ALIEN 3 discussion thread

Was there a deleted scene I'm misisng? Right where it cuts to black ... the version I watched included a scene where she almost makes out with the alien's head before returning to Dillan and realizing the Alien won't kill her. I'm pretty sure it was there unless I'm getting it mixed with Alien 4.
youtube.com/watch?v=hmF_IO6Aiag

>killing Hicks and Newt
Alien 3 should had been a stand alone movie with its own cast. That's where it fucked up honestly.
>all the character look the same (mostly bald, white, even Ripley looked like a dude)
That's also a problem. Even in prison break movies not all the characters look the same.
>The characters
Beyond the doctor, warden, the poetic black guy, the crazy skinny poetic guy, 85 IQ guy the rest are very background fodder.
And again the problem is that you're rooting for characters that are going to die and focusing all the action on the human characters rather than the alien which can be quite contradicting. Ripley and the Alien almost eclipse everyone and the characters themselves aren't say better than Bishop, Hicks, Newt...
Story does feel very slow, the alien finally meets Ripley after 60 minutes into the movie. It's so slow and lengthy you almost get to develop the doctor which unfortunately gets killed off thus wasting time developing him, he should have survived together with Dillan.
>Techniques used
Indeed it does feel like a pretentious artistic stylistic film trying to sync up bullshit like the religious poetry with the alien's birth. I kinda liked that.

Alien 3 would fit perfectly with Riddick.

The Shawshank Redemption wasn't depressive like Alien 3. It had an intellectual main character and some memorable secondary characters that got their plots resolved.
When the Shawshank Redemption did synced actions it did it for in-world reasons rather than artistic reasons.
youtube.com/watch?v=8jRRZPGa3fU

Attached: 1653964370405.png (624x407, 279.63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/166112609/#166114171
youtube.com/watch?v=0edulDy1PYE
youtube.com/watch?v=GJleW4TCQM0
magicmenagerie.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/my-pop-life-171-praying-for-time-george-michael/
magicmenagerie.wordpress.com/2019/06/01/my-pop-life-220-3am-eternal-live-at-the-s-s-l-the-k-l-f/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Alien 3 could had been an interesting combo of a feelsie prison break story with a monster making everyone go insane.
Same for the monastery concept.

A horror film happening in a monastery would had been novel, doubly so for being a monastery set in a sci-fi setting.
Just like the Alien is really just an insectoid reptile skeleton in a sci-fi setting.

Just like in Alien 4 I liked the idea they had going on of making the Alien mind control people and having whoever is infected with an embryo feel the aliens, but they didn't bother putting it to good use as a main mechanic of the film like the motion tracker.
>>

It went wrong by coming after Aliens honestly.
If it came right after Alien then they could have kept Ripley as a main character without the problem of Bishop, Hicks, Newt. It would had made more sense to call it Alien 1.5 but dumbasses aren't smart enough to think of that let alone agree to that because they're stubborn cunts.

That isn't to say Alien 3 wouldn't had still been severely compared to Alien 1. In Alien 1 the crew are friends and it's a more badass cold indifferent atmosphere.
In Alien 3 it's nothing but frenemies, a disgusting brownish diarrhea atmosphere where they shit where they eat.

If you are a fan of prison break movies that is excellent for you. If you are a fan of average horror movies set in haunted mansions then you will not appreciate the Elder Scrolls 3 aesthetic and pathetic shitty atmosphere.

After Aliens everyone was expecting the Earth Wars, they were expecting the world design to keep evolving into something bigger and bigger.

The soundtrack is very biblical and very dark fantasy medieval almost like Legacy of Kain. The problem is you can don't hear a lot of it.
Another massive problem in Alien 3 is that you can barely fucking hear what the actors are saying. You cannot watch it without subs on.

Honestly they could have did something cool and have 2 movies for Alien 3; one from the perspective of the prisoners to get that prison break atmosphere and 1 from the perspective of the alien to get that colder more badass atmosphere. The alien perspective would be dedicated to fans who don't give a shit about the civilians and just want their killer Spawn/Batman alien on the loose. Another interesting thing they could have did from the alien's perspective is to have everything in black & blue or green & black to emphasize that cold and badass atmosphere instead of that yellow-brown diarrhea aesthetic that's more suited for a post apocalyptic kinda film to make you feel sorry for how pathetic they are and how they're living in shit.

