The Great Debate

Attached: 173023628873.png (1406x977, 1.29M)

Alien has better characters, The Thing has a better monster, the filmmaking is about equal. I give it to Alien for the production design, but it's slight.

Alien had more pure intense minutes of horror. The Thing had much much better effects & the glory that is John Carpenter on a synth.

There's not a single character in Alien that comes close to MacReady. That being said, if Alien is a 9.7, the Thing is a 9.8.

The Thing blows Alien out of the water

I like The Thing's ending better.
And MacReady is cooler than Ripley.

Alien's vision of the future is an underrated aspect of the film. Without it, we would not have Metroid, or System Shock, or Halo.

It's too bad boomers were spazzing out to E.T., otherwise The Thing might have got as many sequels as Alien.

Alien, zero debate. The art direction and design influenced legions of films, videogames, tv shows etc.

Attached: file.png (654x979, 926.57K)

This is a genuinely good point, The Thing is still the better film tho.

The Thing - 4.5/5
Alien directors cut - 4/5
Alien theatrical cut - 3.5/5

Ridley is a fucking hack and a pleb. The whole movie literally plays like an actor's workshop or whatever. Ridley literally hid from Yaphet who often ran the show while Ridley diddled his bulbs. That set was so out of fucking control you had thespians literally taking it upon themselves to just slap their costars in the face. And the list goes on believe me.

Both are impeccable directed but The Thing has a far better narrative

You really think the directors cut of the original Alien is better?

Alien is way more intense and actually builds to a crescendo
MacReady is generic action hero variation 948473, the crew members of nostromo are way more vibrant and real.

To be honest, thank god that didn't happen. Can you imagine:
>The Things
>Thing 3
>Thing: Resurrection
>AVT
>AVT:R

I'm cumming in my pants.

>MacReady is generic action hero
Sometimes generic is good if done right.

I actually hate the last act of Alien (it's just annoying flashing lights and Ripley running around), The Thing is good all the way through

It sucks balls.
(Except for the egg morphing scene and that one shot of the alien hanging on the chains)

If Alien hadn't come along Science Fiction would still be Star Wars clones. Based Ridley giving us Alien and Blade Runner.

Are there actual faggots in this thread preferring a movie with a female lead over one with Kurt Russell?

Yeah it fixed things I'd been literally screaming about for years. One of the more validating experiences of my entire life. In particular the corridor scene between Dallas and Ripley. I had very specifically picked that thing apart and he literally did everything I said he should do. All a very long time ago and I'm not at home so I can't go into much detail. Basically the polar opposite of Aliens directors cut. That one was death by a thousand and Alien was saved by a thousand cuts. Meaning that often small things can make a big difference.

still waiting for this debate to turn great

Correct. Alien also gets bonus points for coming 3 years before The Thing.

Attached: file.png (1600x1159, 1.66M)

There's something for everybody I guess. Exact opposite opinion to mine. (Though I do really value the theatrical cut of Aliens too and see the extended edition as less of a definitive version than I do the theatrical cut of Alien).

Take away the 10/10 special effects from The Thing and what do you have? A good movie.

Take away the 9.8/10 special effects from Alien and what do you have? A great movie.