What makes a movie monster's design "good" ?

What makes a movie monster's design "good" ?

Attached: 440180a14201e984df09d26134513c9d.jpg (480x360, 44.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7KInqNZOZSI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Jurassic Park and The Thing. No others

When they're scary but somehow sensual, like the xenomorphs

>t. Monsterfucker

Teeth.
They always have prominent teeth.

Recognizability, and usually scariness achieved through just looking dangerous and alien, or having horrifying implications.

I don't think sensual is the right word, but Giger just crammed as much sexual imagery as he could into most things related to Alien, and that creates a great generally disturbed feeling for most people, even if they don't recognize it. Evoking relatable feelings, such as "I don't want to get raped, thanks" for the xenomorph, and "Can I really trust anyone's outer shell?" for The Thing work wonders

Attached: file.png (895x893, 722.1K)

Some people need to know the art of limits (not limitation) you COULD create a monster with a mouth or you can choose to avoid adding things you know need to be there to create something visually interesting and different. I prefer my monsters to be detailed in concepts like the aliens detailed in Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials, using mythology, biology, and creature ideas from old science fiction books etc. To flesh out the lore of your creature.

based. The 2 or 3 second shot where Grant is holding the flare and the T. rex roars at him is surprisingly scary

Attached: rex.jpg (1045x664, 47.32K)

I'm gonna need a source on this monstrosity because it's making me giggle over breakfast

The Great Wall-2016

Not be seen in the shot if its a creature film.
Be a character in the others.

This is good design. It has elements of real animals like the crustacean eyes and crablike face, while the huge fat body clearly shows It's not of this earth. The face vagina adds sexual horror.

It looks like it evolved for a specific purpose, and isn't a reskinned human or dog like OP pic.

Attached: j68qzzwe65e41.png (1424x771, 1.51M)

This is bad monster design. It's a mishmash of body shapes that don't belong together. It's asymmetrical, because a version with all its limbs would be even uglier.

Instead of evolving for a purpose, it was designed to express a scifi concept, (adaptability) and it's difficult to imagine it living in any real environment. It requires lore to justify, the visual alone is worthless.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 115.01K)

No eyes. Teeth are cliche too, so some other type of gross ass mouth like something an invertebrate would have.

Design of the monster has nothing to do with how scary it is

It's the situation set between the person and the monster is what's scary

Actually movies aren't scary. OP utterly BTFO.

fucking retard

I think it must be tied to realistic biological morphology. If they eat, fight, fuck, have babies and shit like they're really real.

Monsters like in Pitch Black, the octopus in Deep Rising. The monster in Relic.

Attached: images - 2022-05-17T224552.191.jpg (739x415, 33.87K)

I hate the creature design in Avatar. And their sound design too. It's so basic, it's supposed to be alien yet it's so familiar.
Which doesn't mean that simple ideas for monsters have to be bad. The most famous movie monsters are very often based on what we know.

There can be magical elements like the bear in annihilation, they just have to make some degree of sense.

Looks like something made in Spore

Uncanny valley or primal fear monsters are the best.

Attached: 8001269761_47cf69f5a8_b.jpg (683x1024, 248.07K)

Believability that it could exist

Attached: monster.webm (1280x720, 2.83M)

>It's so basic
Life tends to do that to minimize the amount of energy it needs to spend.

God cloverfield is still so good

This, inhuman movement is key. People have a psychological aversion to creepy crawly things.

Doesnt that monster need whiskers or something similar to cats? When the eyes are on the shoulders and the snout is that long and big, theres a huge blind spot directly in front of it.

Attached: 1504637624328.png (364x271, 55.68K)

Unlike the other sequel, where it's the size of mount Everest

Attached: re4fewr4.webm (917x382, 2.71M)

I don't think that's what he meant. Your pic looks like a panther and a human with some frills attached.

Men only want one thing and it's disgusting.

Attached: 1648809866870.gif (500x208, 1.92M)

It's something that looks like a product of the evolution on Earth.

If it's disgusting then why do I have a massive erection?

Attached: nice.webm (960x400, 2.96M)

The way it expresses intelligence.

I always thought it was just a giant tick

Animals can look really weird in real life, sea animals especially like coral. Believability therefore only comes down to creating a monster first, then figuring out how to give it some cool details on how this design could feasibly exist in reality.

Every single giant land monster on Earth is automatically unrealistic because theres a limit to how big a creature here can grow before gravity becomes a problem. Blue whale is the absolute top limit and only in sea where the water supports the creatures weight. When a blue whale accidentally lands on a shore, its own immense weight crushes its own innards to a bloody pulp, it simply weighs too much to exist on land.

Attached: 678469568.gif (500x329, 499.8K)

Not my pic, but there is a lot of convergent evolution out there. Why would it be wrong that in an alien jungle a lot like ours a predator wouldn't take on a panther like design to blend in better against the darkness? "Panthers" exist in Africa as well but are leopards as opposed to jaguars. Shark, dolphins and ichthyosaurs took on similar forms. You'd be surprised how natural pressures can create similar forms.
Well it's on a planet with Earth like conditions outside of the atmosphere being unbreathable for Earth life.

Except you can tell the function is nothing like a tick because it's too big, face too intelligent, and has no jaws. That said,
a tick at 100x magnification would be pretty good monster design, it's not something most people see everyday

Why not just set the movie on earth then? It's cheap and not very creative.

I guess this is television and film now. Shit is horrifying.
youtube.com/watch?v=7KInqNZOZSI

Attached: 1642591522357.jpg (1122x1080, 59.66K)

Attached: 1596416334596.webm (853x480, 1.81M)