Haha yeah bro, Pynchon is the only author whoyou couldn't adapt to the big scree-

Haha yeah bro, Pynchon is the only author whoyou couldn't adapt to the big scree-

Attached: ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg (1600x2269, 766.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x6Qn-eYE-WM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>*has multiple movie interpretations in ur path*

Yeah which is why OP was right to make fun of those dorks

I'm ashamed to admit I never finished this series

same but I'm re-reading it now and it's bringing back so many memories. I love how depressing it is for a kids books series. The first movie nailed the tone.

I've only read the first 6 or 7 novels when I was a kid. I had fun with them. I haven't seen any either of the UF popular movies so I don't know how good they are. The only Pynchon movie I've seen is Inherent Vice.

You want unadaptable? Here you go

Attached: MalazanBookOfTheFallen.jpg (250x380, 46.88K)

>unfilmable

you can be really loose with an adaptation, but it's still an adaptation

you could put a guy in an olde timey suit and just follow him with a camera walking around Dublin, and call it an adaptation of Ulysses.
film some kids practicing tennis and call it an adaptation of Infinite Jest. film a kid running for a home run ball and call it an adaptation of Underworld

Try adapting Book of the New Sun

Attached: 1625526236010.jpg (225x225, 11.66K)

>The first movie nailed the tone
I disagree. As a kid I read the whole series 3 times but I was too young to get that the author was being tongue-in-cheek and satirical. I took it all very seriously and loved the whole thing. I remember being in elementary school and excited for the movie that was going to come out, but then when it did they completely butchered the books and went for a full-on comedy with wacky Jim Carrey. I hated it.

The books are fantastic on their own but I really don't get why everyone tries to make them so cartoonish and funny. I wish there was a movie adaptation that took a more serious, gothic approach, and let the absurdity of the books shine through without Jim Carrey forcing it.

The last book gets a bit too strange. The others are all fantastic though. 17 years later I still remember the imagery from most of the books and which is which. It's good.

you should watch the movie again. It's extremely poignant when it comes to showing the kids' loneliness
youtube.com/watch?v=x6Qn-eYE-WM

From an adult's viewpoint the whole situation is so contrived it comes off as funny. Olaf has already proven he's willing to kill so why does he bother with the disguises at all. Just walk up to Uncle Monty, shoot him and take the kids. The hardest part was finding them anyways. I loved the books as a kid even but the ending sucked so Im not sure we need more than what we got already. Whoever handles the adaptations needs to understand the tone of these stories and how campy they can get.

Eh I probably should. 5th grade me was very disappointed when it came out because they'd left out my favorite parts but as an adult I realize all movie adaptations do this. All I remember is Jim Carrey making a mockery of my "very serious" "not funny at all" book series as a kid, but you're probably right. I'll give it another shot.

why does she look eurasian

Attached: 6bbc0017991bfc34015ef89c01fd2841.png (1596x898, 845.21K)

>the ending sucked
The last book is the only one I don't recall as an adult, but I remember my impression of it as a kid and I thought it was outright bizarre and had a different tone than the rest. Can't remember why I thought that though

it does feel at times like the Jim Carey variety hour and cramming 3 books into one movie feels wrong but the set design, the atmosphere, the costumes all nail the melancholy and sometimes silly tone that the books have. As a kid I also didn't like it because it changed things but now I can see how much it got right.

the movie sucks but it has good cinematography

>cinematography
what does that even mean?

Alright you've convinced me lol. Downloading it again now

The Netflix version would have been PERFECT if not for the black casting. Also NPH was pretty weak when he had to be threatening. Show was totally saved by Patrick Warburton.

Attached: 1645937509666.jpg (630x418, 39.55K)

Framing and angles look good and shit

the netflix version was too wacky and much too light hearted

Not like the books were some grimdark edgy shit like the Wicked novel. People actually died in the show, which was enough for me, they ARE children's books after all.

Millennial Violet >>>>>> Zoomer Violet

Attached: 1646724725636.jpg (640x640, 110.02K)