Professor says not to Mock Disney Adults because it's a Religion

twitter.com/jeichlerlevine/status/1533909820453142530?t=Nic0OMz5hBGmyXNFh6c4nw&s=19

>Disney Fairytale Weddings have been a thing since the 1990s. Disney already had a huge honeymoon market and decided to go for weddings. Thousands if not millions have married or honeymooned at a Disney park or on a cruise. What does this have to do with religion?
>Many of the Disney fans I have observed in person and online find immense meaning in the parks. People don't just marry at Disney. They mourn lost relatives at Disney. They go to Disney to celebrate surviving cancer. They go there for one last trip before they die.
>Religion is a way of making meaning in the world through stories and rituals. It is about a network of relationships with the human and non-human (@RobertOrsi1 very paraphrased). It is about making homes and confronting suffering (@tomtwe loosely paraphrased).
>All of this happens at Disney. Cast members literally welcome you "home."
>Is this capitalism? Sure it is. Is it also at least quasi-religious? Yes. (And by the way, most religions are intertwined with capitalism. Just ask one of the founders of sociology, Max Weber).
>Disney owns our stories. For some people-- both those who have another "traditional" religion and those who don't-- the promise of magic at Disney and the feelings they get there are powerful. I've seen people cry at the fireworks. Many times.
>(Incidentally, the latest firework show goes "The magic is calling-- answer the call!" an altar call if ever there was one.
>Would I want to go to a wedding with no food because the bride and groom wanted photos with Mickey? No, no I would not. But when they say Disney is a big part of their lives I take that seriously. Maybe they met there. Maybe the IDEAS the Mouse stands for bring them joy.

Attached: 0A8840D1-28EE-4CF9-A3A6-D0CDD4B8A542.png (720x1260, 566.13K)

>Maybe it's the only place their parents ever acted happy. Or, yeah, maybe they are selfish. But if we measure religion not by its truth-claims-- because we CAN'T assess those unless we have something much more powerful than a Ph.D-- but by its power in people's lives, then Disney is as much a religion as anything. It is at the very least a site of meaning and human fellowship, even you hate it. Dismissing it because it's "kid stuff" is demeaning to children, who are themselves discerning humans.
>This couple left their guests hungry and it was, perhaps, unwise and lacking in guest/host hospitality-- as @tressiemcphd pointed out, they broke a social contract in a public way-- but it hurt ONLY their guests. I can think of a ton of people in hurting a lot more Americans.
>It's late capitalism on steroids but so are a million other things.
>So stop pathologizing other people's joy. There's little enough of it in this world. /fin #NotAllDisneyAdults #AmRel #AcRel

Insulting corporations like disney, apple and amazon will soon be a hate crime

>Any Forums deleted my thread so i gotta post it somewhere else - this is an important discussion!

>twitter and reddit in the same post
good job OP

A professor basically means nigger now

You think it will stop at corporations? These new "hate speech" laws will extend to marketers and advertisers as well.

>Corporate worship is a religion
Duh. That's why they should be made fun of.

Worshipping cartoon characters is not ok

"Soon" meaning when?

we're in the sneedgame now

>instead of paying for catering, decide to waste money on two dudes dressed as cartoon rats
Is this a fetish thing?

television & film?
also what these two said

Don’t care, still going to enjoy going to Disney World.

I always find the craziest shit on Any Forums

>Americans worship cartoon rats

It being a religion is one of the primary reasons we mock them.

My sister loves Disney and even she never did anything like this for her wedding.

This is legit mental illness.

I have never been to a Disney park.

>And by the way, most religions are intertwined with capitalism. Just ask one of the founders of sociology, Max Weber
Protestantism isn't "most religions". I doubt this guy is a professor.

What’s the point of wasting money and hiring two random strangers in suits to your wedding?
They aren’t the actual characters. Just random people in costumes.

>stop pathologizing other people's joy.
No.

Attached: 1601535244578.jpg (828x821, 656.06K)

Fucking nuke us. All of us. Nuke humanity, please.

>everyone picks on Christians because that's ok though, right?

Two more weeks

This

You ever think Walt would be ashamed of the beast he created?

>skydaddy is on par with mousedaddy
Yeah, I'd agree with that

>soon
It's basically been illegal since 2017

This

Of course he would. He hated Jews, didn't he?

>Parents pay for Wedding
>No Food
>No Alcohol
>Two random men in rat costumes
They deserve all the ridicule and more.

at the very least consult the people paying for it
but nah, gotta CONSOOOOM

Attached: url(18).jpg (604x816, 60.78K)

ᎠᏌᏴᏚ

I jewgled the plebbit post and according to the mods there, it's a fake story

>I went through 6 semesters of the same class on Harry Potter. I eventually got kicked out, but I did print out a degree from Hogwarts and went to Disney 22 times since I lost my job in 2020. I consider myself a professor and that should be enough.

What does Disney have to do with religion?

Decadent, depraved, tawdry. It's a marriage not a 5yo's birthday party.