The Duellists (1977)

What was his fucking problem?

Attached: 9607DEFA-B254-4127-8F7B-37FD60DFA66C.jpg (1108x831, 169.64K)

It's the perfect picture of late 18th - early 19th century: bunch of pseudo aristocratic military class cunts roaming around desolate landscape of Europe, completely provided for (because they can freely take anything from honest hardworking people), so bored that they result to petty sadism.

autism

He was gay for the other dude, but since homosexuality is forbidden he tries to kill him to forget him.

Terminal manletism:
>gets angry and has to defend his "honor" at the drop of a hat
>worships the Manlet Emperor, still worshipped by manlets to this day
>has to jump to see Feraud's final position in the ruins, his height bears him a significant disadvantage and directly leads to his loss

I forgot to add - the duel culture itself is the most niggerish thing imaginable, because it was just a way to dispose of someone in 99 percent of the cases. Furthermore, it had a devastating effect on European culture because everyone was pretending to be horrifically insulted, it was like twitter only you had to fight a duel afterwards. Pushkin got jobbed by some fucking French psycho that used his cuckoldry to draw him out into the fight he could not win.

Keitel's character was simply a sadist who enjoyed killing people, and did not flinch for challenging those that weren't his match. Which again is the essence of duel culture - predatory behavior and putting the warped concept of honor at the pedestal of public discourse.

So the point of the movie is that duels are bad?

he insulted him a little bit

How could they possibly be good?

He didn't worship the Emperor. He just used his name to justify his own manlet rage. Being a lowborn who was able to climb the societal ranks during war, naturally he'd fight to restore Bonaparte rather than join the Royalist army.

But if you insult the Emperor again, I'm going to fuck you up.

They look cool?

you seem muppish

Manlet rage

Great posts. I read somewhere that there‘s a social angle to the story as well since Feraud was from a low social background opposed to the aristocratic D’Hubert who chooses the kings side in the last act. Feraud despises D‘Hubert because of his noble background and accuses him during the whole film that he never was a true Bonapartist.

he got no bitches

> u r arrested for dooling

> dool me

True, but I imagine it would only be a crutch for Keitel's character who is willing to warp satisfaction whichever way ensures that the duel is continued.

There's an interesting issue of impermanence - present in (for example) Corto Maltese comics - that characterizes and romanticizes every warzone; namely, people are under an unholy amount of duress and as a consequence feel truly alive, have vivid memories of each (again, impermanent) encounter that they can recall later in life, after all is said and done, provided they survive. They idolize their co-combatants, died way before their time, they venerate women they met once en route to some distant battlefield, they see burning cities from horizon to horizon and can enjoy periods of utmost decadence if their side wins the battle. Like turning Europe into Africa Eternal. It's an extreme example of downward spiral, the entire Napoleonic period.

this is unironically the best yaoi trope, i love this shit

Too much kino

D‘Hubert wasn't a Bonapartist, he was a nobleman and a soldier who due to his social standing had other options after like 20 years of war at most we can say he was a nationalist. He would have been equally happy living out his new civilian life under Napoleon. But as they point out in the movie, he gave enough blood fighting for Napoleon against France's enemies.

Feraud was a Bonapartist in so much as the only thing he knew how to do was fight, and under the Royalists he'd be SOL. He used Napoleon's name almost blasphemously and used it as an excuse to fight the first time. He doesn't care about Napoleon, or the liberal ideals of the Republic/Empire. He just likes that it allowed to him join the army and work out his manlet rage. Really he hates D‘Hubert because he is what Feraud is only pretending to be, a true gentleman who understands honor but also duty. Feruad is just lowborn scum trying to play the part, and then using his dueling skill to kill anyone who calls him out for abusing his newfound social status. And unlike most of the aristocrats Feraud fights, D‘Hubert can hold his own.

Low testosterone.

shave your legs

...LA!

merry christmas mr lawrence makes way more sense now

>any character being wealthy is now a "commentary" on muh working classerino
absolutely mindbroken