Zach Brapp actually made a pretty good film with Garden State. Was it emotionally manipulative or pseudo-deep...

Zach Brapp actually made a pretty good film with Garden State. Was it emotionally manipulative or pseudo-deep? You can say the same thing about dead poet society, or good will hunting. It did feel like he was trying to explore something meaningful with this one, and the cast was great. I'd say it was actually a solid 7/10, maybe 6.5.

Attached: terrible dvd art.jpg (350x500, 50.81K)

tl;dr

People say movie bad, but movie not so bad. Good actor. Director try hard.

>It did feel like he was trying to explore something meaningful with this one,
White man is sad. Magic female appears and fixes him. All the characters speak in the same voice. Soundtrack was kinda good. 4/10 would not watch again.

>White man
White people are good, though.
>All the characters speak in the same voice
Fair criticism and good point. I forgive it on that because it's pretty common, though. Most writers have trouble with that. On the other hand, I think some of it worked really well. The bit with the shirt matching the wallpaper worked for me. I liked how that juxtaposed against the mood of the scene.

what is this genre called?

Attached: landscape_movies_liberal_arts_poster.jpg (1600x800, 178.87K)

“Terrible”

the writing was mid

> he was trying to explore something meaningful.

Yes, Nat’s pants.

Captcha: HD4Kx

i'm not arguing the racism with you, just "white man with problems" is a one-hundred year old trope, even longer if you add in literature, so I do not care about this character or his shitty problems. There is nothing new to say in this movie.

To the rest of your point, sure. The direction was solid, the script was utterly generic.

mumblecore

I remember when Braff got shitter shattered when Gizmodo called it trash.

“Actor writes and directs a movie and it gets produced because the show he’s in is popular”

SSRIcore

this is why his career died later, he wrote this as a directing vehicle for himself, and while he probably made a good living directing TV afterwards, he eventually crowdfunded a second movie which bombed so hard he couldn't even pay back his investors.

So that's one reason to hate him. The other reason is he's nailing Florence Pugh.

Why is the trope "white man with problems?" Is there a trope of "Chinese man with problems" in literature written by Chinese guys about the experience of ennui? I'm not trying to press the issue just for the sake of pressing the issue, but I think you should consider the way that you project this negative connotation on whiteness as if it is a problem when white people do normal things that other people also do. A lot of people carry around these perceptions without realizing it. It's like how people are willing to say things like "this town/genre/style is too white" without thinking that they're expressing bigotry or racism. It's okay to be white. It's okay to be a white man. It's okay to be a white man who makes a film about a character who is also a white man.

This.

Okay, this is fair. Let me amend my earlier post: Rich White Guy Problems.

Brapp's character is incredibly well off, and in this plot trope he always meets some perfect manic pixie dream girl who fixes him. He's rich and his dad's a doctor, sorry your mom died dude, everyone's got problems.

>Is there a trope of "Chinese man with problems" in literature written by Chinese guys about the experience of ennui?
Yes

Attached: VCM001L01.jpg (226x411, 39.51K)

All emotions are relative. There's a threshold of pain/sadness/joy that someone can have. People without any physical or social hardships are still going to experience depression and unfulfillment. Maybe even in an exaggerated way. In fact, not having a lot to overcome can be depressing in itself. Makes things feel meaningless. Makes people project meaning onto meaningless things. I think that Zack is conscious of that to some extent in how he wrote the film.

>Okay, this is fair. Let me amend my earlier post: Rich White Guy Problems.
eat a bullet you dumb cocksucker.