Does english need an overhaul?

why is the "oo" in food pronounded different than in foot? should we have our own accented vowels to reflect all the multiple and retarded ways our vowels are pronounced?
for example:
>food
food
>fųt
foot
>tūl
tool

or should ESLs just keep getting eternally BTFO?

For me personally, it's the latter

Attached: 234828283.jpg (512x468, 19.18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

historyofenglishpodcast.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why do anglos think they are the only ones who can distinguish between long and short vowels?

only a problem from ESLcels

should we just adopt the IPA and be done with it?

as for your cuntish remark, having a largely non phonetic language is the reason why there's so many illiterate EFLoids. I for one like english the way it is.

though rhymes with toe
tough rhymes with cuff
cough rhymes with off
hiccough rhymes with up
plough rhymes with cow
through rhymes with blue
lough rhymes with loch
borough rhymes with thorough
hough rhymes with hock

sneed rhymes with feed
chuck rhymes with

yuck?

>lough
>hough
i have never even heard of these

francais poisoned the anglo tongue.

also does it make frenchies seethe hearing their words so beautifully improved on since english adoption? negation = negayshon, and so on.

Lough is just Irish Gaelic for loch, which itself is from Scottish Gaelic. Loch Ness, Lough Neagh...

The only way English spelling could be fixed is by readopting the spellings of Old English.

No.
You idiots only really started standardizing the language in response to us which is mad but when in Rome which you're not. Go back to using an f instead of an s for no reason.

Attached: 1657054352563.png (1000x871, 407.9K)

We don't need diacritics; we just need to spell everything consistently. For example:
>though
tho
>tough
tuff
>cough
coff
>hiccough
hiccup (this is already an acceptable variant spelling)
>plough
plow (again, already used)
>though
throu
>lough
lokh
>borough
burro
>hough
hock

That would just make things worse.

a very sensible solution

Attached: old alphabet.jpg (535x574, 49.39K)

all the words ending in -ough are germanic though
the gh used to be pronounced /x/ or as german ch but it shifted to an f sound and or fell away completely. Before it became fixed on one they were often used flexibly though so daughter was pronounced daufter sometimes

wat

Attached: 3328482.png (225x224, 6.63K)

that's actually interesting. thank you for sharing that

if you're interested in linguistics and especially the history of the English language I can recommend the history of English podcast. It basically starts from the days of PIE and goes into great detail of how English developed throughout history.

ok sure ill give it a listen after i wake up. is that what the podcast is called?

yeah
>historyofenglishpodcast.com

bookmarked cheers goodnight