Finally saw The Batman and I was quite disappointed

Finally saw The Batman and I was quite disappointed.
Too over-the-top gritty and edgy, like they were making a serial killer film instead of a comic book movie. I understand wanting to avoid to campy, kid-friendly cheesiness of the MCU, but I think you can go too far in the other direction also. There was nothing fun or enjoyable about this movie -- just a lot of moping and brooding in the dark.
The main problem, though, is that there wasn't a good, final scene where Batman triumphed over the villain. Every movie like this needs a villain and needs a scene where the villain gets his comeuppance. There was no definitive, climactic finale in this film. What? Those incels with the guns in the stadium? WTF was that garbage?
6.5/10

Attached: jbareham_220228_ecl1072_the_batman_0001.0.jpg (1200x675, 150.26K)

I thought Batman Returns handled its darkness well. Sad and macabre but still fun to rewatch.

I don't know if it was as over the top or as good as something like The Dark Knight it's obvious they're inspirations came from films like seven and zodiac killer extremely violent. Gritty yes but that's truer to Batman than must adaptations. Joker is more edgier honestly.
The tone of the movie isn't supposed to be fun or comedic. I would say some of the enjoyable "fun" scenes are all the fight scenes, the unintentional comedic meeting between Riddler and Batman. The goal in this film wasn't supposed to be for Batman to triumph over the Riddler it was to show that his actions and behavior and his only drive for being vengeance blindsided him and he paid dearly for that. This is supposed to be a movie that makes Bruce work on himself as a person and too be a better Batman. But it's not like Riddler won either. He came to the realization that Batman hates him and was never on his side. And he's completely alone. Even as we speak Gotham is being rebuilt and he is still lost.

If you don't like the movie that's fine but I think your take away is kind of misguided

The tone of the movie is hardboiled to the point of becoming unintentionally comedic. Literally everything about it is a miscalculation. Batman being a weirdo who walks stifly with his arms on his sides, or has the same fucking bored expression seen in OP's pic all the time. Pattinson's performance is simply awful. When he tries to emote, he looks retarded.

Attached: The-Batman-Robert-Pattinson-4.jpg (1104x835, 43.66K)

I just don't get the point in using a comic book character if it's not going to be a comic book kind of movie. Batman could have been replaced by a detective and it would have been the same film. Some films (like Batman Forever) go too far into the campy, fun side of the spectrum and others (like The Batman) go too far to the other side. This film just made me appreciate how Nolan achieved the perfect balance in his films.

The Batman is still a comic book movie this is all happening within the universe and pulp of DC comics. However what artistic lense we choose to filter these comics through can produce super interesting films. You can do that with every superhero movie. If you took away the history of marvel and decontextualized iron Man into just making it about a rich dude who gets a suit of armor to be better than the military industrial complex he help propped up it would still be the same film.
But when we contextualize the themes the art the direction etc with the comic book character it can give a new found purpose.

For instance in the Batman one of the things that I really appreciated is how much of a fucking doomer Bruce was. He loathes being himself and Batman to him is his nightly drive. To bring punishment pain and fear into people who took away his childhood. If we just replace the Bruce with a regular guy it wouldn't stand out as much, but because we've never seen Bruce Wayne in that kind of light it gives him much better depth.

I don't think the tone borderline on comedic. I could take the grit in the grime and the depression seriously. I think the only unintentional comedic scene is between Bruce and The Riddler. Bruce being a stiff nebish weirdo is the angle that they were going for he's a recluse he hates being himself. He doesn't give a fuck about his family name he just wants to be Batman and beat the fuck out of people who have ruined the city and taken away his childhood innocence.

As far Bruce Wayne portrayals I think he's pretty good. Him Christian Bale and I think maybe to a slight degree Ben Affleck. I know people love Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne but I never really saw him as that.

>like they were making a serial killer film instead of a comic book movie
hmmmm

Attached: longhalloween.jpg (255x391, 30.05K)

This comic sucked. It is just a fucking awful mystery where there's no mystery, where the story is padded out with villain cameos that end up having no bearing to the plot, and on top of it you've some aspects taken straight out from Godfather.

If they wanted to recreate Joker's success, which they did want to do, they should've shown some of Batman's character development. I think you shouldn't just make a new Batman movie with a new actor and not show at least a bit of his earlier life. Make the viewer sympathize with Batman and understand why he wants to be the kind of vigilante he is.

Oh yeah forgot about that
Why we already know the kind of person he wants to be?

The biggest problem was that it's one of the worst written blockbuster films ever, even by capeshit standards, and the reason for that is that the writers and director are faggot BLM cocksuckers obsessed with current year political trash. Nolan will always be better because he pulled off scripts about universal and evergreen human concepts and archetypes.

BU BU BUT user WTF THERE WAS WATER AT THE END WTF SINS OF MUH FATHER IT'S JUST LIKE SNYDERKINO BRO WTF

It's shit, we tried to warn you.

>Those incels with the guns in the stadium?
All white as well. Note the diverse casting, it's all over the film. Every high status person (that isn't evil) in the movie is black. Yet every single person batman or catwoman punches in the movie is white. All of the corruption inside the state is white.

Snyder is actual kino compared to this shit movie.

gladly paul dano delivered kano as always

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12.39K)

Nice blog, where can I subscribe?

you do know DC stands for detective comics and batman started as the world's greatest detective right?

>You are el rata alada
>translates to URL
>solved at the murder scene

yeah fuck off.

>Too over-the-top gritty and edgy, like they were making a serial killer film instead of a comic book movie.
>There was no definitive, climactic finale in this film. What? Those incels with the guns in the stadium? WTF was that garbage?
They relied on serial killer / thriller vibes to carry 80% of the film but didn't have to balls to do the ending justice so they completely scrapped it after John Turturro's character dies, turned Riddler into a moron who gets caught, and pulled a large capeshit action setpiece out of their asses to serve up some semblance of a "action movie" ending instead of the crime thriller ending the film deserved. In other words, they pussed out.

Attached: 1639816124344.webm (800x450, 2.93M)

it was forgettable garbage yes

It felt like a parody in certain ways

>Batman that acts like the Punisher left his guns at home
>Penguin acts like Falcone
>Falcone acts like Two Face
>Riddler acts like Hush
>Joker acts like Victor Zsaz
>Alfred acts like Lucious Fox
>Catwoman acts like Batwoman

What a fucking mess. Matt Reeves doesn't understand the character.

What I found kinda funny was all the hype over "exploring the detective side of Batman" and honestly it seemed like the GCPD captured Riddler in spite of Batman. He didn't really help at all and if anything disrupted crime scenes

The Batman is no Long Halloween

>I just ordered Az Lysoff, Punk Ken, Pi-
Why didn't they let Riddler finish his sentence? He was about to reveal the names of his henchmen and his plan.

Attached: 1629206371886.png (1439x616, 1.01M)

>Matt Reeves doesn't understand the character.
cut him some slack he's got a faggoty message to preach

I had never consider that to be the reason why Iron Man was so successful, but it totally makes sense. It was a perfect cast plus an unknown character for 99% of the population. The mix was geniunely fresh and exciting.
We have very high expectations from any Batman movie because we all know the character. Nothing will ever satisfy us.