What exactly makes Daniel Plainview evil? I watched the entire movie and yeah he has some bad moments...

What exactly makes Daniel Plainview evil? I watched the entire movie and yeah he has some bad moments, but he's honestly not worse than half the people walking down the street. At least he's a good father, gives the town money to spend on their dumb shit, and takes care of his guys.

Attached: oEGQMtbaCTVhvo7 MV5BNDUzODIxMzUtNTA4My00MDRlLWE3ODctNDMzMjBhNWQwZDg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1__large.jpg (1280x853, 65.34K)

not pure evil, just pure American

Attached: 94FF5CDE-6BC6-4420-99BB-657B04B50A23.jpg (1024x1024, 131.39K)

He stole from a poor family and didn't give them back their money. He quite literally murdered two people. He told his adopted son that he was just a bastard. Easily the most evil character in the film.

>he's a good father,
lol what

>What exactly makes Daniel Plainview evil?
Does he have to be "evil"? Is this something you are looking for? He's just a man. He has his issues and problems like anyone else. Not any more "evil" than your average ambitious person who has to deal with the people around them.

Evil? Or human? Greed can take any man.

he isnt evil or good, he is just the personification of capitalism, unrestrained by anything else

OP had no father at all and sees this as an improvement.

>He stole from a poor family and didn't give them back their money.
I don't remember this.
>He quite literally murdered two people.
Both of them wronged him in unnatural ways that could easily be seen as unforgivable. If you weren't standing up cheering at the end...idk.
>He told his adopted son that he was just a bastard.
He was angry and it wasn't a good thing to do but the kid was literally a bastard. That's why he adopted him in the first place. Because he was an evil son o- oh wait.
>Easily the most evil character in the film.
Definitely not even close to convinced.

more or less was until he went deaf. Then was terrible.

I don't think he cared much about the money. It was about winning. It was about conquering. It was about being the best and smartest at something. Call it greed if you like.

Hollywood hates a hard-working sigma on his grind.

He's a malignant narcissist with an insatiable thirst for power. If you wanna call that evil, go for it. Personally I think calling someone evil is far too simplistic and dismissive.

Is that pride?

Internet experts should stop using psychiatric terms. Its straight cringe af at this point.

Attached: There will be Dubs.jpg (1200x675, 431.36K)

He's more of a realistic kind of evil. So subtle and complex, it's difficult to pinpoint the evil aspects of it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if "evil" is the right approach here. More like he grew increasingly miserable the richer he got.

A MILKSHAKE FROM A BASKET!

He's practically a textbook, dude. You don't need a PhD to see it.

Paul Dano #2 and his family deserved to get robbed

*Textbook case

I don't have a religious moral code I need to fit him to. I don't really see how it applies or is interesting.

People think he was evil?

Attached: 1641430170500.png (382x417, 324.94K)

>good father
He uses his son as a prop and sends him away when he becomes inconvenient
>gives the town money
He actually withholds all the money he can
>takes care of his guys
Several people are killed in his wells and he hushes it up to keep drilling

He also murders two people and clearly would murder many, many more if he could get away with it. He admits that he wants no-one else to succeed.

>I don't remember this.
Watch the movie some time.
>Both of them wronged him in unnatural ways that could easily be seen as unforgivable. If you weren't standing up cheering at the end...idk.
You don't murder people because they 'wrong you in unnartural ways.' Eli did nothing to deserve to the killed.
>He was angry and it wasn't a good thing to do but the kid was literally a bastard. That's why he adopted him in the first place. Because he was an evil son o- oh wait.
It wasn't just him screaming. It was the fact he rejected his son due to some petty nonsense.
>Definitely not even close to convinced.
No one else comes even close.