How come soldiers in ancient times didn't have PTSD?

War was much more brutal back then.

Attached: 9105f4d8199690dd9114dca72f7c85c2.jpg (736x1177, 141.32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy_I_Soter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigonus_I_Monophthalmus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they did

PTSD as a concept didn't exist back then, ignorance is a blessing as they say

because they weren't faggots
no they didn't

back then you had to physically slaughter enemy soldiers with swords and spears instead of rifles and artillery so it was probably much worse

War wasn't that brutal back in the days
Most people never died in war back then.

They did. The name for it just didn't exist.
They were just called crazy lunatics and usually ended up dead sooner than later.
One of my ancestors from the 1700's fought in the great nordic war and after coming home in 1721 he stopped eating, had moments of anger and eventually killed himself by hanging.
The local church has it all written down in the books.

It's not the murder that gives you PTSD
People kill with knives everyday here and they're mentaly stable.

I'll give a hint: at the begining they thought it was the artillery sounds that caused PTSD
See shell shock

mong
retard
Real answer is probably just that it was less common due to the fact that most people would see a dead person before they even turned 10

>These possibilities must have weighed heavily on the minds of ancient soldiers and long-term effects upon their mental wellbeing are suggested throughout ancient texts. Inscriptions originating with the Assyrian Dynasty in Mesopotamia (1300-609 BC) record traumas suffered by soldiers who were called upon to fight every third year during their military service. Herodotus observed that Epizelus, an Athenian spear carrier, suffered what appeared to be psychological problems following the Marathon Wars in 490 BC. Appian of Alexandria (c. 95? – c. AD 165) described a legion veteran called Cestius Macedonicus who, when his town was under threat of capture by (the Emperor-to-be) Octavian, set fire to his house and burned himself within it. Plutarch’s Life of Marius speaks of Caius Marius’ behaviour who, when he found himself under severe stress towards the end of his life, suffering from night terrors, harassing dreams, excessive drinking and flashbacks to previous battles. These examples are just a few instances which seem to demonstrate that PTSD, or culturally similar phenomena, may be as old as warfare itself.

>War wasn't that brutal back in the days
>Most people never died in war back then.
This has to be one of the dumbest sentences I have read on any Any Forums board so far.

Attached: 1537829397823.jpg (430x442, 39.71K)

>1700
>Ancient times
I'm sure OP is talking about the ancient world

But you're partly right. People didn't had a name for that.
I mean, Aristotle thought the full moon caused madness on people. Hence the term "lunatic"

Because mentally r*tarded people weren't allowed to join the ministry back then
also if you showed any signs of mental illnesses you were obviously thrown out

You're a retard
Look it up. Most people died from diseases rather than the war itself

Because being killed was much more predictable for the average soldier than it is in modern warfare
You can get blown up by artillery that you never saw or a gunman kilometres away but in the past you'd see someone standing in the field with a bow and arrow or running at you with a sword

>most people would see a dead person before they even turned 10
le old days people were just dropping dead meme is tiring, many people would live long lives back in the day, only during the medieval period did it drop a bit

You take history channel documentaries as reality
That's why you're stupid and ignorant

>long lives
>40
?

>most people didnt die in war back then
>most people died from the diseased which also happened to be caused by the war rather than the war itself

You're incredibly stupid
Don't talk about what you don't know

They did, it's why they committed so many atrocities

how do you know they didn't?

Oh so that's why hundreds of thousands and even millions died in wars in the ancient world.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll

Attached: deaths in war.jpg (1603x2102, 1.39M)

Technically, diseases happened because a lot of people were grouped together with no knowledge of modern hygiene.
So yes, it wasn't the war itself that killed. Just like people that starved to death in WWII were not counted as war casualties even though the severe food shortages wouldn't have happened without the war

phsychiatrists werent a thing therefore could not come up with its concept.
Also wounded people would most likely

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy_I_Soter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigonus_I_Monophthalmus
both these guys lived to their 80s, obviously not everyone lived this long but the main reason live expectancies are lower in ancient times is because more kids would die young but if they got older they would live normaly

If living in a society where violence and hypervigilance kept them alive—such as prehistoric times or societies where war is a constant—they would be more likely to survive than not.

Only in very recent times would "PTSD" qualify as maladaptive traits within the context that we live in.

I need a better source.
We know that ancient writers exaggerated to improve their country's(or legion, companies, divisions and so on) prestige

No, I actually studied history in uni.
How about you?

Why do you think this is relevant?
No one cares about your degree here

it's as brutal as back then, you can die without knowing where the attack came from. you no longer need to exercise your muscles, a recruit just needs to aim well and kill a professional soldier

>I need a better source
Go fuck your self user.
Where did you get your own info from then?
Please tell me, you almighty wizard of holy knowledge!!!

>I need a better source
Better source than the actual writers from that time?
No wonder your country is a 3rd world shithole if the people there are like you.
Even our brain dead somali rapefugees are smarter than that.

Attached: 1634937598223.gif (255x248, 1.66M)

He's correct. Napoleon was born in 1769 and he was already familiar with dead bodies by the time he was 8 years old. You have to remember that this was a time when people were still being executed in public and children were used to run long errands outside. People would have seen a hanging, a stoning, etc. well before adulthood and be conditioned to think of that as normal.