Cedilla hate thread

This ugly diacritic mark doesn't get enough hate it deserves. Seriously, what is this ugly hook even supposed to be? It lacks both the simplicity of accute accent and the elegance of caron. If it was up to me, I would subjugate every nation whose language uses this abominable diacritic mark and force them to change those letters for something more reasonable. "Français"? No, you speak "Fransais" now.
You have "çeşme" in your town square? No, dear, you have "češme".
Also, who the hell knows how to spell or pronounce "Curaçao"? World would be much more comfortable place with "Curasao" instead.

Attached: no_to_cedillas.png (357x355, 6.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_(Cyrillic)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhe_(Cyrillic)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's unnecessary in some of the languages that use it, but I don't dislike the letter.
I use the Cyrillic equivalent which is for the th-sound (voiceless): Ҫaй, Ҫим, Ҫpи
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_(Cyrillic)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhe_(Cyrillic)
And bottom-diacritics are generally underrated. Orthographies like Czech are too top-heavy with all their above-diacritics.

Ontei tomei uma deliciosa cachaça, numa bela taça, produzida nos açudes, acompanhado de minha namorada, que sempre me abraça. Quando terminamos, ela disse "faz uma canção pra mim, amor", mas como estava bêbado e burro, depois de tomar muita manguaça, eu disse à ela: "Você que o faça!"

There are three kuh sounds in the latin alphabet, c,k, and q, and not once did they think about repurposing one for a different sound...this really activates my almonds.

It's literally a wannabe lowercase sigma at the end of words, smdh.

Şuomi

Çuomi

Espaņa

sometimes c makes the same sound as s, depending on the word (at least in spanish)

Yeah and sometimes a th sound too like in cinco or cuidad.

"c" used to always represent the k-sound, but it changed when preceding front vowels. I'm not sure the history behind the letter k (think it was brought over from Greek), but Qq used to represent a different sound and still does in some languages. Try making a k-sound but with the back of your tongue against your soft palette. That's the /q/ sound.

That's only in Spain.

I think kalendae was the only latinx word with k

I'm aware of Qoph, question is, do you have any word in English that is not a loanword that uses the the voiceless uvular plosive?

It has been repurposed to some degree. A lot of languages use "c" for something else than k: like ts, ch, j, ð, etc.

One out of two, great cob! you must be exhausted, let me get you a cair.

In my pronunciation it occurs as an allophone of /k/ in the /kl/ consonant cluster (like clock), but that's about it.
I personally think English keyboards should replace Qq with Þþ and use þat letter again.

Cl sounds nothing like Q in semitic languages. You literally have to make a sound like your choking on something. Its still used for some loanwords and we water it down quite bit, when arabs say it, they sound like they're blowing someone. As for, Þ, its supposed to be used for th like in thorn, and Ð ð is for th like in the

In English, Þþ and Ðð were used interchangeably for /θ/ or its allophone /ð/; now they're not allophonic but separate letters aren't needed. If we needed a written distinction between the two in digraphs then we'd do what languages like Albanian, Swahili, and Cornish do: th/dh.

>but separate letters aren't needed
Hows someone new to the language supposed to know when its voiced or voiceless? Þ,ð should be reintroduced into the language imo, its saves you a character over th/dh and reconnects the language to its germanic roots.

If you remove it from French you lose consistency between words like ce, cela, ça etc.

It's just about re-introducing a letter to replace a digraph, not a full-on orthographic reform. Besides, the voicing of th doesn't make too much a difference and you can still be understood. Except in words like thigh/thy, mouth/mouthe, teeth/teethe; but spelling would make up for that.
And there're some words like "with" where the th is pronounced voiced in some dialects, and voiceless in others.

>It's just about re-introducing a letter to replace a digraph, not a full-on orthographic reform.
If you can have three different k sounds despite not even using the original phonemes they were meant for you can ditch two of them and get two useful ones, and two new letters is hardly more significant than one.
>And there're some words like "with" where the th is pronounced voiced in some dialects, and voiceless in others.
If I copied and pasted a post written by a britflag would you be able to tell if they're voicing the th or not? The entire point of a standard form of a language is to ensure everyone understands whats being talked about regardless of their dialect. Th in with is unvoiced in standard english, no one is going to assume the fringe case over the norm and spell it with Ð.