The Ninth Gate

The first half of the film is so good. It’s a shame it couldn’t stick the landing.

Attached: 74826D86-3AC3-4FEB-9B9B-1E103F795D9C.jpg (400x600, 76.76K)

The second half of the film delved into Polanksis fetishes and reality

The Club Dumas is a pretty good book, the movie is based partially on it

I need more movies like this.

I've decided it's an ASMR movie
>opening scene with guy just writing
>everyone speaks gently (at the beginning)
>Langella's voice in general
>minimalist score
>lots of page turning sounds

actually the entire film is kino

Attached: 1643771692838.gif (420x314, 1.53M)

it was ok.

i like the sex cult and overall occultist tones, reminds me of when i used to fap to bible black, great movie, hail satan.

absolute fucking kino

Does he actually act out each of the gates in the movie? I watch and only really ever see three or so images recreated.

the ending was awesome, fuck off.

the only film that ever captures the same mood for me is A Dark Song.

He doesn't act them out but they do happen or the ending wouldn't make sense. For example, the dead guy positioned as the hanged man (who appears in the book) isn't being acted out by the protagonist but the event occurs as it should in order to complete the ritual. That means all the other images must have happened too because he finds the gate at the end.

Attached: florence-pugh-portrait-session-in-la-november-2019-1.jpg (1130x1600, 196.36K)

The movie was fine up until that sliding across the screen scene

>That means all the other images must have happened too
But did I simply miss them or not notice or does the movie not show them and they happen off screen?

Unless you have the images saved then the logical conclusion is we witness all the events. I wish I had it downloaded so I could check for you but I only have a physical copy.

Also "ghost writer"

should i watch this film or does it suck? I think someone described it as boring or too artsy fartsy.

You're asking other people whether you'll enjoy a film? You're clearly an intelligent person so I can tell you that it's good. It's one of the Any Forums recommended movies that's actually good.

eat your vegetables

This person made a nice post about why the movie is good: It's very un-offensive. It's just a nice 90s mystery movie with Johnny Depp. It's about a book collector? that's hired to track down a Satanic book. It's not as edgy as it sounds and it's actually comfy because he travels around the world looking for it while drinking, smoking and reading.

watch it and find out
personally i thought it was awful though

it’s entertaining and has that 2000s soul. director is also a jewish child molester so probably an expert on satanism

They all more less happened, but not always chronologically though and not necessary in a literal manner. Like the thing with the arrows pointing at him from up above, that's what happens as the scaffolding almost crushes him while passing by. The hermit is the old guy with violin, and so on.

Attached: ninth-gate.jpg (2742x5000, 2.87M)

What exactly were they opening with the 9th gate anyway? I mean if devil girl was already wandering around on Earth fucking with people who was going to come through the 9th gate? A bigger scarier devil guy? Another devil girl with bigger tits? Was the devil girl actually Satan or was she just some minion who got to fuck Johnny? Or were they bringing an end to the entire world and they just didn't have the budget to film the last scene?

God, I hate these fucking "you decide" endings.

Mmm, I can definitely see the scenes that these images relate to. "Virtue is conquered" is just when Corso kills the black guy because he's not a murderer up until that point.
Disciple outshines the master is probably just referring to the fact that Boris failed.
So yeah, they do all happen but not as depicted in the book. There's no chess game.

In the book the girl was literally lucifer and the ninth gate was actually a red herring. At the end the real reward was her love, unironically, and Corso had to pick. The character that would become the movie version of Boris tried to complete the ritual and Corso dipped out just in time to hear him scream in the distance, presumebly being torn apart by other demons while being dragged to hell. Corso just goes into the sunset being Lucifers lover.

you not understanding occultism doesn't mean it's a "you decide" ending.

the girl was the Whore of Babylon, and the 9th Gate would call the Dark Lord himself.

Based on what we see on the pic, I thought the woman is the whore of babylon and will be impregnated with the antichrist when she fucks Corso, but I might be wrong.

My version is so poorly edited it's not even funny.

Dunno about the chess thing, might be Corso's interaction with the baroness, but more like a verbal game of wits.

>girl
>evil
yeah i think that checks out.

I think in terms of the movie the ending is more alluding to him getting enlightened being offered that final pitch of the big man himself. Although the book is clear about the identity of the girl I think in the movie she's just a witch, like someone who pledged himself to lucifer. Same as the other two fellas in portugal who end up having two younger doublegangers. They were demons of sorts, or humans who went through with the thing. Corso is just being casted for a position, simply put.