I don't understand the appeal of the films of Woody Allen

I don't understand the appeal of the films of Woody Allen.

Attached: 5000.jpg (1200x1200, 157.72K)

Congrats you're not a pedophile. So you're on the wrong board. Wrong website even. Maybe just get off the Internet.

I want to say nepotism.
The same kind that keeps him, Franco & Kevin Spacey out of prison.

Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Zelig are really the only ones you need to watch.

Does anybody?

Neurosis.

What's the deal with his eyes? The right one looks normal while the left one droops. Did he have a stroke?

Like, the only film I enjoyed was "Midnight in Paris" only because of the constant name dropping of "The Lost Generation" authors.

Sometimes he hits the nail on the head with how retarded relationships are and how their value intrinsically rests upon your own ego. The other times it's garbage like Love and Death. "haha reference to russian literature, haha"

Attached: Annie Hall (1977).mkv_20220502_191941.624.jpg (1920x1040, 374.89K)

Good, they are shit. Hes dead anyway.

being a midwit is the only appeal to his movies

Sure. They're light and ephemeral and often charmingly slapdash because he cares more about wrapping up by 5 than he does obsessing over details. At worst they end up being a mildly annoying diversion for 90 minutes while you watch some generally decent looking people having a laugh. Sometimes he captures lightning in a bottle and the effervescence contributes to the kino qualities of the picture (Midnight in Paris; Purple Rose of Cairo, etc).

Few other people are making films for mid-market adults the way that Woody is, or has. For a while it seemed like Whit Stillman was going to be a comfy WASP version of Woody, but he largely faded out of filmmaking to putter around France.

Attached: images.jpeg-7.jpg (225x225, 7.56K)

Sleeper Wakes was kind of funny

IT'S THERAPY! I DETEST IT! (based orson)

>No Midnight In Paris
>No Deconstructing Harry

Half of his work is quite sincere and wistful and other half is goofy meme references from 100 years ago and then sometimes he'll make a brutal crime thriller out of the blue.

I wasn't allowed to watch his stuff when I was a kid, due to the diddler accusations. Wasn't allowed to watch stuff by Salva or Polanski either.

So, Allen's movies always had some mysterious appeal to me. At least until I got to college and watched some in a film class.

>Oh. It's just some movie with him playing himself, or someone playing a version of him, sleeping with women that are younger than him

Most are nicely shot I guess?

Sleeper was hilarious. For me it was the giant banana and the sex orb.

When I was a kid I didn't know where to start with grown up kinos I watched a ton of his films, some of them multiple times in a bit to understand what I was missing.
Feels good to know that all these years later and now being good at understanding kinos that I simply wasn't a pleb when I was a kid.

>>Oh. It's just some movie with him playing himself, or someone playing a version of him, sleeping with women that are younger than him
Based

Attached: IMG_20220406_103534.jpg (593x900, 146K)

Woody Allen movies are a little like capeshit. Same formula, same character, same references, but it's usually pretty cosy so I don't mind.

Antz is a great period piece of the late 90's imo

People don't read anymore so most Woody Allen references (which are pretty basic) won't make any sense to them.

Some of his references flew over my head at the time, but no longer, and they don't improve the quality of his work.
Is my post high brow kino if I name-drop Brecht? no.

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder kinda like a woody allen character

I get pissed off because no one thinks I read books because I'm retarded.