Do you live in a seismically active area? What does it feel like? Have you ever experienced an earthquake...

Do you live in a seismically active area? What does it feel like? Have you ever experienced an earthquake? Are you afraid some of the huge earthquakes that affected your area in the past might repeat?

Tbh the fear of an earthquake is one of the reasons why I couldn't live in a country like Japan, but it seems like these people don't care about it. Is it really so easy to get used to living in a constant fear?

Attached: Distribution-of-seismically-active-regions-across-the-globe-extracted-from-De-Sensi-3.png (850x391, 135.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TLyxQor7N8o
youtube.com/watch?v=puxwht9qZF4
youtube.com/watch?v=YGACQX27wfM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nothing ever happens in Sweden but I was pretty near Tohoku (24km) when the magnitude 9.0 hit.
Felt extremely weird when the ground moved like crazy and you could SEE the earth move almost like water. Like the hills a few kilometers away were rising and dropping like waves.
Luckily for me and my family we were deep enough inland that the following tsunami didn't reach us. We had been in Sendai just hours before that and they got hit bad.

That's the only natural disaster I've ever experienced.

seismicchugal

In our case we learned the hard way, losing several historic centers.
I don't know what percentage of buildings in Chile have anti-seismic technology in the buildings (but they reduce the feeling of being in an earthquake by 60%, and internal damage by 80%), we copied Japan's early warning system (before a message appeared on TV, today cell phones emit an alarm), we created a kind of traffic signaling, but for tsunamis, so that people who are more careless know where to flee. buoys that measure the movement of the sea to calculate tsunamis in real time, a map of the entire country with possible flood areas.
They are measures that aim to reduce deaths more than physical damage, which can occur anyway.
depending on the magnitude and depth. a magnitude 5.0 earthquake at 50 km depth can be felt stronger than one of 7.0 at 200 km
Here in Chile people can calculate just by feeling the movement more or less of what magnitude the earthquake was, empirical knowledge

what are you supposed to do in case the earthquake starts? do you have special bunkers where you can stay safe?

are you already mentally used to living in the fear? do you know people who decided to live Chile for a less seismically active country for this reason?

>but they reduce the feeling of being in an earthquake by 60%
I thought seismic buldings moved more because the materials can bend without breaking therefore preventing further disasters

yes
we would have had less commieblocks and more old architecture if not for past earthquakes
many small ones, at most they ruin roads and make stuff fall off from shelves
I'm not scared, but it would ruin my life if it happened again

Attached: file.png (780x439, 160.78K)

>what are you supposed to do in case the earthquake starts? do you have special bunkers where you can stay safe?

You don't have to lose your cool.
earthquakes don't kill people. At most they shake you a little or they can cause you a heart attack scare to those who are not used to it. What is really dangerous are the constructions and the material that surrounds you, which, when detaching with an earthquake movement, can carte on top of you. The system warns 1 minute before the earthquake occurs on the cell phone. A minute can make a difference

a bunker? bunkers are for wars, they are not for earthquakes.

>are you already mentally used to living in the fear? do you know people who decided to live Chile for a less seismically active country for this reason?
Who told you that we live in fear? we are not afraid.

desu i don't understand why people still want to invest in cities which were affected and destroyed by big earthquakes in the past. It can repeat any day and there is nothing you can do about it, so what's the point? It's really a sad thing to think your whole life, everything you worked for can be obliterated in a few seconds.

Apparently the insulators that were created here help reduce the effects of telluric movement up to eight times, and the energy dissipators can reduce the deformation of the structure by 40%.

i live inside a dormant volcano

In Chile we have 2,000 volcanoes. 90 are potentially active, of those, 14 are considered dangerous, 200 thousand people live in their surroundings.
In Chile we have the Sernageomin that monitors the volcanoes of South America. In the case of Chile, it monitors the most dangerous active volcanoes in real time

Maybe they should invest in Eastern Poland instead, right?

Oh cool.
Apparently if your build bending foundations the building remains relatively stable

Yes

>northeast Brazil
Lies

Grew up in Alaska, we had a pretty big earthquake (~6.0) every year or so, I was in a 7.0 and that was terrifying, even when it was winding down it felt like our house was an ocean boat

>what are you supposed to do in case the earthquake starts?
Just stay inside, open the door so it doesn't lock in case the frame gets damaged, and move away from large windows and anything that can fall or tip over you. In schools they teach kids to hide under their desk.
The dangerous part is actually the upcoming tsunami. If the earthquake was strong enough and you're in the danger zone, your phone will start playing a really loud alarm with a warning telling you to gtfo. Coastal cities also have massive sirens so you'll definitely know when it's time to evacuate. Just look for the "evacuation route" signs or follow the crowd.
youtube.com/watch?v=TLyxQor7N8o

Attached: 1628181471872.jpg (2136x1424, 402.68K)

The worst natural disasters here are floods and the occasional avalanches or landslides. I'm not in any area affected by either and people rarely die due to natural disasters these days.

I always remember the video of the gays and the mexican
youtube.com/watch?v=puxwht9qZF4

youtube.com/watch?v=YGACQX27wfM