Why does the first harry potter movie feel so different compared to the rest of the series?

why does the first harry potter movie feel so different compared to the rest of the series?

Attached: MV5BMzkyZGFlOWQtZjFlMi00N2YwLWE2OWQtYTgxY2NkNmM1NjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY1NTM1MzA@._V1_[1].jpg (1000x1481, 1.01M)

Richard Harris died.

>5972 train #
what did they mean by this

I think the second one has the same feel. But yes they all feel different after those two.

He was in the second one too sillypants

comfy childlike wonder only exists in first film
second one feels similar but does more spooky horror vibes
then it falls apart

I think its going to kill.

Kill?

The first couple movies work because the audience is discovering this new world at the same time Harry is. There's all sorts of unexpected things around each corner and Harry responds to them the way we would. Later on in the series the wizarding world is mostly old news to Harry and the only new reveals involve boring magical government bureaucracy.
And on a more technical note, I remember the Columbus films having a much warmer color palette. This, along with the main actors primarily wearing their school robes instead of street clothes, gives them a more nostalgic childhood feel.

There's also the fact that later films just assume you've read the books - characters turn up with no real introduction and expect you to care about them.

Because the first two movies are comfy / spooky adventures set in a cozy and wonderful new world.
Starting from movie three onwards the films start nosediving into heroic urban fantasy complete with the obligatory depressing grey filter.

The first three flicks had a distinctive feel or atmosphere. The first two are similar because Chris Columbus, then the third stands apart because Cuaron; after that they become very generic films.

because it was the first

It feels like a soulful family-friendly fantasy. Then they slowly morphed into dark brooding romance YA shit that is tied to that late 00s/early 10s moment and didn't age well.

/thread

They're all still kids in the first.

First two movies introduced you to a magical world(heh) and you as a viewer and Harry Potter experienced that first hand.
In the third movie and onwards everyone got older and there was no new magic left.

Chris Columbus was good. Change of director and Dumbledore ruined it.

Why favourite part was when hagrid molested ron and harry in the woods

>first two movies: magical wonderland, whimsy and imagination
>third movie: darker film about darker topics
>fourth movie: teen drama
>fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth movies: boring, soulless bores about wizard politics, all of them dark blue, lifeless, magic is stale

>wearing their school robes instead of street clothes
believe it or not in the books, these uniforms are not mentioned. The uniforms in the books are just a black "work robe", so i assume just a pull over long wizard robe like the adults wear but prob with some buttons and less baggy. they also wear pointy hats in the book

i like that so much better than the movies but i see why they did it in the movies. you can actually see the uniform change from the first two movies onward

The acting is bad