I read a comic book in that old timey yellow piss aesthetic and it's frankly very good at capturing a pathetic kinda depression.
Meanwhile the black Alien is more goth and goth is more badass. Blue & black a more detached, colder kinda depression.

Still retarded of them to have tried doing a progressive story instead of AU in-betweens on top of AU in-between. They actually did that in one of the books ... Ripley is intercepted by a ship and Ash becomes or was a malevolent AI that somehow uploaded himself to her dropship and when the crew rescue the dropship Ash uploads himself to the rest of the giant ship that rescued the dropship.

>Is Alien 3 a good movie?
The theatrical cut is abysmal and the Assembly Cut is tolerable. I give the AC cut a 6/10, I could give it a 4/10 if I'm being really critical. There's infinitely better prison break movies out there than Alien 3.
You could make Alien 3 as good as The Shawshank Redemption and the best episodes and scenes from Prison Break the series, but you have to rewrite everything.
But overall no Alien and Aliens kicks Alien 3's ass, Alien 3 has a special eds fight with Alien 4/Ressurection for interesting ideas done wrong. Actionfags say 4 is better than 3.

bump

If I was Fincher I wouldn't had agreed to work with this script after Aliens had come out. It would had never been popular to begin with. Depressing artistic prison break stories with religion just aren't the majority's cup of tea. No matter how well this movie was written, if they had kept the same tonality and same elements of christian religion then nobody would have bought it, nobody that wasn't some pretentious douchebag or some hapless depressed person that can accept prisons, religion, criminals, etc. as something normalized. You'd have to shove in some action hero like Riddick and make the tone less depressing, whenever a secondary character like in that 1 Starship Troopers movie would spout "religion" the action character would punch him in the teeth and feed him to the alien while the audience cheers.

Despite my current emotions for Alien 3 atm, this honeymoon phase after I rewatched it, despite being in a mood to watch depressive artistic shit like Fantastic Planet, I still objectively judge them as 6/10 and 7/10 movies (in Fantastic Planet's case) and I still think the scores might be too high.
But I never fall for the delusion of elevating it to 9/10 and even saying Alien 3 > Alien 1 , it's just not possible.

Even with a complete rewrite if you do not change the tone to match Alien 1 then Alien 3 cannot compete. You cannot have the yellow-brown depression and try to convince the audience it's superior to Alien 1's atmosphere. Some tonalities/atmospheres are simply superior to others

Just like moldy cheese and bitter wine Alien 3 is an acquired taste, that is to say yes it sucks(continued). Alien 1 /slasher fics are a broader niche, still niche, but much broader just like The Addam's Family.
Stuff like Starship Troopers and Aliens are even broader, people enjoy action.
Translating bitter atmospheres and elements such as prisons and religious cults into something palpable for the average audience is an art in itself.

(continued) I recently watched and appreciated Fantastic Planet to get ideas for my future IP and what a true alien and lovecraft movie would feel like. If only it had more logic behind each gimmick like WH40k. I was not that impressed with the designs of Fantastic Planet, I found them very boring just like Lovecraft and Dr Who's designs. I played a game called Atrox which is a clone of SC1, but with different more interesting designs, namely for the Intellion. Those are the kind of designs I want to see world building ideas attached to and explored through sound logic. Stuff like Dr Who's designs and its tonality I cannot care for to see them explored in the first place. That is where everyone comes from when they say they can't get into it. Like making an Alien movie starring Mickey Mouse, the happy tone and design doesn't work.

If you want Alien 3 to become a masterpiece you need to dump the script into the trash cause it's unsalvageable if you modify more than 10% of it.

You instead need to make some mixture of Silence of the Lambs and The Shawshank Redemption to make a movie worth calling a 9/10. Or some other good stories and characters I can't think of right now.

Personally I want an Alien-focused movie without giving a shit about the human characters. Sitcoms are never a good idealistic element in horror movies. The monster is usually the winner for 98% of the length in these movies while everyone else except for 1 character is a loser, to put it bluntly.

