What happened?

What happened?

Attached: 35372374_so.jpg (1650x2115, 1.81M)

It was kino. Also Final Fantasy XII was the best FF followed by Final Fantasy VI then Final Fantasy IX. Also Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VII are overrated as fuck.

Attached: 1646870591491.gif (570x720, 3.16M)

it wasn't a tv show.
cramming all of that story and context in a feature length movie is impossible.

>Final Fantasy XII was the best FF

Attached: istockphoto-1131988968-1024x1024.jpg (1024x956, 83.04K)

square shitnix are such spazztics, also check em

World wasn't ready to embrace cgi actors

Fans wanted to see Chocobos, Moogles, those summons, spiky haired teens and attractive women. TSW alienated the FF audience. It wasn't even a bad movie, it's just that it didn't appeal to the FF audience. What this film tells me though, is that Sakaguchi quite ahead of his time.

The model of Aki Rose would've been recycled not only in other films but used in other ventures as well, SquEnix does that now with fashion. Were the film a success, it would've launched Square into a multimedia company that didn't have to rely on games. It'd have outdone Sony in movie games.. probably.

Not mentioning FFV

Attached: Zrg4X54Y_400x400.jpg (400x400, 22.64K)

All tv and movies based on video games sucks ass automatically.

This. It's one of my childhood favourites.
I was confused why there were no phantoms or Gaia or Aki Ross when I first emulated the Final Fantasy I (NES version), which was my very first Final Fantasy game.

I'm glad sakaguchi is burning in kusoge hell for it

Universal/Amblin/Toho tried it again in 2019 for Cats, and it is an even bigger failure than The Spirits Within.
I do get some ironic value out of it and I go AWOOGA Mode when I see Taylor Swift, even as a mutant CGI cat; but The Spirits Within is unironically great and it's an underrated cult classic up there with Titan A.E., Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, which were all childhood classics for me.

FFV was great but was nowhere near FFVI.

/thread

>Final Fantasy
>no magic, summons, chocobos, or anything that helps to distinguish it as Final Fantasy
It's a decent scifi film, but it's not Final Fantasy in any sense of the word.

was ahead of its time and normies weren't ready for it. so much so that it bankrupt Squaresoft at that time

brainlets got hard filtered

My first exposure to Final Fantasy was FF1 on the NES.
It had no Chocobos or summons (Bahamut was in there, though). But it had mainstay FF monsters, magic, airships, Chaos, and a gorgeous Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack.
Even if it was the very first Final Fantasy, it still felt like Final Fantasy.

The Spirits Within isn't like that but I still loved it.
I think the working title Gaia: The Spirits Within was much better. They should just plaster in "From the Creators of Final Fantasy" all over the marketing similar to what Pixar or DreamWorks does.

based corporate consoomer

A company deserves to suffer for pulling this shit. Otherwise you end of with current cinema where they use IP's just for customer awareness but end up making it about whatever they think will make them the most money, what's changed since then is they now add woke elements as a way to shame customers who don't like the changes.

Also, the film was basically a cyberpunk-themed clone of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke.
It feels like Hironobu Sakaguchi just decided to imitate Miyazaki and put in a cyberpunk+aliens skin on it to not make it too obvious of a Miyazaki clone.

This, honestly. As a die-hard FF fan, I felt betrayed. Even Dr Sid was written with a S, as a last middle-finger to the fans from Sakaguchi. I still don't understand why he didn't do a classic adaptation of an old generic FF like 3 or 5, with a storyline simplified enough (crystals and stuff) to allow normies to follow the story and a rich universe that will speak to fans .

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 84.04K)

>not XI

Ya dun goofed

General Hein was the only Final Fantasy reference I got, and it was a reference to Final Fantasy III: a game which was never released in its original 2D form outside of Japan until last year, 31 years after its original Famicom release.
The 3D remake was popular on DS and iOS, though it is still one of the more obscure Final Fantasy games, and it is still not quite the FF3 that Japan got back then.

Kingsglaive felt more like a proper Final Fantasy movie, and could've stood on its own, but the way they handled it was that you had to consoom the game, the movie, the manga, the book, etc to understand the whole thing, which was shit.

Attached: kingsglaive_trailer-1200x675.jpg (1200x675, 86.63K)

piece of shit movie. should've called it something else and it would've been better.
i think it was because sony was pushing some sort of chip and ff was big so some 'big brain' moron said 'let's call it ff' and let's put a blink and you'll miss it chocobo postage stamp image somewhere. it'll drive the fan nuts. then proceeds to do a mile of coke.

>Fans wanted to see Chocobos, Moogles, those summons, spiky haired teens and attractive women.
This. I was disappointed that there were so few standards in it. Felt like those non-FF Japanese games that were rebranded FF for the American market.

Pretty kino kid movie taste man. Especially remembering Titan and Treasure Planet.

IIRC the other issue was that they hated the Aki Ross model way too hard. Like dead horse+cudgelĂ—9 year old on a sugar high over done. They put her face on everything down to cups at 7-11. Shit they did a spread on her in Maxim like she was a real person. Then the movie came out and the Uncanny Valley dumped her on her ass.