common words or so over the course of, say, roughly two months (~20 a day) and then being inpooting while looking up new words and continuing advanced grammar lessons on the side.

Duolingo cannot even begin to compete with the efficacy of that approach and nor does it try to, according to its creators. Apparently they consider it simply a more "useful"/worthwhile alternative to Candy Crush and co., basically.

I’m on a 42 day streak and I’m barely halfway through unit 2 (Norwegian). It gets old fast but if you’re just barely starting on the language it’s not too bad.
I think finisihin a course puts you at A2 level? May depend on the language of course.

Thanks for the informative reply, i'll probably use other methods instead of duolingo

>Fácil
(Os) bebês são fofos
Sentem, alunos!
Meu livro favorito era gato no chapéu

>Intermediário
Eu gostaria de ter mais irmãos e irmãs brincar com
Quando eu era criança, eu odiava maçãs, mas agora eu como uma todo dia

>ancient Russian
What time period would that be? I'm asking because when I hear "ancient" I think "antiquity" and R*ssian was obviously not yet a thing back then.

*begin inpooting

Speaking of which, that's the actually fun part for most people. The initial study is gonna be somewhat dry by comparison but ultimately there's no way around that if you actually wanna get good at your TL so if you find those initial two months or so boring just grit your teeth and look forward to the fun part after it.