Improving auditory comprehension in a foreign language

How can I do it? Despite vigorously listening to videos, comprehension of the spoken word still alludes me. Most of the syllables blend together and at times sound the same. What can I do to slowly become better with this?

Attached: 77270602-AF11-4809-8F3F-5746F8D69843.jpg (828x823, 617.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GGX9YpmU51Y
youtube.com/watch?v=ofqN5iu-tu8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What language?

No clue.

(you have to now pass me some cash and I will tell you what you need to know)

Attached: policesquadblu07.jpg (550x400, 76.05K)

Spanish. At times the syllables for “te,” “de” and “que” sound awfully similar or the gendered ends of words are completely deleted

Attached: 143E5876-81C7-4848-9028-04859E01EDC5.jpg (1920x1080, 157.43K)

What are you watching for practice? Are you around real life spanish speakers? One advice is that Spanish has so many fucked up dialects and each one might as well be their own language at times. Find the dialect you find comforting but practical to use. If you're around Mexicans, watch Mexican media etc. This will help you over time, but it will take time there is no easy button.

Blackpill: You will never acquire a native-like listening comprehension.

Is it just me or is Spanish really spoken much faster than German, English, etc...

I’ve been listening to movies, tv shows, games, songs, and everything in between. I cannot even comprehend basic phrases or sentences without watching it 3x, 5—shit maybe even 20x. I generally only Mexican Spanish with a very small amount of castellano.

Are you actively around spanish speakers everyday? This is the key. If you cannot find a way to immerse yourself, you'll never develop how you want to. If you are not in a Mexican-heavy community, find people online that you can talk to

Yeah, but the speed isn’t always a problem. I struggle coming to terms with the fact that entire sentences appear to compress into really long words phonetically without pauses.

I had the same problem with English (still have sometimes with whispering actors in movies). You'll just get used to it. If I don't understand something, I replay it, if I still don't get it, I activate the subtitles.

This, unfortunately immersion is kind of the best way of doing it. That and the fact that you need to just get used to the fact that native speakers frequently don't speak clearly and slur things together. I have the same issue with trying to learn French.

My Spanish is actually not bad, I've been at it for years and I'd even say I'm somewhat of a native speaker but I speak in a really clear way that I think a lot of people will note as sounding "off" and unnatural. It's really hard to overcome.

I find that to be futile right now because I wouldn’t be able to understand anything they said. maybe, if I could express my self to some degree and understand general concepts

For example, without context I would’ve thought he said “que la vi está bien” the syllable for “da” in “vida” drops off severely

I meant to link this clip:
youtu.be/GGX9YpmU51Y

I think the problem is something that romance speakers do called synalepha. Basically we pronounce the last vowel of a word and the first one of the next (if it starts by vowel) like it was one syllable.
Que la vidaestá bien.

youtube.com/watch?v=ofqN5iu-tu8

>sinalefa
>sin lefa
Lol, but yeah that’s definitely the problem. Thanks, I’ll look more into it

>sin lefa
Kek

Yeah that sounds like something very normal to native speakers. I know people have said the same of normal, informally spoken English. You unfortunately just have to keep at it and keep practicing because there's no other way around.

Also a general question: I was under the impression that Mexican Spanish was a bit more "clear" in this regard than other accents, can anyone tell me if that's true?

To me Mexican Spanish is the easiest to understand by far. Chilean and Argentine Spanish just sounds like a remix or some shit.