First feature-length film Stanley Kubrick ever directed

>first feature-length film Stanley Kubrick ever directed
>better than any other movie that came before it
How the fuck did he do it?

Attached: the killing.jpg (659x1000, 186.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bjJzQvjhndw
youtube.com/watch?v=83RuvArB5FM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

are we ignoring Fear & Desire and Killer's Kiss now?

It's not that good. It's a competent movie at best but there's nothing special about it. There are far better films that came out before.

For me it's Paths of Glory

Huh? What are you talking about? Those movies don't exist

>nothing special
well the non-linear plot predates Tarantino by 37 years
compare The Killing to a standard 1955 release and you'll see how good it was when it came out.

>well the non-linear plot predates Tarantino by 37 years
That doesn't make it good. And playing with narrative wasn't unheard of in the 50s. I do like the narrative construction of The Killing but that's all that I found interesting about it.

>well the non-linear plot predates Tarantino by 37 years
so what's your point

the message i replied to said The Killing was nothing special. I point out the plot structure that is indeed special and unconventional for its period. that's all.

yes but why do you use tarantino as some fucking measure stick

Fair enough, but the idea of breaking traditional narrative structure wasn't unknown prior to the release of The Killing. I'll credit Kubrick for doing something interesting with it at least.

I remember my teacher in film school saying that this movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test

>film full of criminal losers
>adding more women would make this more feminist
women

if you were around in the 90's you'd know for a few years the non-linear aspect of Pulp Fiction was something everyone was raving about as innovative and fresh, or attributing to Tarantino as his distinctive feature. if it was fresh and innovative in the 90's then maybe it was too in the 50's.
again this is just in reply to the guy who said The Killing is nothing special. i make no claim that it was the first use of time jumping in a narrative ever or that The Killing is the greatest movie ever.

>Huh? What are you talking about? Those movies don't exist
youtube.com/watch?v=bjJzQvjhndw
youtube.com/watch?v=83RuvArB5FM

you missed the joke, Stanley Kubrick disowned those two films and tried to take 'em out of circulation later

Attached: skl.png (450x90, 5.36K)

Far from his best but still solid noir, Hayden is fantastic and I love how it ends on a slowdow. Killer's Kiss was less memorable but did have a moody chase on rooftops that's pretty impressive. Haven't seen Fear & Desire, worth it?

Not really. It was embarrassingly bad

>better than any other movie that came before it

the fuck, watch more old movies. It's merely decent

>There are far better films that came out before.
>the fuck, watch more old movies. It's merely decent
Like what?
>inb4 Gone With the Wind
More like gone with four hours of my life

for me it's The Flying Padre

>Like what?
Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Night of the Hunter, Rashomon. Those are just films off the top of my head that are in a somewhat similar vein.

Somebody post the scene where the guy is at the race track trying to scope the place out & a black guy is trying to be friendly to him & he has to get rid of the friendly black dude so he's just like "NIGGER!" and it actually works