What are some other languages whose vocabulary mainly comes from a different language like English...

What are some other languages whose vocabulary mainly comes from a different language like English? I've heard that most words in Korean and Japanese are of Chinese origin and most words in Persian are from Arabic. I think Ottoman Turkish also had a lot of Arabic/Persian words but Atacuck eliminated them along with the Arabic script to replaces them with French words and ooga booga Turk words

Attached: Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg.png (1200x1196, 121.84K)

30% of our vocabulary comes from german, mostly low saxon

We have a lot that comes from German.
But we also have a large part of our vocabulary, including much, maybe even most, core vocabulary, come from Danish.

we have a couple loanwords from romance languages, slavic languages and hebrew in austrian due to our EMPVRE

By Austrian you mean the Standard German spoken there?

A large part of Welsh is from English

partly. I'm mostly talking about the dialects though cause many loanwords like Scherzl or Masn wouldn't be used in writing

But were they loaned or are they simply cognates?

Far more than that lmao, try 70%

Loaned and annihilated the native grammar, Scandinavian is much like English but with German taking the role of French

Romanian

Why did Scandinavian languages adopt so many German loanwords if they were never under any kind of German leadership?

Total economic domination. Note that this is not unnatural for them, the language was previously united but drifted apart chiefly because of religious difference

>but drifted apart chiefly because of religious difference
But they're all protestant

I refer to the period in which Scandinavia remained pagan while Germany was christian, it is in that period that they developed a different language and once trade relations resumed with their conversion, their language was once agains subjugated by German

Interesting
Probably presence of Germans alongside Scandis in Hanseatic cities and the Baltic states. Danish was likely the major vector of loaning owing to their proximity to Germany and through Danish it went to other Scandi countries

BS North germanic split off from the other germanic languages before the christianization of Germany

Maybe on a dialect level, but extensive contact and mutual intelligiblity persisted for a long time, and Old Norse only collapsed into its disgusting alien appearance afterwards. The sudden flood of linguistic influence once religious compatibility was restored really puts this beyond debate.

Bump

There have always been 10 times more Germans than Scandis, and we generally were also 10 times more culturally and economically significant than they were, and considering our proximity, especially north Germany sharing a sea with them, anything else would have been very surprising

Dravidian languages (except Tamil) have a huge amount of Sanskrit vocabulary; about 80% of Telugu words are Sanskrit. Sanskrit has also contributed greatly to the various North Indian languages; they've inherited many Sanskrit words that underwent sound changes, but they've also borrowed a lot of Sanskrit words directly (like how Spanish has both inherited and borrowed words from Latin). Sanskrit has also had a significant influence on many Southeast Asian languages due to centuries of trade and proselytization. For example, the Indonesian first person pronoun is "saya," which comes from the Sanskrit word "sahāya," meaning "follower."

Attached: India.png (2048x2048, 102.21K)

>Dravidian languages (except Tamil) have a huge amount of Sanskrit vocabulary; about 80% of Telugu words are Sanskrit.
Why?

Sanskrit was the language of religion and scholarship. It's the same reason Turkic languages have a lot of Persian words despite never being conquered by Persia.

maybe currently we can only read about 10% of the common vocabulary of chinese

So southern Indians had no religion or civilization before Indo-Aryans came?
English speakers can't read French, Spanish or Latin either

Here's a fun fact: the Pakistani national anthem is said to be written in Urdu; however, almost every word in the anthem is actually a Persian word (the only exception is a single preposition, which is a native Indian word). Urdu has many Persian loanwords, but the anthem uses several words that are extremely uncommon in Urdu. As a result, most Pakistanis are incapable of understanding their own national anthem.

>So southern Indians had no religion or civilization before Indo-Aryans came?
They did have civilization, but Sanskrit became more prestigious.
>English speakers can't read French, Spanish or Latin either
True, but I'm learning Spanish, and often I can understand a written sentence that has words I never learned because they're obvious cognates of English words.