Is it possible for a source material to be ripped off so often and still be able to stand on it's own as a film?

Is it possible for a source material to be ripped off so often and still be able to stand on it's own as a film?
>inb4 autistic /lit/fags cry and piss themselves over a thread about a famous book
Woah, user. I didn't know we can't talk about a book because it's too popular! Damn, thank you for telling us your opinion no one asked for but you gave anyways. You could have just ignored a thread you don't like but you're to important for that. You're the greatest, most smartest user on this board and everyone's going to love your novel when you actually write it! I bet your AP English teacher is so proud of you!

Attached: 51TMmMNtZiL._AC_SY780_.jpg (333x500, 58.72K)

>Is it possible for a source material to be ripped off so often and still be able to stand on it's own as a film?
No, unfortunately. Besides Neuromancer became way too outdated.

The dialogue is pretty great though. The banter between the characters is the highlight of the whole thing

>The banter is the highlight
Maybe for you - and if that really is the case, you could easily adapt the whole thing as an amateur movie even.

But most people enjoyed the then-fresh cyberpunk concepts, and to depict those on screen, you'd need strong visuals.

Snow Crash > Neuromancer

Attached: 1652778388509.jpg (567x918, 176.71K)

First book I couldn't get through. I tried 4 times. I'd get 60-80 pages in then stop.

Snow crash is gay

Normies will not acknowledge it because theyre too brain dead to realize the impact of a book. Just like the american psycho thing nowadays, where they piss and shart because the movie was shot by a woman and apparently that shows the incels. Ecen though the book was wriiten by man

TL;DR neuromancer is cool but i'm not reading a paragraph's worth of your shadow boxing. bye!

Attached: 1649293258493.jpg (800x450, 30.23K)

i read whole Schismatrix once and didn't understand shit, lol

>t. butthurt lolbertarian

I stole the book from my father and read it when I was 14. Loved it a lot, but all the deeper meanings where lost on me, which I think made it cooler in my mind.

also I jerked off to the woman who becomes a planet and grows pussies on furniture for visitors to fuck

lmao, i dont remember this, or i skipped pages? fuuck, i was around 15-16 then

The actual plot of Neuromancer hasn't been ripped off that much at all (the basic gist is it's a heist, but the guy orchestrating the heist is an AI who wants to free itself from the confines of the corporation who owns it). Even the universe depicted in these books hasn't been ripped off that much. Everyone just rips off the opening chapters in the dark urban environments.
That said, Neuromancer has some pretty dumb bullshit in it, like the space Rastas.

it's Kitsune, the GMO geisha pulling the strings of the zaibatsu, towards the end of the book she deliberately mutates in a whole ecosystem (that is entirely compromised of her body) encompassing a planetoid. Yeah, she grows pussies on furniture (which is also made of herself) for visitors to fuck, and she keeps the DNA of the people she finds interesting/valuable. lol I can see why my father didn't want me to read this book

interesting, reading it now maybe i would appreciate it more, good steal user

>Neuromancer
>ripped off so often
William Gibson was ripping off Heavy Metal comics amongst other things. He didn't invent the genre.

i liked some short stories about Shapers/Mechanists but book was tough

Cyberpunk, on the whole, doesn't hold up. If Blade Runner and anime hadn't created a cool aesthetic for it no one would care about it. Snow Crash works the best because Stephenson actually had an understanding of how virtual worlds would work, but I wish less of the book was about Hiro researching linguistics. I get it Neil, you're the smartest guy in the room.

>Cyberpunk doesn't hold up
Yeah, it's corny to say, but its vision of the future is no longer a vision but banal reality and its aesthetics have become commercial and flanderized (which I guess is fitting and ironic). I also love Snow Crash because it's much more successful as a satire and it's genuinely funny a times, like the opening pages (really good bait & switch) and all the parts about the feds are golden.
I genuinely don't know which direction sf and genre fiction in general is supposed to go now. So much of it is written like a screenplay, truly the consequences of "Show, don't Tell" have been devastating.

I don't think I've ever felt compelled to read new sci-fi. Everything I read is from before the 90's, pretty much.

I felt like it was what happened with Valérian