This is a serious thread

This is a serious thread.
Is there anything from western tv that can genuinely match the top of the top anime?
In terms of plot driven shows, with great character writing. Does the west have anything that can compare? I ask because i've watched a lot of western shows in the past 2~ years and while there are shows I like, it's mainly because of the characters and dialogue themselves while plot is always poorly written or takes a backseat and is just a vehicle for more character stuff.
Every western tv show that's rated highly is character focused, never plot at least from what i've seen.

Attached: p451029_b_h10_aa.jpg (1920x1080, 402.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5tOQC5R3MK4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wrong board

thats a good thing plotfags get the rope

>posts anime where the characters are 100% of the focus and the plot is an incoherent mess

provide substance and backing to your argument. go ahead and analyze the show

I haven't seen anything manage it as concisely, but yes.

Eva is literally just about how being a loner sperglord isn't something to be romanticized and you should stop being a neet. I have no idea how you could watch that show and think it wasn't entirely character focused.

maybe am brainlet but the characters aren't that special either??? but i havent watched in year so. basically from what I remember rei doesn't have a character and is basically just a plot device, asuka is an anime trope and is competitive about her work but also at the end of the series we find out her mother commited suicide and she is sad about that i guess, misato is a whore, shinji is a basic introverted loser incel to relates to the audience and main conflict is balancing his responsibilties and his personal health, what else is there

>it's another insecure weeb comes here to try and convince us his Chinese cartoons are actually not trash
The best of your medium are all derivative of Western media and the Japs worship Western cinema and TV because they haven't produced anything good since Kurosawa. Even the gooks are producing better shit than them now.

Now fuck off back to your containment board.

>No one answers OPs question and gives him any recs
Is he right?

Attached: 1626059717683.jpg (634x703, 61.17K)

just because youre a brainlet who cant follow a plot with a bit opf subtlety doesnt mean its bad

Yes nge is the best show ever made, except maybe sopranos. But it's still anime

What gets me about eva is how well it entwines it's themes into the setting. Hey we have this show about robots fighting monsters, with themes about loneliness and isolation, so the monsters have "isolation" in the form of the AT field as one of their primary strengths.

The way the series totally blindsides you in EoE with the destruction of every human's AT field, merging us all into one being as the ultimate opposite of loneliness in a way that is 100% consistent with the robots v monsters show is just amazing to me.

I've yet to see anything else manage this fusion so well.

>maybe am brainlet but
No "but" required.

Attached: 1628991956748.jpg (500x379, 36.6K)

It's nihilistic nonsensical bullshit, OP.

That literally doesn't answer the question. You claim it's derivative yet can't provide any examples. It's not a debate, it's a genuine question but instead of backing it up with actual facts by posting tv shows that match or surpass Eva and numerous other anime you simply complain that anime sucks

Breaking Bad
Game of Throne (seasons 1-5)
The Terror

>last third is really bad
>EoE is worse
psyop

No, it's a clown show and BCS is the better written show but more character focused than BB
Maybe, haven't seen it just know the ending is bad
Never heard, will look into

>5 seasons of 45 min episodes
>5 seasons of 50 min episodes
>2 seasons of [an hour?] long episodes
vs
>1 season of 20 minute episodes and a movie

I'm welcome to be proven wrong if you can explain the plot in a way that makes it distinct from the central themes and character development.
Because most of it is just random bits of religious iconography and robot fights to look cool. Which there's absolutely nothing wrong with, it just means it's a character driven show and not a plot driven one.

I can't really give any recs until I understand what OP is asking for desu
If he wants something plot-focused then I'm at a loss, because focusing on plot is the fastest way to make something utter shit

>>last third is really bad
>>EoE is worse

Attached: 1631454843906.jpg (474x474, 32.04K)

most movies are plot focused numbnuts

Name 3

Most westerns, nearly every superhero movie, most action-revenge movies.

Okay, here is a purely plot focused summary:
>Two giant moon sized objects are found in the earth, one under Japan, one under the antarctic
>Scientists discover instructions in these moons explaining what they are and what they contain
>Each moon contains a giant being, the being beneath antarctica is impaled by a spear leaving it in a form of stasis
>The other moon contains the progenitor of all life on earth
>An illuminati like group want to use the power of these beings to control all of humanity
>They perform a 'contact experiment' introducing a child to the being which causes the 'third impact', killing half of all life on earth and fucking shit up real bad, because life spawned from one moon is incompatible with life from the other (for now)
>Research continues with these beings for some time
>Because of the contact experiment numerous beings have spawned from the antarctic being, called angels
>The eva project begins to fight these beings so that the illuminati can complete the plan to use the being to rule humanity
>During the eva project the lead's wife dies (this is a major plotpoint that we won't get into)
>Because of his wife's death he hatches his own plan to use the beings to fuse all humanity together so that he can be with his wife again (won't explain)
>>>> EVA STARTS HERE
>The main plot of eva is fighting these angels using their own artifical angels, most of the content of the season is about this conflict and revealing what was discussed above
>Ultimately the means of Gendo's plan (Rei, a clone of his wife who houses the soul of the being in the moon under Japan) chooses instead to not be a puppet and to let the MC use her power as he wishes instead of either the illuminati or Gendo
>The culmination is the illuminati and Gendo fighting to use the beings for their own purpose. Ultimately neither get their way because of the main character
There you go, that's the plot, no themes

i lost all respect for anno when i learned he literally stole everything from old anime for eva and the only thing original he did was the christian influences
youtube.com/watch?v=5tOQC5R3MK4

>it's mainly because of the characters and dialogue themselves while plot is always poorly written or takes a backseat and is just a vehicle for more character stuff.
You literally just described Eva. People remember that show because of its deeply human characters and themes, their powerful emotional impact, not because they give a fuck about the ancient aliens or SEELE's spooky scheme to merge all souls through religious mumbo jumbo. Some of the most iconic sequences in both the show and EoE are practically dream sequences with no 'plot' to speak of

Thank you for illustrating that most of this "lore" is arbitrary gibberish, the key points that actually matter and drive the action (Gendo missing his wife, Rei III's desire for autonomy, Shinji's inner conflict...) all come from the characters.

If you actually watched Ideon, you'd have a lot more respect for Anno since he was able to turn such mediocre inspiration into a masterpiece.

>references are stealing
okay