Wtf. It was actually kinda good?? How?

wtf. It was actually kinda good?? How?

Attached: cultist.jpg (1200x675, 67.45K)

Tom Cruise. Our guy.

the cruise is unbruised
just wants to make fun films, doesn't care about trying to steer society
also xenu magick

It was overrated
>nothing really had any consequences which took away from the meaning of the scenes. For example there's a scene where a pilot passes out due to high G forces and almost crashes his plane. This has pretty much no impact on anything and the scene is just kind of there. It would have made sense if it was Hangman that passed out from the G forces and that was why Maverick didn't choose him for the final mission
>speaking of Hangman, why wasn't he chosen for the final mission? Was Rooster the better pilot? They made it very clear that Hangman, while a bit of a dick, was most likely the best pilot there.
>romance plot was BAD. In the original Top Gun there was some tension to the Maverick/Charlie love story. She was technically his commanding officer, she had to dress him down during a flight sim briefing, etc. We also learned about Maverick and his relationship with his father when he was with Charlie. In this movie he gets reacquainted with Penny, they go out a few times, he's in love, that's it. Maybe write it so that Penny is done with falling in love with pilots due to her ex-husband leaving her. Maybe have her object to Maverick going on that final mission due to how dangerous it is.
>Maverick pulls Roosters Naval Academy application. Does he have the power to do this? He's just a Captain. He's not related to Rooster. How does Mav have this much power?

>the volleybal-er, football scene. Another throwback that really was wasted. In the original the volleyball scene showed how both sides weren't just competitive in the air, they wanted to beat each other at everything. In this movie the football on the beach was a team building exercise. Ok, fair enough. But by the time the scene starts it seems like everyone is already having a great time. We don't see them playing hard against each other, then naturally loosening up. You would have never guessed that Rooster and Hangman almost came to blows a few minutes ago when Hangman brought up Goose.
>what was the point of the Ed Harris character. He's pretty much "Admiral that is against Mav" same way the Jon Hamm Admiral is. So why even bother having 2 of them?
>THE MUSIC. What. A. Disappointment. Were there any new songs? They couldn't pay Kenny Loggins (or find someone else) to write and record a blazing, upbeat 80s rock songs? Oh, but they used The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again"...a song from the 70s, in a modern movie which is a sequel to an 80s movie. What a missed opportunity.

>How?
Really? You're asking how?

Attached: tom_cruise_2.jpg (3984x2656, 1.09M)

take your meds you fucking autist
>pilot almost passes out
yes this happens, trying to underscore the physicality of what they're trying to do and make it more impressive when a fifty-something year old does it
>why wasn't hangman chosen for the mission
kept leaving his wingman and showboating, he was the best technical pilot but couldn't work with the team, setup for redemption in the end
>romance is bad
you're seriously complaining that the fat lesbo wasn't in it? it was about rekindling an old romance, not trying to start something new-whether she objected or not Maverick was going to fly the mission because he proved he was the only one who could lead it
>maverick pulled USNA app
A Captain is a pretty fucking big deal, and a Captain who is best friends with a 4-star admiral can make a lot of things happen (like stay on flying status 15 years longer than your peers...)
there were a lot of points where this could have happened-a call to Rooster's congressman, a call to the admissions committee, a strongly-worded letter to the admissions committee.

>yes this happens, trying to underscore the physicality of what they're trying to do and make it more impressive when a fifty-something year old does it
They hammered over the head how physical it was. But we already saw Mav go Mach 10 in the beginning so we know that he can do it already.
>kept leaving his wingman and showboating
We literally see him do that once on their first training mission with Mav. Nothing else after.
>you're seriously complaining that the fat lesbo wasn't in it?
No, I'm saying they could have written the Mav/Penny romance better, retard. They meet, fall in love, the end. No tension, conflict, etc.
>it was about rekindling an old romance,
Life isn't that simple. Nor should storytelling be. I can't think of a movie where the romance plot (which wasn't even necessary in this case) was just "they meet again, hook up, fall in love, nothing else".
>A Captain is a pretty fucking big deal
Most of the Admirals seemed to be shitting on Mav the entire movie.
>Captain who is best friends with a 4-star admiral can make a lot of things happen
There's no way Ice was a 4 star Admiral when Rooster APPLIED to the Naval Academy out of high school (or maybe after a few years of enlisted Naval service). That must have been 20 years ago.

maybe scientology isn't as bas as we were told on Any Forums years ago...

>nitpicking autist doesn't understand anything
every time lmao

Attached: 1654031173451.jpg (720x470, 31.01K)

>mach 10
not necessarily the same as 10G's, more to prove he's willing to bend metal to achieve goals
>hangman
he does it with Phoenix and with Rooster and is implied to be a trend (Phoenix's comments in the bar)
>no tension
trying to get women in seats
>captain isn't a big deal
compared to two-star admirals; the President doesn't really give a shit about individual Congressmen but a Congressman is still a big deal
>There's no way Ice was a 4-star
ignoring the external timeline, let's assume that Rooster was a 2nd tour LT, which would make him roughly 30 max 34; he would have applied 12-16 years prior; Maverick would have been at least a full Commander and Iceman (who was more career oriented) would probably have been a Captain if not a 1-star; Maverick probably won AT LEAST a DFC for 1986; if he and a full captain called Rooster's congressman his app would be DOA

I realized I never actually watched the original top gun. Will that be a prerequisite to watching and enjoying this recent Top Gun?

