Just watched Gettysburg for the first time. Blows my mind how much effort was put into this

Just watched Gettysburg for the first time. Blows my mind how much effort was put into this.

Also, could they have unironically won?

youtube.com/watch?v=hZ8MNDCUQRs

Attached: Gettysburg.jpg (940x551, 173.63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0eGksYS-kmQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This movie is great if you know very little about the Civil War.

What if you know a lot about the Civil War?

He probably doesn't know. He's just trained his brain to come up with quick sound bites to get attention on the interwebs.

Then you'll become angry at how Lee and Armistead are portrayed and use that anger to masturbate but not in a good way.

Even if the South did win at Gettysburg, it wouldn't have ended the war. The North would have simply raised a new army and DC was still too heavily fortified to be captured.

The South was doomed from the start once Lincoln decided to double down and go total war on them.

You might say it was a lost cause.

The South was always going to lose. They had logistic problems, like not having a standard rail gauge. The March to the Sea just hurried thing along.

General I agree the south had no chance, you could see a situation where a win at Gettysburg could result in the army of Nova taking Harrisburg or even moving on Philadelphia

That paired with the nyc draft riots and the un/France recognizing the south and pushing for an armistice.

But the north was industrialized had double the pop and economy of the south and never fully mobilized like the south had to.

I mean they never had had a full true draft you couldn’t buy out of

>Even if the South did win at Gettysburg, it wouldn't have ended the war.
If it redirected troops in the Western theatre back towards Washington it might have given the Confederates time to recapture parts of the Mississippi region. Since the South just wanted a peace treaty they didn't have to actually destroy the North in order to win.

In retrospect it looks bad since Lee lost at Gettysburg, but I actually agree with his strategic reasoning given a bad situation. Divert armies away from the West, get a solid victory that (whether realistically achievable or not) makes Washington fear invasion, and continue with diplomatic pressure trying to achieve a peace treaty. It seems to me that just waging a purely defensive war against a numerically superior enemy is going to just be a drawn out defeat, but the high-risk aggressive strategy advocated by Lee at least gives a clearer path towards a negotiated peace (even if it didn't pan out in the end due to the defeat at Gettysburg).

>4 and a half hour kino
I'm sold

I was a reenactor in God's and Generals and have a shot in the film focused on me. Jeff Daniels was a douchebag, C. Thomas Howell was cool, Stephen Lang was awesome, Bruce Boxleitner was ok. We are pretty sure Kevin Conway showed up to set every day drunk or stoned. Robert Duvall would cuss up a storm when he forgot his lines.

They were fighting for state rights, right? Not wanting a big federal government dictating things? In order to fight their war, they had to pass legislation allowing the military to seize control of the railroads. Do you think the plantation owners liked that? They lost their principles only a couple of years after succession. They would have lost complete support given time.

Was martin Sheen in that one or the other one? Also, are you like 50?

Also for me, it's Andersonville youtube.com/watch?v=0eGksYS-kmQ

At the onset of the Civil War, a 34 year old man was supreme military commander of the world's largest and most powerful army. You are are probably 5 years older and sitting here on Any Forums with no job.

Martin Sheen was in Gettysburg, I'm 37. I was 16 when we filmed. I was there right after 9/11.

I thought G'n'G was early 90's. I'm thinking of Glory probably. Post youtube clip that you're in. Also, did they let you keep your costume?

Alexander the Great formed one of the largest empires in the world by the time he was 23.

There are kids in China making iPhones right now.

Not going to post the exact clip in case anyone here knows me, but it's during Chancellorsville when Stonewall's troops are raiding the Union campsites. Also I owned everything before filming, as did every other reenactor that got selected for filming.

Lets assume that the South achieved victory and seceded aswell as maintaining their right to have slaves. How many years with no foreign intervention would it be before they outlawed slavery on their own? Would it have happened at all? Probably just make negros into indentured servants

the South's mistake was fighting a conventional war. they should have used guerilla tactics and avoided open battle as much as possible. much like the founder fathers did.
they could have bled the North, all the while seeking help from the British or even the French who were already in Mexico.

unless it could somehow bleed into affecting your career I don't know why people are so sensitive about being recognized on here, its not like this thread is controversial

boat loads of Irish cannon fodder too