English Spelling Reform

I am well aware of how many times this has been attempted and these attempts at spelling reform are often just a near 1:1 correspondence with IPA transcription.
This type of approach makes the orthography look unwieldy, and the relation between words are often obscured as these systems do not take the Great Vowel Shift into account.
For example, "nation" and "national" are spelt similarly in English but are often appear very different in many reformed schemes due to the vowels being pronounced differently.

By using diacritics, my system is designed to preserve the relation between words have similar meaning and spelling but are pronounced differently, and also represent the differences between such words.
Take this excerpt from Wikipedia for example:
>Iceland (Icelandic: Ísland) is a Nordic island country in the North Atlantic Ocean and the most sparsely populated country in Europe.
Using the table provided, the above sentence becomes:
>Ísland (Íslandik: Ísland) iz a Nordik íland kuntré in ðé Norþ Atlantik Óscéan and ðé móst sparslé popúláted kuntré in Úróp.
Schwas /ə/ are not represented as a distinct phoneme but as an allophone of vowels in de-stressed environments.
Therefore, Ocean is spelt as Óscéan to contrast with Óscéanik (Oceanic) in which the éa is stressed, and unstressed Úróp (Europe) contrasts with stressed Uró (Euro).

If you're using a UK keyboard, hold Alt Gr to type vowels with the accute accent áéíóú.

Attached: orthography_reform_table.png (899x725, 46.13K)

Hópfulé Í kan sumon ðé Swédisc otist.

It can't happen, English language is too widespread and decentralized.
What entity has the power to adopt a spelling reform? One doesn't exist, and there's no way to make one that would get worldwide acceptance, which is necessary since English is a worldwide language.

Ðár's a lot of þings pépel doo éven if ðá nó ðat it wón't mák an impakt on ðé world. Ðis iz just wun of ðem.

much better than pseudochinese written english, this reform should unironically happen

What do you mean by "pseudochinese"? Are you referring specifically to the occasional arbitrary spelling, or the non-phonetic nature of English being a compromise between different dialects?
Wot doo ú mén by "pseudochinese"? Ar ú refering spesifiklé too ðé okázjonalé arbitráré speling, or ðé non-fónetik nácir of Inglisc béing a komprómíz betwén diferent díalekts?

It's a better spelling reform than most others I've seen - logical and not too elaborate, wouldn't require much time to relearn how to spell.

ð looks really ugly at the beginning of words though, I wish the letter looked different.

Your reform has too many letters.
For instance, þ and ð are barely different, there's no reason to have two different letters.

I can accept the merging of ð and þ, with the only minimal pair I can think of being "thigh" and "thy". What other letters would you consider to be redundant?
Í kan aksept ðé merjing of ð and þ, wiþ ðé ónlé minimal pár Í kan þink of béing "þí" and "ðí". Wot uðer letirs wood ú konsider too bé redundant?

>For instance, þ and ð are barely different, there's no reason to have two different letters.
Well, they are two different sounds, it makes sense to have two different letters.
I would just replace it with đ instead, it looks better to me. Keep Đ for capital letters though.

Tipiklé ðéz luk horibul. Ðis iz nou eksepscon.

Tipiklé ðéz look horibel. Ðis iz nó eksepscon.*
I'm tempted to just replace "-el" ("-le" in the current spelling) with "-l", given how "horrible" becomes "horribly".
Í'm tempted too just replás "-el" ("-le" in ðé kurent speling) wiþ "-l", given hou "horibl" békums "horiblé".

Looks cool

protip
use a different alphabet other than latin, so it doesnt look funny to people who already know english

Attached: IMG_20220622_225700.jpg (1044x1771, 416.51K)

>I would just replace it with đ instead
đ looks a lot like ð already, I know they're not the same letter but it could be used as a variant, especially considering đ is sometimes used to transcribe /ð/ in IPA.
đ looks a lot lík ð olredé, Í nó ðá'r not ðé sám letir but it kood bé úzed az a váréant, espescalé konsidiring đ iz sumtíms úzed too transkríb /ð/ in ÍPÁ.

i like this thread.
What about the difference in pronunciation in the word 'use' depending on whether it is a noun or verb?

>it's nó ús (it's no use)
>dón't úz it (don't use it)

>using both þ and ð when they hardly contrast
>s and z but then sc and zj
>wh is similar to w but ch has nothing to do with c

>>s and z but then sc and zj
is the voiced version of in the same way that is the voiced version of .
iz ðé voised verzjon of in ðé sám wá ðat iz ðé voised verzjon of .
>>wh is similar to w but ch has nothing to do with c
/ʍ/ and /x/ are effectively non-standard phonemes in English and are only used to represent historical differences that some speakers may still preserve, the spelling reflects that.
/ʍ/ and /x/ ar efektivlé non-standard fónéms in Inglisc and ar ónlé úzed too reprézent historikl difrenses ðat sum spékirs má stil préserve, ðé speling reflekts ðat.

You should start typing all your Any Forums posts using this alphabet, maybe it will catch on

Then I will only be known as that user who posts in his autistic orthography.
Ðen Í wil ónlé bé nón as ðát user hoo pósts in his otistik orþografé.