you'll be slightly more emotionally invested
>who's the guy with the moustache? guess he's maverick's dead friend? oh yeah
>who's the old fat guy? that's Iceman? sheeit

fuck off glowie no matter how hard you shill it young ppl today won't enlist

>not necessarily the same as 10G's, more to prove he's willing to bend metal to achieve goals
Fair enough. But all this talk doesn't justify the pretty much pointless scene of the pilot passing out from the G forces. The movie proceeded as if it didn't happen.
>he does it with Phoenix and with Rooster and is implied to be a trend (Phoenix's comments in the bar)
Again, this was all very early on in their 3 (later 2 week) training. And after the football scene they all seemed to be working together. There was no more talk of "Hangman is still ditching his wingman".
>trying to get women in seats
You can do that and tell a good story (see Top Gun 1)
>compared to two-star admirals
Mav still wouldn't have the clout to get an Academy application pulled. Especially one that is the son of a Naval officer that was killed during a training mission. Rooster had built in legacy.
> let's assume that Rooster was a 2nd tour LT, which would make him roughly 30 max 34
Wrong. He's around 5 in Top Gun 1. Which was in 1986, so he is born in 81. This movie was supposed to come out in 2020. So he should be 39 (or late 30s if they want to be the timeline a little). He would have applied to the Naval Academy in the late 90s early 00s.
> a full captain called Rooster's congressman his app would be DOA
Nonsense. They didn't say they "called his congressman" they said Mav "pulled his application". And there's no way a congressman would just pull the application of a dead naval officers son who is trying to serve his country without a damn good reason.

This thread isn't for you, zoomer.

wouldn't say it's essential, but it's defo worth seeing the og first

Soul

>proceeded as if it didn't happen
Coyote got dropped
>after football scene
immediately after the football scene Jon Hamm took over the program then Mav stole the F-18; there was no training shown between the initial strike failures and the football scene
>TG1 is a great love story
lol.
>A CDR didn't have the clout
one with a DSC or possibly a Navy Cross would
>he was 5 in '86
nah more like 3-4
ignoring the external timeline, which this movie does. Until 2019 the max age to apply to be a Naval Aviator was 27, so the oldest he could possibly be as a LT would be 36
>pulled vs called
you're arguing semantics; the point was that Maverick interceded on the admissions process

>Coyote got dropped
Wasn't he on the carrier at the end? Wasn't he still in reserve along with the other pilots that weren't chosen? And this was not the character to do this to. I didn't even remember his name.
>immediately after the football scene Jon Hamm took over the program then Mav stole the F-18; there was no training shown between the initial strike failures and the football scene
Exactly. After the football scene we assumed they were now a team. They should have showed that Hangman was still back to his old bad habits.
>>TG1 is a great love story
Stop putting words in mouth retard. I said it was better than Top Gun 2, nothing more.
>one with a DSC or possibly a Navy Cross would
No way. They would have to have a damn good reason. Not just "yeah his dad died 15 years ago and now he's not allowed to serve his country".
>nah more like 3-4
Ok. Wow, you really proved me wrong here.
>Until 2019 the max age to apply to be a Naval Aviator was 27, so the oldest he could possibly be as a LT would be 36
Again, big win your part. The only argument you won is that MAYBE he is 3 years younger than I guessed.
>you're arguing semantics; the point was that Maverick interceded on the admissions process
Fair enough, but it still doesn't make any sense. No way Mav or Ice had that kind of clout when it went down and no way a congressman would just reject a dead naval officers son's application.

I didn't understand something:
Why could they tomahawk missile the Russian air force base but not the surface to air missiles? Why couldn't they fly a B-2 bomber super high in the air and just drop bombs on that little target in the canyon that they had to hit?

It was an underground bunker. They had to blow an opening into it but then send missiles actually inside it. That's why they needed two teams.

I had the worst experience seeing this movie yesterday.

>Be me
>Birthday was the day before
>Tell my friend I wanted to see Top Gun 2 in IMAX to celebrate
>Never seen a movie in IMAX, only saw Top Gun twice a few years ago, but thought it'd be a fun experience
>Both of us live in a small town so we travel to another town to go to their AMC theater
>Get there
>Lady at the front says we have to pick our seats
>Place is packed
>Choose to go to another showing at 5:30 since we'd be sitting a little closer to each other
>Not IMAX tho, a little disappointed, but still excited to see plane kino
>We share a $20 pizza that was only six slices and was rough
>Finally go in the screening a little early so ads are playing
>Sit in the world's comfiest chair next to my friend until the mfers who actually sit next to him show up
>This guy is my best friend, but he literally doesn't know that it's been 100 years since 1920
>more people start coming until I have to move up a row
>A little bigger of a distance from my friend, but it's fine
>The most obnoxious ads start playing
>Trailers come on, people are talking but that's not too bad, pretty normal
>The longest theater ad I've ever witnessed comes on before the movie
>Movie finally starts and Tom Cruise starts talking about how the audience had to sit through decades worth of ads to watch the movie
>Someone says "Thanks Tom"
>Movie starts for real
>Lady right next to me and her husband/boyfriend/fuckbuddy talk
>Figure they'd say a few things and that'd be it
>Lady makes comments about everything happening in the movie
>"Oh wow", "Uh oh", "shouldn't have done that" shit
>Don't wanna say "Shut the fuck up" because I don't wanna look like a dick
>She pulls out a fuckin hand fan like she's royalty, then clicks something
>The whole time
>Get negative laughs because she would laugh every time a joke was said
>These two talk the entire movie
>Movie ends
>Tell my friend it was good
>"Anything you didn't like?"
>MfwIcantalkaboutthisbitch

Attached: mqdefault.jpg (107x108, 4.33K)

Oh ok. But why couldn't they tomahawk missile the SAM sites? Those were on the top of the mountains.