What the fuck is Beorn? it is never explained in the books

what the fuck is Beorn? it is never explained in the books
and why did they make him a beaver in th movies?

Attached: 1280px-Persbrandt_as_Beorn_in_Jackson's_Hobbit.jpg (1280x1372, 176.94K)

What the fuck is with the influx of Tolkien threads in the past half hour?

He's a werebear. A man who has the ability to turn into a bear.

/thread

he's a shapeshifter, sort of were-bear.
Probably a bit of joke - Old English hero Beowulf, name means "bee-hound", aka Bear. So Tolkien is sort of writing Beowulf into the Hobbit. Sort of. Maybe.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case actually.

Beorning

>hehe people always make the werewolf guy kinda handsome so let's go 10 miles out of our way to make him look as deformed as possible
This is abysmally awful

I think it's the dumb hairdo

I was expecting him to look more like this

Attached: Beorn1.jpg (1240x1019, 357.83K)

if he can turn into a bear why does he look like a rodent

Because Peter Jackson read the book backwards while high on meth.

I think that is how he should look, and was described but it's been awhile since I read it.

There's some association with berserkers being shapeshifters in the icelandic sagas which is what I think inspired Beorn. It's dropped in the text pretty nonchalantly like going through genealogy and just "Eric who lived south of the river and was a strong warrior and part of jarl Karl's retinue. He had two sons and a daughter and was also a shapeshifter, he died of sickness and his son in law floki took over his farm". For the name Bjorn means bear in plenty of languages, and Beorn is the old English transliteration, but it's all connected.

>Probably a bit of joke
How is that in any way funny?

Tolkien was a devout catholic, some of his characters and scenes mimics those of the gospels. Beorn is inspired by John The Baptist: he's dressed with a wool tunic, has long hairs and a beard, he lives as a hermit and he's in tune with the Nature, and like The Baptist he eats wild honey; they both live in peace but Beorn can be a fierce warrior if it's for a good cause.
He gives to Bilbo and the company cookies to eat during the journey, it's a parallel with the wafers given in the communion ritual.

why they went with Cats david bowie instead burlier, hairier guy idk. Even x-men got it right 20 year ago

Attached: 1637459526768.png (300x450, 201.3K)

I'm told one should never explain a joke

>Husbandry in the front, mauling in the back.

They should have used Dave Grohl.

he literally explains it, he said his people lived in the mountains before the dwarves they were skin-changers protectors of the forests

Attached: 1640131880961.jpg (1280x1070, 54.96K)

>were-x to mean man who transforms into x
tolkien would absolutely fucking cringe at this linguistic abortion
more appropriately, he is a berserker, which means "bear-shirt" in old english. Bear Serker. Bear Serkr (coat).

they really turned him into a mr tumnus looking nigga

He hates jew- I mean, dwarves

Here's the exact quote of his description. I have the book on my desk at all times, great read.

>Soon they reached a courtyard, three walls of which were formed by the wooden house and its two long wings.
>In the middle there was lying a great oak-trunk with many lopped branches beside it.
>Standing near was a huge man with a thick black beard and hair, and great bare arms and legs with knotted muscles.
>He was clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and was leaning on a large axe.
>The horses were standing by him with their noses at his shoulder.

(Apologies if the formatting is wrong, still figuring out Any Forums.)

This is pretty much exactly correct. The tunic is a bit short, that's all.