Which is the superior sci-fi horror flick?

Which is the superior sci-fi horror flick?

Attached: at.jpg (989x679, 172.6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8
youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmr17M-a4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Possession

Neither are really that scary desu. Probably The Thing though since the prescence of the Aliens has been diluted over the years due to the milking of the Alien franchise.

shut the fuck up faggot, you're literally saying "durrr I've seen these movies too many times so they're not scary anymore, so they're bad"

The Thing. It's not close. Have you watched either of these recently?

Alien is great, but The Thing is in its own league and can't be matched.

John Carpenter's masterpiece

Alright Any Forums, better question.
How do you make an alien that's different from those two?

One that is unfamiliar but believable as an animalistic organism in the environment it evolved in

I'll say Alien. I haven't seen The Thing in a long time, but I remember enjoying it. Alien, however, left me almost floored. It's incredible. For me, the cheesy special effects in The Thing always broke my immersion too much. The idea is more interesting though, and I could see it being as good as Alien if you can get past the special effects.
I don't know about "better" though, since Alien has such a rich setting and visual set design going on, and layered mysteries about Weyland-Yutani and the ship they find, whereas The Thing is always just "alien, a dog, and a few people in a handful of rooms in the snow" the entire way through.

Why don't they make good movie posters like this anymore?

The Thing no contest. Alien as a whole is a literal piece of shit despite some elements of high quality.

You are now aware that Ayylmao would be just as cheesy if Ridley used proper lighting effects rather than every scene with it being nearly pitch black. Carpenter never tried to hide his monsters except in the open.

>the cheesy special effects in The Thing
wut

Between the two I'd say Alien has the cheesiest with Ash which is almost a total complete disaster.

>every scene with it being nearly pitch black.
There may be something off with your copy or setup because I don't remember that being a problem. Ridley was notoriously anal about the lighting in this film.

Read The Three Body Problem

In all seriousness, I believe it is because putting lead actors' faces on the poster (1) satisfies contractual obligations with their agents, and (2) gets more people to watch the movie. Most people are, sadly, going to watch a film largely based off whether an actor they like is in it. They don't really care what it is about.
Also, you should check the trailers too:
Alien: youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8
The Thing (more typical, but surprisingly good for '82): youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmr17M-a4
So... he used lighting effects that heightened the effect of the film? Sounds like a pro to me. It definitely isn't egregiously dark overall though, IIRC. And the Alien intentionally ambushes.
wut
I think the special effects with Ash are excellent. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the two are incomparable.

Also most of the Alien setting was implemented in subsequent movies, games and comics, with the period between 1 and 2 being the fucking golden age of sci-fi expanded universe with star wars around the same time. Alien is good because it was original and remembered well, and on that merit alone it is well spoken of in film circles.

Not exactly the stark white contrast of the fucking arctic though is it. The only thing we ever get a proper look at in the light is the facehugger.

Oh yeah absolutely agreed but I just dont personally think Ridley was hiding anything or that anything was even hidden but I could be wrong about that. Despite my hatred for this film I hold both him and H.R. Giger in very high regard with production design among other things so cheesy isnt exactly the first thing I think of but like I said I think Ash was basically a disaster so they're far from immune.

I think I remember the dog kennel being pretty dark though for example.

>I think the special effects with Ash are excellent.
>roboto dance

The Thing has some of the best practical effects ever. The only cheesy part is the dummy flailing around after getting bit on the head.

Both films use flamethrowers during dark scenes incidentally. Difference being in The Thing it actually served a dramatic device rather than just attempting to coax suspense.