Why don't you watch movies with subtitles? Don't you know how to read?

Why don't you watch movies with subtitles? Don't you know how to read?

Attached: 1581368244956.jpg (824x1024, 91.33K)

Looks like the voice actors union is getting nervous, first DVD options then streaming...

I love the movies City Of God and Let The Right One In and watched the subtitled versions for years. But watching them dubbed was so much better because I could look at Instagram and read movie facts on my phone while semi watching the movie and still follow it.

Most audiences are retards

Because it’s the same translation and if you don’t understand the language you won’t get anything out of the original performances

I don't want to read while I'm watching a movie. It's stupid and it takes up screen space.

I do, but I'm becoming too busy for them. I've been watching less and less anime because subs mean I have to keep my eyes glued to the screen. If I don't, I can watch while doing other things, like cooking or cleaning or shitposting or whatever other thing requires a portion of my attention.

The other day I watched the first episode of Dark, I set it to the dub so I could do this, and now I feel like I have to rewatch the episode because it didn't grab me at all and everyone keeps saying it's the best shit ever, but here I am feeling like I don't yet give a shit about any of the characters. And with the time shifting back and forth, I'm not certain whether I'm watching different characters or the same ones at different points in their life.

This. It’s so much better reading the bottom of the screen while listening to a language you don’t understand the nuances of. It makes you a genius.

zoomers

The first guy you replied to is quite clearly mocking zoomers you autistic fuckin tard

>it should come as no surprise
I honestly thought the shitty lip sync and overall poorly voiced dubs would be off putting to people like they are to me

if you put subtitles on you can speed up to 2x and watch twice as much anime

>blah blah blah it was ironic
Not falling for your tricks

The real answer is this:
Film is a visual medium. Your eyes should be on the visual, frankly your eyes should be all over the screen. Being able to listen to dialogue (as opposed to reading it) frees you up to do this. You can study the subtleties of an actors face, or keep an eye out for details in blocking, set design, etc. I'm a fast reader but even so, it's not very fun constantly having to look at the bottom of the screen. Movie like slumdog millionaire had pretty clever ways around this, by incorporating it into the frame rather then keeping it at the bottom.
Additionally, subtitles are NOT great for comedic timing.
Give me the dubs so I can watch a fucking movie, if I wanted to read I'd open a book.

Also people who like subs are just jerking themselves off for feeling cultured, which is embarrassing.

"Why should I have to read my movie when I'm watching it. This isn't a book!"

It's funny because if the scale tips either way they're screwed. If subbing becomes more popular they're not needed. If dubbed productions get more popular than companies will start seeking out better talent.

This

Yes. What's wrong with that?

I am really bad at reading. I often can't read the entirety of a subtitle line before it moves to the next one, and if the sentence flow isn't very good, I have difficulty understanding the whole thing without going back and rereading it. I also tend to zone out easily while reading, and realize after a few lines that I haven't actually been paying attention. This is true for reading books, too. I think the Internet has rotted my brain.

Dubs suck, though.

Unless its animation i just cant get over the fact that there is a weird voice coming out of the actor mouth. Give me subs every time if its not animation.

Some people have triple-digit IQ and can take in images and text at the same time. Emotion in performance transcends language barrier and media should be consumed in their most original form possible.

>"It should come as no surprise that most AMERICAN audiences prefer dubbing to subtitles. The rest of the world has enough intelligence to read and watch at the same time and are fine with them."

Yeah Americans are retarded everyone knows that

Nobody thinks subs makes them feel cultured. That's like thinking reading books makes you smart.

>if I wanted to read I'd open a book.
What do you do if a character reads a letter on screen? Do you shut off the movie from the sensory overload?

yeah, the voice actors really associated with a character are a bit more safe

And missing half the movie? get real, just learn a new language

Maybe but you're speaking for enthusiasts. I'll watch a movie I hold in high regard with subs, such as Infernal Affairs.

But if I'm watching a flick once just give me the dubs.

I am dyslexic and I can deal with subs. Dubfags have no excuse. You're willfully choosing to be dumber than me, who is certified to be a dumb reader.

Subtitles is infinitely better because I can watch a movie at 6x speed with subtitle on. It's impossible to hear what a character is saying at 6x speed.

I can read very fast, but cannot hear fast.

>Pretending France, Italy, Germany, LATAM and Japan don't dub everything, too.

>What do you do if a character reads a letter on screen? Do you shut off the movie from the sensory overload?
what a dumb fucking argument. Like one moment in a film with text is comparable to spending an entire movie reading subtitles. Not making a good case for the "we totally don't jerk ourselves off!" angle.

Goyim are subhuman cattle who cannot even read

The only difference between the two is that fags feel smug about one of them

Does head hurt after watching a movie with subtitles from the mental effort? I hope my posts aren't too taxing either, I'll keep them short.

Do people actually have a problem watching a movie AND reading subs? You can parse the entire subtitle in less than half a second unless its some ridiculous anime sub thats a paragraph long with multiple editor notes.

Absolute brainlet opinion. You shouldn't have to put effort into looking at the bottom of the screen, the subs should just register to you as part of the whole picture. Quit pretending that you're micro-analyzing every pixel of the screen.
>Film is a visual medium.
Shut the fuck up. Film is a visual and AUDIO medium. The voice acting is just as important as the character's expressions and 99% of the time the directing of the dubbing is done without the involvement of the original director. The only thing worse than "jerking off for feeling cultured" is jerking yourself off for deliberately deviating further from the original creator's intent in their work because "you don't want to read a book."
>Additionally, subtitles are NOT great for comedic timing.
I will give you this. Though poor voice acting can ruin it just as easily.

>It should come as no surprise that most people are retards with terrible taste that are barely literate
Yeah, I already knew that, faggot.

Really, because I've only seen fags acting smug about both of them