Through analogies like these you'll never get far with your script. You'll have an anime-tier script like Naruto or some children's play of the bible stories or Shakespeare
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/166112609/#166114171

Just like Prometheus and Covenant...
In order for trash comparisons like these to work even at least 40% you'd have to literally just reenact a parodic version of the bible story through aliens and even then it's not going to be good when the original bible stories are terrible and Shakespeare isn't very deep it's actually translated for plebeians just like Alice in the Wonderland is purposefully political instead of incidental. Silence of the Lambs never got overtaken by its elements like today's sjw trash does. The tranny plot was never a major annoying nuisance shoved down your throat like religion.
youtube.com/watch?v=0edulDy1PYE
youtube.com/watch?v=GJleW4TCQM0

>Still seething about Alien 3 after 30 years
Newt and Hicks were shit characters and neither actor wanted to return. Learn to live with it, Alien 3 was kino.

No I don't care about Newt & Hicks, hell I barely care for Ripley and I actually wanted her to just go commit suicide earlier in Alien 3 and have the doctor be the main character instead.

Charles Dance would have been a good main character desu

I won't suck his dick just like I don't suck Sigourney's cunt like everyone here does.
Dr Clemens is written too much like an android. He lacks personality, as do all the characters in the Aliens franchise. If it isn't stereotypical shitheads then it's passive neutral mature characters who have very subtle personality traits.

A character like Riddick would have fit perfectly in Alien 3 or rather Fury 161 would had fit perfectly in Riddick's world.

alien 3 is one of the most gangster sci fi pictures of all time-----its better than the first two alien pictures combined

Gangsters flicks are a little more badass than post-apocalyptic worlds and characters. Also none of the characters on Fury 161 came off as Riddick tier or Batman tier.
Post-apocalyptic worlds are naturally pathetic compared to gothic worlds like Gotham city. Gangsters have class, post apocalypse does not.

I actually for that matter enjoyed Riddick 3. Riddick is hunted down by 2 genres of teams. Post-apocalyptic hicks and either well-kept Stargate soldiers or downright suave Bladerunner Matrix professionals, they both fail, but the Matrix professionals give the hicks class anytime of the day and even come closer to slightly capturing Riddick compared to the hicks who have 0 tech. In the end most of the hicks characters die and only the pro Stargate team is left alive.

There was a comedy-drama movie with an American and Russian spy and for some reason the American was 80% effective while the Russian spy often got his ass kicked and failed at everything and was overall an idiot who never came up with the plan.

I like the contrasts and I wish Alien would have incorporated them. A bigger more professional corporation that shits all over Weyland Yutani's mouth and shows off how incompetent they are and how the aliens can in fact be used efficiently but not as direct zoological bioweapons but instead for medicine and biosuits like Warframes.

Alien and Aliens feel like they're in a scifi future somewhere far away in space. Alien 3 doesn't feel scifi at all. The location just feels like some old industrial shithole on Earth.

Riddick 3 also carries an interesting combination of what made Riddick 1 good. You get both Riddick surviving Bear Grylls style in the wilderness and Riddick getting hunted down by bounty hunters (except this time the bounty hunters aren't completely out of their league) and in Riddick 1(Pitch Black) they only waste 10% of the movie on the environmental monsters where Riddick and his bounty hunters have to team up to overcome the odds and they constantly try to betray each other.

Pitch Black feels like Alien 1 and Riddick 3 feels like what Prometheus attempted to do by going in and out of the ship back to the space jockey, except Riddick 3 was actually effective at it by structuring each element/genre in its own separate timeslot instead of mixing them like retards. Thus you end up with a clear distinct plots A, B, C but without flip-flopping like it's LOTR 2. You end up with 3 movies one after another instead of 3 movies smushed together which desperately need to be edited-separated like LOTR 2. Might as well call it plot A1,A2,A3 really.

Sci-fi post apocalyptic ... a lot of scenes from Star Wars and Riddick also could had been shot in shitholes on Earth.

AVP2(the video game) funnily enough has 2-3 characters with more personality than almost all the Alien movies. But that's because they're stereotypes so they exhibit their personality 24/7 without any subtlety.
Rykov, Heinseberg, Frosty. The predator and alien don't really have a personalty, you can't do body language correctly in low-budget video games with next to no animation.

magicmenagerie.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/my-pop-life-171-praying-for-time-george-michael/
magicmenagerie.wordpress.com/2019/06/01/my-pop-life-220-3am-eternal-live-at-the-s-s-l-the-k-l-f/