Why don't directors set films in the Present any more?

Why don't older directors make films set in the present any more? It's really fucking with the culture because everything is set in the past, and we no longer have films of our time period any more.
>Tarantino - last movie set in the present was Kill Bill, 2003
>Wes Anderson - last movie set in the present was the Darjeeling Limited, 2007
>Coen Brothers - Burn After Reading, 2008
>Paul Thomas Andersen - Punch Drunk Love, 2002
>Guy Ritchie - only one film set in the present over the past decade of filmmaking
>Christopher Nolan - Tenet was set in the present, but was like a weird alternate reality so I'm not sure if that counts. Prior to that it was Inception in 2010.

What's going on?

Attached: Once Upon a Time in the PAST.jpg (1175x1763, 418.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TRY7Wvim8-8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You really don't know why? Everybody and their mom complains about how modern times are garbage compared to whatever caveman shit you guys had going on in the 20th century

because the shit going on in the present is race war build up and political pandering. it's too divisive to sell to the biggest audience possible.

Sure, but that doesn't mean you can't set films in this time period.
In the 1970s, there were tons of films set in NYC that were grungy and showed how shit the area was.
Why aren't there any films that take place in shitty areas of modern cities? Is it to dangerous to shoot in areas like that? Or have modern directors lost their balls?

kys zoomer, you are the downfall of civilization

>wahmen are being sexually harassed and catcalled!
>oh shit it's mostly niggers shut up
>stop asian hate!
>stop mass shootings!
>stop trans genocide!

repeat ad infinitum

Kind of, but if you have a lower budget film, you can still make back your budget even if the film was more targeted.
Even comedies aren't set in the present any more, the only genre that is still set in the present is Horror, but most new horror films are completely awful.
I definitely think it's because of "wokeness/leftism" and all that bullshit, people are way too sensitive these days, so if you call out political bullshit going on, they're more likely to side with the government than they are to realize that it's the government that's creating these problems in the first place.

Smart phones are plot breaking for a lot of stories.

It's the previous generation's fault that we are this way. Also something tells me you're not even 20 years old yet

>cherrypicking directors
Lol.
They don't set film in present due to aesthetic and being fixated on the past. Plenty. Of directors who do set their films in present times.

Agreed, this is definitely a big part of the problem. So many times in Seinfeld, a plot could've been solved in a matter of minutes if a cell phone was around.
Or like in The Sopranos, they get around it by saying the Feds have everyone's phones tapped, and it's a "face to face business".
By that measure, we're living in an excellent time period, but most people are bitching more than ever.

They set stories before the plot would be ruined by ubiquitous smartphone usage. Also there's been a general trend towards nostalgia for the past and dread for the future. All the movies set in the future are disaster movies or dystopia, there has been very little genuinely optimistic sci-fi in the past 20 years. Westerners have lost hope.

>Westerners have lost hope.
Can you blame us?

Attached: 33.jpg (579x329, 24.93K)

Okay, list for me some good movies set in present-day 2010s and 2020s. I'd appreciate it.

What are some good recent ones?

We live during shitty times. You'll get midwits that do the whole smug 'HEH, romanticizing the past, UM, REALLY?! Don't you the past wasn't perfect, heh' bullshit but fuck them. Shit doesn't progress in a linear fashion and we unfortunately are living in a clownish dystopia.

Modern day is such an ugly setting. Imagine your background filled with people looking at their smartphones, your main characters talking to each other behind surgical masks and having to tip toe around every single subject matter out of fear of offending someone.

I disagree. Things were so good during the Trump years, people had to find things to bitch about. Enter SJW politics, BLM, etc.
Now, Biden is starting to ruin things again, so maybe films will be set during the present again.

Because even back then times were not as shitty because creative freedom was in more abundance and even coming off the Vietnam War there was less polarization. Imagine trying to make kino nowadays about some city during the 2020 summer of love. Can you imagine the amount of hysterical wailing that would produce? That's if you can even imagine it being greenlite, which it would not

But Nancy Pelosi said that having Tax-payer funded healthcare would allow creative types to flourish, since they no longer had to worry about healthcare!
youtube.com/watch?v=TRY7Wvim8-8
Why would Nancy Pelosi lie like that?

Alot of modern technology like mobile phones, security cameras ect removes alot of storytelling opportunities and would make alot of situations devoid of tension

I've actually noticed this too. Problem is, no one romanticizes todays aesthetics. The Safdies do it well though

Attached: MV5BNGQ3Y2VjNmUtMDdiMC00YTE1LWI5NmUtZDIzMTJmODQyNDU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzMTY4MDA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg (1000x1481, 206.98K)

I'm a Bong and I love how as soon as I shit on universal healthcare, the provoked the ire of Europeans immediately accusing me of being an American and 'cucked' for not wanting """free""" healthcare. Fucking smoothbrained faggots.

2 reasons:
>the directors you mentioned are getting older and it's a combination of nostalgia for their youth and a desire to establish a legacy (historically, the most renowned directors have made period pictures)
>hollywood can't compete with the low-budget raw indie dramas that are coming out of other countries

Mann and Refn portray a brilliantly visceral contemporary aesthetic too
(Well, Mann when he bothers to get out of bed that is)

I'm 35 and can't relate to today's world at all, imagine being a 60+ year old

How's that list coming?

The only factual answer here. You either go pre-smartphone... or you write a story that revolves around smartphone usage, and if it does not revolve around it, 1/5th of the movie has to be devoted to bullshit reasons why they dont work etc

Yeah, basically this:
>Criminal movie - don't use smartphones because phones could be tapped
>Horror film - set in the woods (no cell phone reception)
>Sci-fi - set in the future anyways
>Action/spy-film - may get around using cell phones, since it deals with criminal groups, espionage, surveillance, etc.
>Modern drama/comedy films set in the present era - basically non-existent because of the iniquitousness of cellphones, internet, wi-fi, etc.