Anyone else unable to feel immersed in television/films lately?

Anyone else unable to feel immersed in television/films lately?

Not sure how to describe this. A lot of modern films and TV shows feel very simulated to me. Beyond all the reboots and re-used tropes Hollywood keeps recycling, most of the content doesn't feel realistic to me. A good portion of it seems pretty tryhard too, as in the film telling me "you are the viewer, these are the characters, this is the plot"

The lighting/filters seem way too controlled and overt, nothing in the cinematography is left to chance anymore either. I've lost interest in a lot of newer movies for this exact reason. It's like every single one nowadays is made on a manmade set, even the movies that take place in natural environments like cities and stuff. The actors seem to "actor" to me. They don't feel like real people, they just feel like their characters. Hollywood once had more creative and original ideas - now it just feels like a silly psychological experiment, mirrors reflecting mirrors reflecting mirrors and so on

Might sound contrarian, but it's just aggravating. Anyone else get what I'm saying? What's a good movie to move past this?

Attached: simulcra-and-simulation.png (504x348, 197.16K)

Read Manga. Boom problem solved

Bump

Attached: simulation.png (745x929, 633.23K)

All the nonwhite 'people' are what do it for me. Immersion destroyed, they wuz not peaceful wakanda n' sheeit.

Eh maybe. Still would prefer real characters and what not, but I guess.

You have any recommendations?

Attached: simulacrum.png (1624x1656, 1.02M)

sounds like burnout. Try some better films and see if you like them better, good directors know how to make things seem natural.
the long goodbye is a good one, altman has a sort of documentary style where the whole crew improvises, not only the actors, it makes for some really organic scenes

Pluto and Blame!

some more directors that tend to be more organic than controlling from the top of my head are herzog, malick, lee chang dong, wim wenders. But I get what you're saying, sopranos made everything else feel like theater acting for a while

Digital recording was a mistake

They lost all novelty so everything is boring

You're just getting too knowledgeable of how movies are made. You are starting to see the patterns and recognize the artifices. Find a new medium or smoke lots of weed if you want to feel like a child again. But honestly, all manmade mediums will start feeling contrived and artificial if you're at this stage. Go create your own unscripted experiences instead

Did you even read this book or a summary of it's point?

HAHAHAA
>fake experiences are unfulfilling so
>go fake-up experiences of your own

>go fake-up experiences of your own
No, go live your fucking life instead of consuming make believe stories written up by Jewish men who hate you

it's still fake experiences if you 'go out to get experiences'. it's still contrivance

No, I don't read any books. I just watch movies and TV. Why?

More real than Jewish propaganda you fag. I'm not saying to go to an amusement park and play pretend as a jedi. Step outside holy shit

The point of the book is that overtly fake experiences like movies trick you into thinking that other things are real. But things that happen to/you do outside of movies, are not real either they are also stories that you use to interpret meaningless empty signals. So I guess don't sweat it that one fake story doesn't feel like another fake story

>Go outside to get a look at the sky to fill your senses with stimulation
>there's nothing strained, striving or cope about this this

You just sound like someone desperately trying to justify being an asocial fag who spends all his time consuming media because you're afraid to go outside

because you are a trivial person who can only conceptualize different types of consumption, and nothing outside that. lmao

>Go create your own unscripted experiences instead
I hear this a lot, but most of this advice sounds like it's telling me to shut up and just be happy.

They also encourage me to buy new things I don't need, or convince me to market myself thru social media. This whole "become your true self" idea, "stop caring what people think" but really it's just trying to get me to participate. To market myself thru social media and all that
Has the internet gotten smaller?

"Just be satisfied with the Google/Youtube/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram websites bro. Who needs any other website bro"

Can our brains tell the difference at this point?

Yes, but that's the error being pointed out, since there is no difference.

This is literally the smartest thing I've ever read on Any Forums, and it describes exactly OP's problem.

Well, if people always self-insert and copy film/television/celebrities, who's really in control? Where are the desires coming from?
Is it me, or Hollywood?

that is to say when you larp or make believe that a thing in a movie or game is happening, e.g. feeling sad for a character or going ooh at the size of a space ship in a game, we know we are 'making believe' and larping. But the mistake is that makes us think we aren't larping as ourselves in our life, or making believe about what comes into our senses directly, both of which we are doing. As noticed by OP author, Sartre, kant, Buddha etc

A lot of modern movies very much feel very standardized in their plots and cinematography. Color filters feel way more apparent with digital and lighting setups feel way more basic and way more on the nose at the same time.

Don't really know why that is, maybe because movies need to be more basic to make more international money?

from hollywood given this choice, but you're problem is now you're going to grasp at how that confirms the story you want, that you're being manipulated deliberately, which whether it was is irrelevant because you'd still be getting desires from contact with the world if you lived in 8000BC

Something Hayao Miyazaki said explained this for me

People in the past drew from real life experiences they had that they had or a personal story that resembled reality somewhat. Modern directors/moviemakers don't draw from reality anymore. They take their references from other movies so everything is a copy of a copy and a derivative of a derivative. This isn't even limited to movies. Even games, music, people and social interactions have been diluted this way. There's no authenticity and just cynical focus group emulation.

I feel like this is why everything feels so "thin" nowadays. Also because we are straying farther from God.