Is he right? Is film school completely useless in when it comes to becoming a director?

Is he right? Is film school completely useless in when it comes to becoming a director?

Attached: 1629065297150.png (1050x640, 556.86K)

Like every sort of higher education, you have to spend your years making connections in order to land a job. You do not go to college to learn information.

how does one go to films?

maybe the real films were the films we filmed along the film

Attached: 3B46E010-2E93-4FA2-AF2D-B178BC082B9D.jpg (530x444, 62.35K)

networking and nepotism is 90% of building a career outside of something like the trades, just being likable will get you far no matter HOW incompetent you are

As with most things in art, you either have it or you don't.
Formal education will help, but if you're completely devoid of talent, you won't achieve much success.
The opposite is true for many other fields outside of art, where hard work will often trump over talent.

sure you could probably reverse engineer films by watching thousands of them, or you could just attend a course of lectures to have all that knowledge distilled for you

if only those who can't, teach, what the fuck does anyone expect to learn from them?

Learning to distill knowledge yourself is far more important than learning to parrott other people's opinions.

Unironically yes, unless you want to be personally involved in every aspect of the production. Directing a film should involve a great deal of intuition, not just technical knowledge, otherwise it ends up becoming sterile, soulless and dishonest.

What's going on here?

Attached: ios_large_1409277160_1382485907_image.jpg (600x525, 48.24K)

Based tarantula the most influential director of the last twenty years. there are other directors who attended film school like Kubrick, Nolan, Burton, Leone etc

Attached: 3367c7224c50983f3c53b810dc19aec0b2-aaron-paul.rvertical.w330.jpg (330x412, 13.11K)

UNO FARTO

No, I went to feet.

Holy shit are you me, I would've typed almost the exact same post with the same wording, down to the use of "devoid"

he doesn't mean it's useless tho. Film school can very useful, you can learn a lot there. But it's not a secret knowledge protected from mortals. You can self-taught too.

You can't teach creativity. If you are connected you can get by with mediocre talent but you need school to back you up a bit because people will start to wonder "what gives this dude the qualification to make me sit through this garbage?". If you are talented you will eventually make it, if you are talentless buy some kneepads or don't waste your time.

>I'm a loser
>could it be because I never tried?
>no... I simply never had any talent or real chance at all, that's it
I'm using this word to the fullest extent of its meaning when I tell it to you:
COPE.

>"what gives this dude the qualification to make me sit through this garbage? Oh, he went to film school? I'll give it a chance then."
>t. no one, ever.

Attached: ad5.png (600x800, 19.2K)

so i'm looking at your post, and at , and i'm not seeing any real logical connection between them. which leads me to believe you're simply projecting.

You have obviously never been to any private screenings, half the people who come are friends of the director or friends of friends who all sniff each other's farts because they know one famous person or another, a big part of making it in a situation like that is name dropping. By the time it gets to the plebian masses the guy has already been selected.

This. I didn't respond to him because his reply was like a will smith slap I couldnt tell why he is upset.

Nah, just need parents or relatives in the business. On the job training exists in all walks of life, that shit fire is no different.

i've been to private screenings. they're little more than excuses to network and the film itself is often the worst thing about it.

exactly my point

no, it really wasn't. your point was more towards people giving a film, unto itself itself, a chance based on the education of the filmmaker. you then tried to pivot to private screenings, which, again, have little to do with film, much less its quality.