China's academia is collapsing

China's academia is collapsing.

This is what years of 上有政策,下有对策 breeds.

Unfortunately it probably means conferences such as neurips and icml will have to implement more strict criteria instead of relying on the honor system, to the inconvenience of everyone else. The incentive is all messed up, where publication is not seen as sharing scientific knowledge, but a stepping stone for a promotion at work.

Attached: file.png (1241x716, 124.69K)

Yeah, for all their merits China has brought essentially no innovation to the world in the past century, which is just astonishing considering how many people live there. Terrible culture.

There's a lot of shady shit going on with ML papers from China. They'll only cite other Chinese paper and lots of the source code URLs just link to empty repos with a single readme stating that the code will be available soon (i.e. never)

What a farce. What do the actual scientists do, get picked up by some real nation?

It's over.

Attached: xi pancake.jpg (640x360, 58.65K)

Is this written in fucking English?
It’s painful to grasp meaning from whatever this is, it’s like a direct translation from another language

>reddit
>all that text
Yeah, not gonna read it lil guy.

Attached: 1655811082463.gif (590x540, 290K)

the guy who made the reddit post is ESL obviously

>grasp meaning

That term was funkier than anything in OP's post.

What is this?

“grasp meaning” is pretty natural English to me
I guess the post just has terrible flow to it, making it difficult to read

It really depends on the field. China still puts out some decent cryptography research, and they always have rhyming author names like Shao & Cao, Weng & Deng, etc

>academia

circle jerking for rich nerds, literally nobody cares outside of college

That says more about the average person than it does the educated.

Jamal, Grasp meaning makes perfect sense.

I get you're still learning Swedish but at least try

Terrible use of the English language.

Not the same Swede but the anglos are right. Jobba på din engelska, "grasp meaning" betyder i det här fallet tyda mening

>reddit

Academia is unironically going to be completely unredeemable/dysfunctional once the core of mostly older Westerners who care about science and integrity die off or are kicked out by the woke mob, as they already have been to some extent. I wonder if independent work will become more relevant, maybe with academia walling itself off. Like with publishing and fine arts.

this

Science will grow stronger.

>in the past century
more like 1000 years

>I wonder if independent work will become more relevant, maybe with academia walling itself off. Like with publishing and fine arts.
Hopefully it does.

lmao you obviously have no business in academia
t. actually in academia