Vampires in US movies

Why are they connected to the South (Interview with the Vampire, Vampire Diaries) or Mexico (From Dusk till Dawn, John Carpenter's Vampires)? Is this some US urban myth or something?

Attached: 1.jpg (1000x1499, 150.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Brown_vampire_incident
smithsonianmag.com/history/the-great-new-england-vampire-panic-36482878/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessian_(soldier)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

True Blood as well. I could be completely wrong but I feel like in US Lore the vampires here came from France which is why they settled in the south.

You forgot the Lincoln the vampire hunter movie

The south is hot and sweaty, and full of degenerates.

Attached: 1635481879877.webm (1080x1080, 2.86M)

Because vampires are meant to be refined and appear civilized. You only find that in the south, the north is full of a bunch of dirty foreigners and sexual deviants.

You forgot True Blood. But for real, this may be a better question for /lit/. I assume it has roots in the Southern Gothic literary genre, though I don't think any of the original Southern Gothic books were about vampires. Also, once Anne Rice wrote her books, lots of people just copied her in many ways

I think that's right. Vampires are also assumed to be very long lived, and the image of the vampire as a wealthy mysterious recluse is easier to reconcile with a plantation owner than a manufacturing tycoon.

That is kind of funny considering 30 days of night is like the only vampire movie in that’s set in a cold snowy environment and is also the only one that manages to be scary instead of corny.

Attached: B544A861-8352-406A-9B42-494BCD5DA593.gif (500x209, 658.07K)

Yeah I really think that’s just cannon at this point.

Camp kino.

Attached: 1637616780262.webm (1920x1080, 700.05K)

I think it's perhaps a mixture of French and the superstitions of the black people living in New Orleans. Creole I guess? Since black people were free in New Orleans, their culture permeated the overall culture more than in other places. Marie Laveau is one such example of an alleged creole New Orleans vampire.

its primarily because the South, New Orleans specifically is entrenched in superstitions that came from trade through the Caribbean.

what's stranger is that vampires are historically a belief in colony states. German immigrants that lived on the border of the Slovakian countries had superstitions about vampires, and some of them came to fight for the British during the American Revolution. Afterward, they settled here, and their superstitions did too. They believed that tuberculosis was a vampiric curse on the family and would dig up the graves of people they suspected brought the curse. They'd cut out the heart, burn it to ash, and then create a tonic remedy out of the ash to try and cure those afflicted with the curse. There's actually a notorious case that happened like this that people say inspired Bram Stoker's depiction of what happened to Lucy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Brown_vampire_incident

cheaper to film in old historical plantations than it is old historical estates in the north east

>German immigrants that lived on the border of the Slovakian countries had superstitions about vampires, and some of them came to fight for the British during the American Revolution. Afterward, they settled here, and their superstitions did too
Do you got a source for this? I'm aware of Countess Elizabeth Bathory, who was part of the Hungarian royals stationed in modern day Slovakia. But unsure if that's what you're referencing and who the German immigrants are

AMAZING acting for someone her age, also the makeup team did top tier work.

My link in my first post, and this also mentions the New England Vampire Panic, and the German soldiers (near the end)

smithsonianmag.com/history/the-great-new-england-vampire-panic-36482878/

The term you're looking for specifically is "Hessian". That was what they called the German soldiers

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessian_(soldier)

Fun Fact: in the Headless Horseman's backstory scene in Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, they mentioned he was a Hessian mercenary.

>also the makeup team did top tier work

Stan Winston.

Can you imagine how cringe it would be to have a canadian vampire

>I'll suck your blood!
>Oh no!, please don't !
>Oh, ok, I do apologise I overstep my boundaries, please accept my apologies, have a good night m'lady

figures

Blacks are not the source of the vampire mythos as presented in southern gothic. Black influence came into play in some respects later.

Stupid fuck, they were books first. Read something.