How come I never hear anyone talk about Plex on Any Forums? They work like magic

How come I never hear anyone talk about Plex on Any Forums? They work like magic
Loaded mine up with Frasier, Northern Exposure, Columbo, X-Files, Better Call Saul, and Severance so far
Pic somewhat unrelated, I just have it set up on my computer - not a standalone raid thing

Attached: plex.jpg (1924x1000, 161.2K)

Call me back once Plex can do dual-layer Dolby Vision (it still can't, only single-layer is supported, dual is just downconverted into HDR10).

Fair dues but none of the shows I listed were mastered in Dolby Vision except for maybe Severance

If your use case doesn't care about DV then yeah it's good.
But if you care about DV then Plex is only good for single layer DV, aka WebDL garbage.
Pretty sure all Bluray DV releases are dual-layer, at least I've yet to find a single layer one.

hey the price is right

Price? Plex is free lol.

i just have stuff on my laptop hd and play it on firetv thru vlc player

thats my point

I use my old gaming pc for plex things. The video card is dead so I can't even use the computer with a monitor. The FX-6300 doesn't have on-board video. It's just a plex machine now.
I'm thinking about getting a 10th Gen i3 to upgrade it a little, and put openmediavault on it, and get some new hard drives.

Commercials

jellyfin

Because Plex actually requires a person know how to pirate and amass a large collection of media by themselves.

Most normies cannot be bothered to do this. I've been building my private collection for decades, and it's very selective. I have about 150 tv shows and about 600 movies in it and I only download stuff I'm actually interested in watching.

Because I don't need a streaming service to play movies I already have on my hard-drive.

What's its advantages over Plex?

It's completely free. That's basically it.

and Plex isn't? I mean I've never paid a single cent to use Plex and it works for all my media.

I do see Plex emailing me all the time about some premium membership but I'd never use it anyways, the only thing I use Plex for is streaming the media from my desktop and external HDDs to other tvs in my house.

Plex locks hardware encoding behind that paywall
Their user auth behind plex cloud is cancer, if its configured and your internet is out you can't access your local media
In general their development efforts aren't focussed around improving the streaming experience anymore, they push their freemium shit on your dashboard and are neglecting their applications (Don't update your TV firmware if you use the panasonic plex app)

Plex is still ultimately fine but its definitely trending towards worse, Jellyfin still has some rough edges such as iOS/TVos support but its maturing rapidly

Nice ads loser

>Price? Plex is free lol.
Getting your data collected and sold means it isn't free.

I see this talked about all the time but no one ever explains what the fuck it is. I thought it was one of those piracy apps or something like that but I guess it's like a box that you have to manually put movies on? Like a hard drive? Why not call it that? What is so special about it and why won't you just get a Roku like a normal person?

can dual-layer dv even be pirated?

Yes, Nvidia Shield can do it from what I read online.

>no summary view
discarded

are those webdl dv better than hdr? i been downloading hybrid releases and never compared them.

(You)

>I have no clue what this thread is about or what I'm talking about, but I'm just going to start typing dumb shit anyway.

It's a tradeoff.
You get better HDR with DV (more highlight detail is resolved, it's brighter etc) but the cost is WebDL always being lower bitrate. That's why being able to play Bluray DV would be best because you'd get best of both worlds.

WHAT IS IT

It's a dumb shill thread so I'll do whatever the fuck I want and I'm not interested in anything you're selling.

Attached: tv related actress lady gaga's fat ass.jpg (1279x2047, 285.95K)

its just a lan streaming server you dumbfucks. You pirate shit, put it in a folder, and then make that folder discoverable on other devices like your smart TV or console

Why wouldn't I just pirate it on those devices?