Why did he call them savages?

Why did he call them savages?

Attached: 1652729671894.webm (1280x640, 2.92M)

I wish my dad would tell me I have a heart of cold iron

Spoonfeeding the etymology of “slav” to the A24 crowd (impossible feat)

That wasn't his dad

Some user explained that savages were what the Vikings called people that didn't believe in their gods. It's like their way of saying heathen.
So... it was their way of explaining why it was okay to kill and loot them.

Attached: 20210818_015349.jpg (475x594, 102K)

You mean like Christians?

might be this

>Christians

Do you mean Catholics? I think they're the ones who converted by the sword. I don't know enough about history to say with certainty.

>heathen
they share indo-european faith, even romans realised that connection between gods.

Attached: Lionel_Royer_Germanicus_devant_les_restes_des_légions_de_Varus.jpg (2601x1819, 2.66M)

>they

You mean the Vikings and Slavs? Christians are treated poorly in the movie. There's one or two on the farm working as slaves and Fjolnir's son hates them.
I don't think the Vikings agreed with you.

Vikings treated all slaves horribly, even nordic ones. If you think of it as caste systems the slaves were on the "untouchable" level.
And the slavs were not christian.

That’s not true. Vikings never used the word savage. The word is not even Norse in origin.

> Savage: mid-13c. (late 12c. as a surname), of animals, "ferocious;" c. 1300, "wild, undomesticated, untamed," also "wild, uncultivated" (of land or places), from Old French sauvage, salvage "wild, savage, untamed, strange, pagan," from Late Latin salvaticus, alteration (vowel assimilation) of silvaticus "wild, woodland," literally "of the woods," from silva "forest, grove" (see sylvan).

I doubt the Vikings spoke English either, dood. They must have had a word for it, even if it wasn't savage. I bet the actual word was more offensive - like the N word but for Slavs.

Did the director watch "Hard to be a God" of Aleksey German?
Looks very similar.

that guy is wearing modern day underwear for some reason?

The word “savage” didn’t appear until the 13th century, so even the Anglo-Saxon Christian wouldn’t have used the word ‘savage’ against Vikings. The derogatory word Christians preferred to use against Vikings by the 10th century was simply heathens or “barbarians.”

> “The barbarians made peace treacherously, being in the same frame of mind as before, hostages were given more than were asked, and the leaders promised King Alfred to withdraw from the jurisdiction of his boundaries….So in [the course] of that year [878] that very foul people broke the agreement made under strong oath with the West Saxons.” - Ethelward, from a 10th century chronicle

Is this film in English or in some scandi language

I was thinking what's with all the screaming and farting, then found out it's by the Lighthouse guy

Bros is it worth watching Rome tv series?

its ok

>they share indo-european faith, even romans realised that connection between gods.
This reminds me of that bath scene in season 2 of ‘Britannia’.