Does your language use different words for death of animals vs death of humans?

Does your language use different words for death of animals vs death of humans?

In Polish for a dead animal we say "zdechł" while for a dead human "umarł". You can use the animal word for humans but it's a very strong insult then (and on the other hand if you use the human word for animals you're considered one of these crazy leftists who make animals equal to humans)

Attached: pl.png (498x500, 15.38K)

German has different words for "eat" depending on if the eater is a person (essen) or an animal (fressen).

we kind of have this too ("jeść" vs "żreć"), even though the animal word is commonly used for humans who eat a lot, without manners

>if you use the human word for animals you're considered one of these crazy leftists who make animals equal to humans
Isn't it normal to say "zginął" when your pet dies?

>Isn't it normal to say "zginął" when your pet dies?

No, first of all "zginął" is another word which implies that someone died in an accident (or the cause of death was not natural) but it's mostly used for humans. Ofc if you have a strong bond with your pet and it is hit by car and dies you will probably say "zginął" too but again - you would probably use the "human" word for any other kind of death of your pet too.

No, but we do use Anglo-Saxon words for animals and Norman French words for meats.

only boomers and grammar nazis seethe about people saying "umarł" when talking about animals

>everyone who doesn't agree with my progressive leftist language changes is a boomer or a grammar nazi

Well you could say so. We use elpusztul or megdöglik for animals and meghal for humans usually, but they are interchangeable. Although saying that a human megdöglik or elpusztul is kinda rude.

I guess I live in a "progressive leftist" community then
feels good

Yes, the eating thing too, but is the norm now.

no, we treat animals the same word as for humans, we never call them "it"

>You can use the animal word for humans but it's a very strong insult then
Yeh same. It's ψόφησε/ψοφίμι for animals.
For humans there's words like θάνατος or even απεβίωσε which you'd never use for an animal.

Oh yeah, there's also polite and rude versions for animal death, nugaišo va nudvėsė, so I guess not all animals are equal. And you're supposed to use the same word for bees as for humans.

>the same word for bees as for humans
why bees?

>you're supposed to use the same word for bees as for humans.
means you used to worship bees, my pagan brother, those honey makers

Fuck me if I know. Bees are good I guess. The word for bee also shares the root with the word for a very good friend.

I suppose we have some different words for deaths of animals and humans but only in specific circumstances.
For example if you kill a sick animal/take your animal to the vet to be killed you might say it's been "put down".
If you said you "put down" a human it would be seen as an insult as you're saying that person is like an animal.

Likewise there are some religious terms for death that are typically only reserved for a human such as "reposed" and "passed away".

You've also got terms for the death of animals that you might only tell children. For example if a child is too young to understand death and an animal has died, a common thing a parent might say to the child is that the animal has "gone to the farm".

that's kind of cute tbqh

It is what it is. I guess there's still some cultural bee "worship" left. Stepped on one last summer, felt guilty for like a week. Wouldn't have given it second thought if it were some other bug.

Attached: ff3.gif (680x812, 234.98K)

you're talking about euphemisms for death i think every language has a lot of, but still the fact is that the basic word for death in English is the same disregarding whether it's death of a human or an animal, which is not the case in many other (maybe even most) languages

yes, an animal 'crkne' while a human 'umrè' or more formally 'izdihne'

jesti mean to eat but žreti means to stuff your mouth

izginil simply means 'disappeared'

we have this kind of worship about ladybugs in our culture, killing them is looked down upon and little children are warned by their mothers not to harm them, also we have a lot of saying involving them

ladybugs are seen very positively in our culture and that's why our biggest market chain is named "Ladybug"

I suppose you are right.
I just wanted to feel like I had something different to say because everyone on Any Forums already understands English well so we EFL's don't get to make cool threads about our language :'(

>so we EFL's don't get to make cool threads about our language :'(

there is actually a lot EFLs could contribute since most ESLs only know modern English and know rather little of history of English where many words had different meanings or connotations.

huh?

>Biedroneczko leć do nieba przynieś mi kawałek chleba

Yes, many lithuanians are very familiar with Biedronka. Funny name, sounds like slang for bucket.

>bucket

It's "wiadro" in Polish so not really similar

In english to call something road-kill refers to a dead animal on the side of the road. You could also use it to refer to a human in a very insulting manner.

When I stepped on a root of a tree I said "I'm sorry bro". It lives on.