Is it compulsory that you learn Latin when you're young in your country? If not Latin...

Is it compulsory that you learn Latin when you're young in your country? If not Latin, did you have to study any languages from antiquity such as Greek?

Attached: nononononononononononono.jpg (196x293, 6.07K)

No
But I learned a little bit later on as an archaeologist

People have to study old Japanese and classic Chinese here.
Don't you guys in the US also study early English literature and Latin?

Only people that are too religious learn it

Many schools require students to take like 10 lessons of Latin, it's pathetic how little it is.

I know someone who teaches Italian and he said Italian high schoolers are better at Latin than Danish Latin teachers.

Brazilians barely learn Portuguese, let alone classical languages

I took Medieval Latin in college.
Everyone studying humanities should know Latin, German and French.

I dont have motivation to study Latinx

what does 10 lessons equate to over time? 10 classes, or 10 semesters/quarters throughout their education?

Si, in schola omnes obligantur ad 5 annos linguae Latinae

10 lessons of 90 minutes.

latin not having yes/no as we know it always weirded me out

Attached: DVsQ9xNXkAEAHcY.jpg (900x1200, 232.02K)

10 lessons
ie you go to the classroom and listen to the teacher until time is up
repeat x9

why modern languages are less complex than their ancient respective

I have a german friend who learnt Latin for years at high school but he can't read any latin text

I'm learning Latin rn

Same here
Been learning for 2 days now

eh 6 months

thank you.
well wishes

we do 5 years of latin in high school, certain people (who attend a "classical liceum") also do 5 years of ancient Greek (don't remember what dialect). I remember Latin, Greek not so much.

that's pretty normal t b h, the way they usually teach latin in schools (at least in Italy) is aimed more torwards translating with dictionary in hand rather than be able to have conversations or read and comprehend immediately

are you kidding, kids can barely get through basic spanish. it's insane how far the standards of education has fallen.

>has
*have, lol

Modern Finnish is the most complex it's ever been THOUGH.

Yeah that's what he told me
I told him I wanted to learn Latin to read Caesar and Cicero and he laughed at me and told me that it takes forever like 1 page a day and that it's a pain constantly referencing a dictionary
Based
Remove all language education classes in school

I hade Latin from grade 7-13, absolute waste of time

All modern languages are more complex than their ancestors in vocabulary and register-manipulating