Are arcades still popular in Japan?

Are arcades still popular in Japan?

Attached: tokyo-arcades-header-nicholas-doherty.jpg (1200x800, 406.56K)

No. They disappeared.

Really? Sad that, I always imagine kids all going to the arcade after school and playing games together in Japan

pretty sure covid finished them

Did Covid kill them? I remember there being a bunch in Tokyo, and even one per every AEON mall up north.

Sort of, but it's dying out

pachinko and slot machines is more popular

Is it a generational thing? Do children have no interest in going the arcade with their friends?

They are still around, but in much smaller numbers than when they were at their peak.
Nowadays, it is more of a place to get anime figures from crane games than a place to play games.

Attached: 5855655656555455.jpg (596x325, 24.89K)

Is gaming in general losing popularity in Japan or is it just aracdes?

No. Mobile games, Switch games, etc. are very much in vogue.
PC gamers are also on the rise these days.
Compared to other countries, arcades are still relatively alive in Japan because of the anime industry in Japan.
Children and young people go there to get Dragon Ball cards and various anime figures.

Attached: 1652151058910.png (346x346, 139.19K)

Thanks for the info, in the uk the only place we have. arcade machines are cinemas which usually only have like two and fun fairs and they were always fun with friends. I remember reading about how popular arcades were in Japan and i was really jealous.

For me it's the 2p machines in blackpool

Arcade centers were a thing of the 80's and 90's, when arcade games were much better than anything you could play at home. And consoles and games were very expensive back then, plus it's unpractical to play with friends in the tiny Japanese homes.

Nowadays, arcade centers mainly exist through ufo catchers, photo booths, rythm games, that sort of stuff like pic related, and the coregamers sections with fighting games and manic shooters are relegated at the back or on the top floor, away from the casual friends&families stuff.

Attached: vide-game-center-a-mosaic-shopping-mall-a-kobe-au-japon-ghk9y5[1].jpg (1300x961, 197.77K)

>Nowadays, it is more of a place to get anime figures from crane games than a place to play games.
Ah so just like most of ours

I would add that pretty much all the arcade centers in France closed in the late 90's / early 00's, basically after the 16 bits generation ended and consoles like playstation started to look just as good as arcade games.

I'm a big Sega fan so it makes me sad I left it too late to ever visit the iconic Sega arcade in Akihabara. I was under the impression that whilst arcades were dying out in Japan, picrel would stick around indefinitely due to being the most famous arcade in the world and a tourist attraction, but I guess covid put an end to that?

Attached: sega.jpg (800x600, 64.33K)

I thought Japan basically had their own arcade centric games that just didn't appeal outside of japan, whenever i'd see pictures or videos they had weird mecha and rhythm games that seemed specifically designed for both a japanese audience and arcade play. Just a shame. I always loved playing light gun shooters and driving games with friends on arcades I thought it was brilliant that somewhere in the world had a really lively arcade culture.

sad to hear that arcades in japan are becoming how they are in the west

eventually manga will go the way of comics

Attached: 49b.jpg (600x500, 30.75K)

The games are getting recessed but pachinko is getting based

Attached: images (14)_1652420643721.jpg (445x688, 81.68K)

>Implying it hasn't already

They've actually made a comeback yes