Why is Ronin considered to be a masterpiece again...

Why is Ronin considered to be a masterpiece again? It's got some good heist stuff in it and the car chases are kinda cool but the story itself is rather bland, only Jean Reno and DeNiro are anyway interesting as characters and it's largely just forgettable movie with dull twists and fairly unimpressive ending. And it has nowhere near the sort of cool atmosphere that makes up for other faults after the gun buy goes bad.

Attached: MV5BOWVkYzliZGEtODIxMi00MDQwLThjMDAtNzI3M2NjYjg4NDE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg (1000x1478, 152.92K)

Could not get into it
Felt like a badly written TV movie.

its bad movie but memorable as fuck

What's memorable about it? The amphitheatre?

>only Jean Reno and DeNiro
I know it's hard to believe now, but back then, two well-known, respected and popular actors could carry the entire movie.

a slow burn to be sure, but DeNiro does some outrageous scene stealing out of the blue that makes it worth watching

The car scenes are top tier

No, I get why this was successful in that regard. I'm just critical of the fact Sean Bean is entirely wasted as a wannabe operator who reveals himself to be utterly incompetent, Pryce as the big Oirish villain is a token bad guy without really giving him any space to be villainous that makes you like him as a baddie unless you care about him being a dick to his female underling and slitting Skipp Sudduth's throat. Stellan at least has a nice tiny niche as a psycho ex-KGB associate but even he doesn't really get to shine beyond shooting at the little girl at the playground.

Bobby D is mainly interesting because they put so much emphasis on how he's looking at all the angles all the time and is super proffessional and justifiably paranoid, which is fun, and he has a good chemistry and rapport with Jean Reno who does his usual supporting actor thing. But that's about it.

Op was ambushed with a cup of coffee

>Felt like a badly written TV movie.

Funnily enough David Mamet co-wrote it under a pseudonym.

True. It’s very reminiscent of the French Connection.

>And it has nowhere near the sort of cool atmosphere that makes up for other faults after the gun buy goes bad.
i always thought the quality of the movie fell off once bean gets kicked out of the group, i thought the whole movie would have that cool night vibe.
as it stands, it's an alright 90s action movie. the girl is hot and her face vaguely reminds me of debicki, i am face blind though. also i want to try the yellow cigarettes

It’s not bad

Not exactly a masterpiece either like some scholars say when they say it’s a late period Frankenheimer kino. Unless they’re grading his filmography with a giant curve.

I have very similar feelings about another DeNiro movie, Midnight Run. How is that considered a classic?

Attached: 3D162454-6AED-4774-A094-F2589CBD3548.jpg (400x600, 81.92K)

its a cool spy movie with cool action but the plot does have awful holes and it is pretty shitty
still entertaining/cool though

My friend in high school (who may have had Asperger's, no idea since he's now vanished) was obsessed with the car scenes in this movie. One thing he said is that the trajectory of the car in one scene looks like the cutting motion of a sword during seppuku, but I have no idea which part he was talking about even though he showed it to me.

Attached: unnamed_1.jpg (540x605, 133.69K)

also, when it came out cool stuff with cars was kind of rare in media
now you get on youtube and you have shit loads of videos of cool cars doing cool shit
back then niche car autism like fapping over an S8 was rare stuff
I remember finding a video of a guy that strapped a camera to his modded porsche and drove around some European city running from the cops and I burned it on a CD and watched it over and over because stuff like that was unique back then, Im sure its on youtube now and is probably completely forgettable but back then you would find something like that and be like 'holy shit!'

car chase stuff/cool cars doing cool things had more impact back in the day before the internet

No one calls it a masterpiece you dumb faggot, it just happens to have the best car chases of any film ever, on top of a really cool character played by DeNiro. The story is so basic a second grader could have written it

>Film critic and historian Stephen Prince called the film Frankenheimer's "end-of-career masterpiece".

Okay so one faggot no one on this board have ever heard of, called it a masterpiece. The OP acts as if this is the consensus, if you went by one dude's opinion than EVERY FILM would be a masterpiece, because someone out there thinks so.

funnily enough David Mamet is a fucking hack who is known for one scene in a screenplay he wrote, not for the entire screenplay. Guy and his family are the worst kind of communist jews as well.

It's like Bullitt, not really good when you think about it, but the car chase is iconic; come to think of it Seven Ups is like that too

The movie received plenty of critical praise, and some even went as far as hailing it as a masterpiece. It is a legitimate question to wonder why the movie generally speaking had such favorable reception that it’s still today largely remembered/considered great when it’s not really that amazing outside of technical aspects.
>But not on Any Forums!
That was never the claim and if your first instinct is to think that, go outside more.

Mamet’s a hardcore right winger, to a point he makes media appearances whining about how teachers are groomers.

Bullit is still able to be super cool movie despite very little happening in it outside of the chases, because McQueem is such a cool cat him doing grocery shopping and a bath is dope. Same cannot be said of Ronin where it loses the coolness thread after the halfway mark.