Do languages affect how you think?

Do languages affect how you think?

Attached: c27.png (660x574, 89.26K)

Yes, you can switch into thinking in another language. You can dream in other languages.

Yes, that's why Finnish did so well in Pisa tests because our language is logical.

t. Finnish language advocates

To some extent, yes. For example, an interesting study was done in Mexico among Mestizos and Mayas. Children were shown a sequence of balls on a table, red blue and green, in that order from left to right. Then the children were moved to the opposite side of the table and told to put the balls in the same sequence. The Mestizo children put the balls in the order red blue green, from left to right. However, the Maya children instead ordered them green blue red, left to right. That's because in the Maya language, directions are based on objective spatial orientation (north, south, east, and west), not subjective orientation (left and right). Therefore, the Maya children ordered the balls with the red ball to the north and the green ball to the south, just as they had been ordered the first time, while the Spanish-speaking children ordered them with the red ball to their left and the green ball to their right.

Yes language is the framework of the conscious being there is no word for the concept of time in hopi languages, should fact check I might have made that claim only to pursue what we all strive for : spectacle

Words with the same meaning in different languages might have different nuances but people don't think in languages. There is something called mentalese.

yes. for example we are closer to our families because we have a seperate word for every single variation of "aunt" or "uncle"

Absolute consensus, thread is done.

Think ?

veto

Propositional attitudes are there without you being aware of them existing but when you want to describe them, you "use" language to bring them up to consciousness, not the other way round.

Sorry buddy there is a consensus. Do you know what 《 consensus 》 means, on an ontological perspective ?

You Litteraly have aphantasia

What languge should I learn ti raise my conscious to the maximum degree

Why am I the bad guy here? Are we discussing or fighting?

Attached: 2a0.jpg (600x344, 16.62K)

White fragility

(Old) Latin

Yes & no. Contained within a language is a culture, which is where the difference almost entirely lies. The linguistic properties of a language aren't separate from culture either, but for the most part not directly corresponding from it, more coincidental yet also interacting with it and changing.

Solid difference that clearly has an effect is the tendencies in how we say things and what words a language has. This would be more obvious pre-globalisation.

Languages act as bubbles for cultures, it's hard for cultures to level because languages block it. Translation and influence does level them to some extent, but mostly you are transferring one set of terms to another so while it is influencing, it's not outright overwriting.

This is false. Language isn't determinative like this. It's on top of the mind which is equipped with much independent of it or exchanging with it.

This kind of thinking led people to believe people in Homer's time couldn't see as many colours and we recently evolved the ability.

All whole human beings see in moreorless the same way. Including full colour. Languages roughly have two types of colourwords: specific and default/basic. Basic colourwords are essentially how many groupings of colour you, out of custom or need, communicate in your language. All colours are placed in one of these basic colourwords as they form categories. When a colour cannot, you can consider it a basic colourword as it is its own exclusive group. This is not necessarily like taking slices out of the colour spectrum as they can be grouped however the speakers see fit, but generally similar colours within a range. This doesn't mean you can't specify further, it just means those are your basic colour words, the simplified categories.

None of this has anything to do with what you see. Only how you communicate it, for whatever reason. Of course, how you communicate it can have its own implications, such as ambiguity or associated emotion that may have developed out of one object but been applied to object that gets described with that colourword. So it can have effects that are relevant for emotion, style, or meaning. But it doesn't change your eyes and brain.

Yes.
When I talk in Finnish I have an entirely different attitude than when I speak in English.
I find myself being more confrontational and hostile in English whereas in Finnish I am much more apathetic and go about my day minding my own business.

Probably because Finnish is your everyday life where you encounter no conflict and have to be face-to-face with people. English is your internet language where you are more willing to let loose (different interaction type), and you encounter extreme hostility and mental illness blown up and spread everywhere.