Riker and Worf are unironically the best characters on TNG and there's nothing you can do about it...

Riker and Worf are unironically the best characters on TNG and there's nothing you can do about it. Riker should be the captain of his own ship, but instead he squanders it as the first officer.

Attached: the next generation.png (575x760, 1.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6tUp0sYJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They go over this in multiple episodes. Riker just likes Picard too much. That's why he keeps refusing promotion or reassignment

Just came here to say that picture is one of the few really really good posters I've seen of TNG so far

>Riker should be the captain of his own ship, but instead he squanders it as the first officer.
this is the premise of several episodes
why are you presenting it as if it's a hot take

I do not like Worf. Red pill me on Worf. I've watched DS9 and TNG and he is arguably the worst and least interesting character in both (for characters that were in >1 seasons so Ezri and Pulasky don't count)

maybe he just started watching

His best moments are when they use him for humor. The best part about his storylines are how they explore Klingon internal politics. All the stuff with this kid and parents are some of the worst parts of the show

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6tUp0sYJI

>Riker should be the captain of his own ship, but instead he squanders it as the first officer.
Real World Answer:
They were going to.

Patrick Stewart (Picard) threatened to not renew his contract, and to leave the show after "Best of Both Worlds" season finale. So they created a story where Picard would die, and Riker would become Captain for the remainder of the show.

Why did Patrick threaten to leave TNG? Patrick demanded more sex scenes and for him to be an action hero saving people. He said he was bored with the Picard character and wanted to do other projects yadda yadda. Patrick also hated that Picard was so formal and conservative.

The writers and Producers refused to give into his demands. They made Riker the temporary Captain of the Enterprise in case Patrick left.

They called Patrick Stewart's bluff. Patrick backed down, caved, and agreed to do more seasons of TNG.

Riker is defacto the second best captain in Star Fleet. Being the trusted #2 under the top captain on the flagship vessel is a better gig then captain of some shit boat in the ass end of the Alpha quadrant. I would be shocked if any captain in Star Fleet would treat Riker as anything other than an equal. If only because refusing to do so would mean dealing with Picard. Picard see's Riker as his equal in skill of command, that's why he never worries about leaving The Enterprise in his hands. Riker did nothing wrong refusing those command assignments. He's getting tons of experience and is set up for success on the Admiral track. Riker also knows Picard can't avoid the Admiral promotion forever, then Riker is a sure thing to replace Picard as top captain.

Attached: 1648050006627.jpg (880x660, 132.54K)

I always enjoyed the military quality that Picard exuded in the show. He did ease up a good bit in seasons 4 and 5 though. Especially with the introduction of the captain's sweater looking thing

worf is good in DS9 but if you're unironically saying worf is good in TNG I think you're just married to the "idea" of worf, and not looking at him with any objective lens whatsoever.

>Patrick backed down
Lmao what a pushover.
Based Rick Berman.

>captain's sweater looking thing
I hated that shit.
Nobody except him wears anything like that on the show.
It made Picard look like a special snowflake.

>I would be shocked if any captain in Star Fleet would treat Riker as anything other than an equal
Jellico wants to have a word with you.

He IS the captain of a space super carrier after all.

those are great, but I'd be remiss in failing to mention Geordi, he's very relatable and likable.

Barclay is also great, his episodes are all great.

It looked like a strange mix between his usual uniform and some casual jacket.

>Lmao what a pushover.
For all his bluster, Patrick was knew he was out of league.

Without Star Trek, he would have been a third rate actor that would have never achieved huge fame.

>Jellico wants to have a word with you.
That was more of a case of Riker thinking he had more "authority" than he actually did.

Jellico did treat Riker with respect at first. But Riker hated Jellico's orders changes. Like for some strange reason, changing shift rotations and running battle more drills is just SO BAD. Riker hated serving underneath him. So Riker threw a hissy fit thinking he could match Jellico but got relieved of command.

This should have been an eye opener to Riker that he needed to move on his with Career. That he may be the Commander of the Enterprise, but he's still not technically a Captain. Many people will give Riker respect, but even he still has to bow down to a Captain's rank.

Picard was right. Riker needed to move on. He's outgrown his 1st officer rank and didn't need a net. He's like the guy that's retaken a class over and over again. He's too familiar with it not and not learning anything.

Also wtf is Picard doing. He's spent almost 30 years in Starfleet but still isn't an Admiral? The guy needed to move on too.

People can reach the rank of Navy Admiral in 20 to 30 years. And Picard is supposed to be a Hero of Starfleet and a well known for saving the Federation.

Picard was guilty of the same things he was accusing Riker of doing. Waiting around too long.

Also he wouldn’t get to smash Betazoid pussy, mouth, and asshole regularly on his own ship.

Attached: 42AA88C5-8AC2-4528-B8FD-D81AE14A8A89.jpg (1023x1205, 117.25K)

Basically correct. Klingons in TNG onward are presented as a violent honor culture in a mostly nonjudgmental way, and Worf’s upbringing/interactions with them have a Stranger in a Strange Land/John Carter of Mars quality to them that adds depth to the usual planet-a-day culture clashes aboard the Enterprise

Riker doesn't even do anything other than shout at people whenever he gets a crumb of autonomy.

When you get older you'll find out that after a point you just don't want any more responsibility or the pain of dealing with managerial nonsense. There's a reason people in senior leadership positions tend to be outright asexual or autistic.

Attached: Conflict-Avoidant Picard.jpg (1338x1080, 611.88K)

I thought Riker really wanted the Enterprise to command.

Which I thought was strange. Why not just get any other Galaxy class ship?

>chain of command
Riker really fucking annoyed me in that 2-parter.
And Picard was most annoying in Pegasus.
And I'm not talking about his usual moralfagging about the cloak and treaties. I'm talking about the way he treated Riker while the latter was under direct orders not to disclose all that shit about Pegasus