This 100% serious, this is not a joke question

Are there actually any documentaries out there about the history and origins of Smooth Jazz? I know there are thousands that cover various aspects of actual legitimate proper jazz, but I mean specifically the sub genre of elevator music-y bullshit they play over the pa when you’re shopping at the grocery store, or on hold with the credit card company. I wanna watch a documentary about where THAT comes from

Attached: 32E5D251-6490-47A6-A5E6-470681C8E9D2.jpg (924x634, 83.9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uCzq-uCSvfY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tavistock

ESL thread

jazz is shit why would you ever want to watch a documentary on it?

Kenny G is based

>yfw most of the zoomers in this thread were conceived to a Kenny G song

Attached: kg.jpg (1280x720, 72.79K)

Cringe

go watch vids of jazz musicians hanging and playing...or do you really need some shitty tv show to talk to you about why #9 chords with a certain voicing sound good in smooth jazz?

youtube.com/watch?v=uCzq-uCSvfY

I like some jazz but frankly a lot of it is trash, a lot of famous jazz pieces sound the same.

>jazz is shit
You have to be 18 to post here

A lot of it sounds the same desu.

Scat battle me bitch! Skeeter do skeeter bop diddly do bop be bo bop bop sheedy scoo needley brap dip dope doodly snee de bip bah dah breeee

i've been posting here since i was 18 which was a while ago now. jizz music objectively sucks

Why did he have sex with Mr Garrison?

I fucking love Kenny G bros. He seems like a nice person

its the peak music genre

I saw a short YouTube doc on hold music. You know that one song that goes:
>do do di do doo do do doooo
>shish shish shish shaw
>shish shish shish shaw

I Bought tickets to a Kenny g concert that got rescheduled because of covid. I didn't go to the reschedule concert because the girl I was going to go with broke up with me during quarantine.

Attached: Screenshot_20220331-172651_Gmail.jpg (720x1600, 287.62K)

>I first heard [Kenny G] a number of years ago playing as a sideman with Jeff Lorber when they opened a concert for my band. My impression was that he was someone who had spent a fair amount of time listening to the more pop oriented sax players of that time, like Grover Washington or David Sanborn, but was not really an advanced player, even in that style. He had major rhythmic problems and his harmonic and melodic vocabulary was extremely limited, mostly to pentatonic based and blues-lick derived patterns, and he basically exhibited only a rudimentary understanding of how to function as a professional soloist in an ensemble - Lorber was basically playing him off the bandstand in terms of actual music.

>But he did show a knack for connecting to the basest impulses of the large crowd by deploying his two or three most effective licks (holding long notes and playing fast runs - never mind that there were lots of harmonic clams in them) at the key moments to elicit a powerful crowd reaction (over and over again). The other main thing I noticed was that he also, as he does to this day, played horribly out of tune - consistently sharp.

>Not long ago, Kenny G put out a recording where he overdubbed himself on top of a 30+ year old Louis Armstrong record, the track "What a Wonderful World". With this single move, Kenny G became one of the few people on earth I can say that I really can't use at all - as a man, for his incredible arrogance to even consider such a thing, and as a musician, for presuming to share the stage with the single most important figure in our music.

>By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of.

based Pat Metheny dabbing on Kenny G

Attached: 1645148131847.jpg (1080x1086, 230.83K)

Kenny G is based because he makes insufferable jazzfags seethe

based
>mfw zooms will never listen to pat metheny

>pentatonic based
Nothing at all wrong with the primal range

I sent my 60+ year old parents tickets to hear Kenny G in concert. They had the time of their lives.