In English we call these people Welsh. But in ancient times Germans called the Romans "Welsh"...

In English we call these people Welsh. But in ancient times Germans called the Romans "Welsh". Even today Polish people still call Italians Włosi. So who are the real Welsh?

Attached: walesitaly.png (1500x1000, 165.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hgov-FdPdeU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am WELSH

Even the Austrians used the term "Welschtirol" for the Italian-speaking part of Tyrol (Trent)

I am not welsh

youtu.be/hgov-FdPdeU
Here's a comprehensive video about the topic with English subs. It's very cool :)

the plot thickens

Wales

Attached: Screenshot_20220614_171533.jpg (1080x1125, 230.41K)

We call them Gallois (like Gaulois, Gauls) and Wales is called Pays de Galle (like Gaule, Gaul)
WE are the real WELSH

Welsh derives from a Germanic term meaning 'foreigner', so originally, any non-Germanic people would be Welsh but the meaning changed over time to mean the descendants of Celtic Britons living in Wales.

the german names for Brescia and Verona are respectively "Welsch-brixen" and "Welsch-bern"
I think it's what all Germans used to call Romance people (or Romanized, as the Brythonic people living in Wales were), and the name stuck.
It's related to the word Wallachia for a region of Romania (a romance-speaking region), and probably a whole other bunch of things I don't know

We also call Wales "Galles"

Are welsh people different genetically or phenotypically compared to the rest of the UK?

google irish people and then google frisian people.

I just started the video but I agree this is a really good video. The maps and simple explanations are very helpful.

Attached: 3n0eiiomue391.png (834x834, 289.07K)

They're called cumrag

Us Slovenes traditionally call the Italians Lahi.

No. The differences between the Britons and the Anglosaxons were cultural, not genetic.

I am a Samnite

risi

me too

No. They don't speak a different language either whatever they tell you.

Black and red hair is more common there, as is olive skin
Otherwise I think they mostly look the same as us, maybe a bit beefier and taller tbqh

Wales got absorbed into England 500 years ago.

>maybe a bit beefier and taller tbqh
Aren't Welsh people supposed to be overall shorter than Anglos?

It comes from walhaz or something like this
Germanic word meaning foreigner, then extended to celts and romance speakers
You find it in Gaul (unrelated to Gallia), Wallon, Walach, Vlach, etc and of course, Welsh

Idk all of my Welsh cousins are huge rugby players so I suppose that might skew my perception of them a bit