/film/

Thread for the discussion of classic films and arthouse cinema.

>/film/ literature
mega.nz/folder/OVIDlQTJ#7L4e8TGqNnbJEFqQzaf8lw
>/film/ charts
mega.nz/folder/DtpiBSjT#PFN4YVpwqQRDL7r2_ZKXUw
>/film/ directors directory
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qgdYsMPAaFWrAa_7EHLpXqpOHLaDLmytM9wJ5nhGtqs/edit?usp=sharing
>but user, how do I make webms with MPV?
github.com/ekisu/mpv-webm

previous

Attached: based.png (544x437, 151.52K)

Attached: king.jpg (500x625, 82.68K)

second for Monicelli

But that's not King Orson I
>dat king bod

Attached: orson.jpg (450x665, 65.65K)

Death to plotfags.

Attached: Mouchette.png (1760x1080, 1.01M)

I kneel.

Der Pseud

Fuck off. Everything Everywhere All at Once recently proved how essential a well-written plot is.

I could explain why calling someone "plotfag" is peak pseud behaviour, but the question is, would there be a point in actually debating this with reasoning, or will all replies be just shitflinging?

Die tranny.

>liking plot bad
Good thing your own life has no plot

LMAO

>peak pseud
Nobody will take you and your buzzwords seriously but you can attempt although I bet it'll be buzzwords galore with pseud and pretentious in every second sentence.

Not even in the top 5 of contemporary directors and I'm a fan of his. The spamming of him lead to the downfall of these threads.

Q.E.D.

Name the top 5, please? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious and looking for recs.

I plunge mine formalist blade into thine chest! Roareth! Roareth wicked beast! Looketh on thine own demise!

>waits for his good friend Hemmingway to kill himself so he can steal his look

Based and cinemapilled.

Nu/film/ in action.

>that level of "insult"
Didn't know that high school girls posted here.

Great long form post about plot.

>LMAO
What's so funny? Got filtered by the best arthouse film of the year so far?

Costa, Carax, Zhangke, Grandrieux, Joe, Lynch in no order. I doubt you don't know them.

It was capeshit

Attached: 1633728767460.jpg (1920x1080, 984.82K)

Yup, seen all of their features, except for a few by Zhangke. Overall great taste. Not a big fan of Lynch myself.

That term has lost all meaning, I see.

I've been here at least 10 years before /film/ ever even existed on Any Forums

The problem with any discussion on film is that just as film itself is a mass medium (through the technical reproductibility of the art) the whole topic is much too driven by fashion (ie "group think"). Cinema, as a whole, relies on a canon, and once this has been established it becomes a heresy to question it, so reapprasing a film generally considered good or, moreso, artistic, clashes with opinions that aren't formed through dialectic reasoning, but by what is essentially a fashion movement, which follows human nature of taking confidence in any point of view that is widely shared within a group. Thus, the supposed "alternative" arthouse crowd actually just engages in your everyday group think with ideas like plot being irrelevant, without actually being able to elaborate on it.

Now the idea of plot being irrelevant is in itself interesting, since it goes back all the way to 19th century filmmaking, basically proclaiming that everything went wrong starting with L'Arroseur arrosé. In any case, it's a question of what is the raison d'être of film as a medium and/or an art form, what is the essential intention behind filmmaking. Surely no user who calls others plotfag can give a reasoned answer to this question, since it can't be a traditional conception such as "telling a story through an audiovisual medium". Personally, I subscribe the idea that the plot is one of the first levels (after the theme/idea/thesis) of the intention of any film. Said intention is then developed through the narrative, and the following complex intentions are then further expanded through all the following artistic and technical elements, from acting to set design to cinematography etc.. Which means that neither a plot makes sense without a film, nor a film without a plot. A film plot also not being a generic narrative, as it is already conceived as a part of a film (hence why any other work, theater, novel, short story, etc., needs to be adapted to become a screenplay).

What's good about it?

I'm so sorry.

Eisenstein
Vertov
Tarkovsky
Bondarchuk
German
Norstein
Sokurov
Balabanov
Yufit
Fedorchenko
Zvyagintsev
Balagov

I've enjoyed my time on Any Forums, but faggots like you have been ruining the site since at least 2014

Lol
Lmao

I hope you didn't get filtered /film/?

Attached: MV5BMTExZmVjY2ItYTAzYi00MDdlLWFlOWItNTJhMDRjMzQ5ZGY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIyOTEyMzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg (1000x1481, 134.86K)

I don't watch capeshit

leave

>Surely no user who calls others plotfag can give a reasoned answer to this question
Of course we can—the reasoning is beyond simple. There is nothing inherently filmic about plot. Film must be exploited for it's unique aspects, not what it has ransacked from theater.

based oldfag
been here since around '06 myself, still remember old Any Forums

I don't like some Lynch films but those I like I really like e.g. The Return

Are you implying that Mouchette doesn't have a plot? Why is it that many here shit on "plotfags", yet they very rarely even mention plotless films? At least Robert E. Fulton got posted about here for a while.

>reason my position
>get back empty platitude "There is nothing inherently filmic about plot."
case in point.