Almost chokes to death on his nuts

>almost chokes to death on his nuts
>"You married into it?"
Why did this bother him so much?

Attached: 1503530578957.jpg (1920x1080, 91.4K)

He was ancap and fiercely believed in individualism. He killed Moss's wife because she tread on him.

he doesn't like that he didn't earn it

that’s why he wipes his shoes off at the end, he has become both the treader and the treadee

If you look at the wider works of McCarthy, domestic life and evil have a strange and mysterious relationship. Judge Holden, Chigurh, and the triune in Outer Dark are all very wild and base, but the Mexican lords in the border trilogy and the corrupt justices in the Appalachian novels seem to represent the transition of evil men like Chigurh into society. Often times these corrupt officials are punished, not due to their crimes, but because they become lukewarm, and straddle the line between evil baseness and self-righteousness, which Cormac often portrays as a kind of cowardice. In Cormac's world, only the principled are awarded, whether those principles be good or bad.

Thus, Chigurh's strange reaction is a reaction to something he senses in himself. The old man married into his good life, and may have lived a life of fortune with no principle, getting by on luck and ignorant of what he was putting up. Chigurh is the same, and in the end he is punished when he errs from his principle.

I wouldn't say he senses it in himself in that moment.
I think here he feels he's above it and is disgusted by the shopkeeper's ignorance. Indeed, Chigurh is portrayed (in the book, anyway) as someone who acts purely on principle and thinks the rules he follows put him above everybody else, as the purely destructive force without any middle-ground.

He was mocking him and calling him a poorfag, basically implying that everything about the man's life was worthless. He was laughing at the idea that the gas station was worth "marrying into" as if it was some great family fortune

he was a bit of a prick here imho but that's just me

thought it was something about fate.

This seems pretty accurate to me.

Javier Bardem choked on the nut snd they chose to keep the take.

I think the mockery was more pointed at the fact he married into it rather than working for it himself.
Chigurh saw him as weak, as a man of no real experience.

I heard the nut choking was completely improvised. Bardem thought it was crucial for the character and his reaction, and, as a result, he almost died. But the Cohens and Bardem knew it was the right route to approach this character and this scene, so did a few more takes where he choked on the nut, but the one in the film is the first one they did, it was just too perfect.

He was an incel and felt enraged that this gas station attendant had a wife and he didn't.

Cohen brothers really are big kinosseurs, impressive how they went to pick a relatively obscure Spanish actor to play this role, and boy did they get their casting right.

Apart from Barden only Dicaprio could pull this off

>dude it was all a dream!
This movie is so fucking

Midwittery. Chigurh is extremely aware and concerned with causality, and I doubt he judges men in material terms. He actually treats the Clerk with a modicum of respect, as both him and the clerk are the same creature, merely on two different sides of the dualistic morality that colors humanity. The kindly old townie and the grizzled border hopping hitman are both servants of fortune, and Chigurh was merely testing the man's principle, which the man 'passes', not in his winning of the coin toss, but in his acceptance of it, no matter how trembling and bumbling.

You'll notice that he is much less kind towards Harrelson's character, who is more savvy in criminal enterprise, but whose principles are weak.

How did you even get that out of the movie?

Have you not seen the ending? The main character (the old man that feels out of place in the country) basically states to his sister that he was dreaming about his dad (anton) the night before. So fucking stupid.

bait

> bait

>The old man married into his good life
He was trying not to laugh because he married into such a shit life.

It's 100% just Chigurh making fun of the dude for marrying into owning a shit gas station lmao

Too bad they are both caretakers of a different kind. They both labor for the profits of someone else. Maybe he realised that and it was a laugh of irony.

Idiot. That was his wife.

DID YOU NAWT HEAR ME?

Bardem choked IRL and the director decided to keep that

I also heard that Bardem broke his toes filming this scene. I have no idea how.

The real midwit shit is your post my dude

They interact with like they hate each other. He was then very rude to her for no reason which you should never to your wife. She is also too young to be hus wife, they are clearly siblings.
This is part of what is meant to make the reveal of serial killer anton being their father more impactful but it doesnt work because it makes no sense. Like i said, dumb movie. Which is weird because tommy lee jones is for?

You're a genius.